UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: 2018-19 Coaching Carousel

Not really. In the NFL coordinators serve 3 masters (HC, GM, and the owner) in college they serve 1. I don’t know if Sark wants to risk the rest of his credibility in a long work in progress team with a high risk hire as a HC over going to an offense in college that avg 45 ppg with practically everyone coming back.
Bingo. Kingsbury will last 2, at the most 3 years with the Cardinals. Of the two offers Sarkisian definitely made the better choice.

tonymitchell399

Scout Team
Aug 6, 2017

Does anyone have a clue who Bama is looking at for the offensive line postion ? This is going to be a great offensive line class hope that we get someone great.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Sark knows Quarterbacks

At this point it seems Sarkisian will be hired at Alabama in some capacity. I won't get much into his head coaching or coordinating career (I'm also too lazy to dig much into his recruiting of quarterbacks, but I'd bet that's enlightening as well), and I'll leave the off field stuff alone. Suffice it to say people have differing opinion on these subjects and I'm not trying to repeat other topics.

There's one area about Sarkisian though in which he has a truly stellar track record and that would be his work with quarterbacks. I know part of what I'm saying could be found on Wikipedia, but I'll try to make it informative enough to merit making a topic about it.

Steve ended up playing quarterback at BYU due to their track record with quarterbacks, and he was coached by Norm Chow who has worked with a great list of quarterbacks himself. Steve was WAC Offensive Player of the Year and second team All-American, along with winning the Sammy Baugh Trophy.

He became the quarterbacks coach at USC from 2001-2003. During this time Carson Palmer showed meaningful progression, culminating in his Heisman Trophy in 2002. Unlike Palmer, who started under a different regime, Matt Leinart (who had been in campus since Steve arrived) hit the ground running. He had a fantastic season in 2003, which really was the best of his college career.

In 2004, Steve became the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders. While Kerry Collins didn't magically turn into a better quarterback, he did have a slightly better season that the year before, and one of his last productive seasons in the NFL.

Steve returned to USC as the quarterbacks coach in 2005 and 2006, 2005 being Leinart's final season. John David Booty was his quarterback for 2006 and 2007, with Steve's role expanding dramatically in 2007 (from QB coach to assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and QB Coach). In 2008, his quarterback was Mark Sanchez.

In 2009, Steven became the head coach of Washington (his offensive coordinator was Doug Nussmeier by the way) and somehow managed to turn Jake Locker into a first round NFL pick. Locker goes from a 105 and 103 rating before he arrives, to a 130 and 124 rating after. He couldn't turn Locker into an NFL success, I'm not sure anyone could do that, but he turned him into an overrated NFL prospect, which is something he managed to do with a few quarterbacks in his career.

In 2011, Steve's quarterback was Keith Price, perhaps the most anonymous of the starting quarterbacks he worked with. Price had a great year though, throwing for 3,000 yards, 30 TDs, with a rating of 161, but due to the mediocre record his performance was largely unnoticed. He ended up having some ups and downs, but finished his career at Washington with nearly 9,000 yards passing and a QB rating of 143 (far better than Jake Locker's 119, heck better than Palmer's 131). Price might be one of the better success stories of Steve's career though, Keith Price was an unranked prospect (so basically a two star), and he ended up being third all time at Washington in passing yards and second all time in passing touchdowns.

In 2014, Steve accepted the head coaching job at USC. I have to start right here. Steve apparently recruited Tua to go to USC and helped bring him to the attention of Alabama. This should probably be circled, underlined, bolded, etc... Anyway, Cody Kessler was his quarterback at USC. Kessler showed dramatic improvement in 2014, showing a large jump in production (19 more TDs) and rating (almost 20 points). In 2015... well, Steve's career imploded.

Steve doesn't really have an on-field role again until 2017 with the Falcons. While it was a disappointing season based on expectations, Matt Ryan had a fairly average season. In 2018, Matt Ryan had the second best passer rating of his career.

The interesting thing I find from going over this, is that basically every quarterback Steve has had, has been relatively successful. There's no failures there (relative to the level they were at), there's no one who had huge struggles or regression. There's a lot of players playing above their potential though. This in some ways reminds me of when I was looking over Oklahoma quarterbacks in the Stoops system, where there was such consistently good play as to make it unremarkable. He coached two of the top 5 all time Washington quarterbacks. He coached two of the top 5 all time quarterbacks for USC. He coached multiple Heisman winners and multiple NFL quarterbacks.

I think the argument could be made that Sarkisian is a better offensive coordinator than a head coach, and a better quarterbacks coach than an offensive coordinator, but he darn sure looks like a great quarterbacks coach. I am legitimately excited to see what he can do with the talent that Alabama has at quarterback.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Sark knows Quarterbacks

I think people put way too much stock into that NCG and his time with the Falcons, and don't try to see the upside to what he has done throughout his career. Its kinda funny looking at some of the more over the top reactions to this potential hire are coming from people blasting CNS's decision to start Hurts in 2017 over Tua because we lacked a downfield passing game with Hurts.... I guess we cant blame Jalen's limitations anymore since Sark is probably coming back???

But I think we need coaches at the coordinator positions and not just great recruiters. I think Sark or Long would be an improvement. imo

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I’m wondering if he isn’t brought in as a QB coach and someone else comes in as OC, possibly the guy from ND
It seems like it would be a lot to hope for, that Alabama could land two different major offensive coordinators at one time, but it is theoretically possible for Sark to be co-offensive coordinator and QB coach. That would actually be exactly what he did with Kiffin at USC and that seemed to work quite well. It would give him more time to work with the quarterbacks as well.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I’d be willing to bet no one on this board has won 5 of the last 10 national titles. I’ll trust the guy that did. RTR

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: First Head Coaching Casualty of 2018

This wouldn’t really make sense to me. Why would Sark turn down an NFL OC position to be a QB coach? As awesome as it would be, my guess is we’re getting one or the other, not both.
It would if Sark wants to be get back into college football, wants to be a HC one day in CFB. Where better than under Saban where seemingly all coaches rehab their image and parlay their time into a better gig.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

At this point it seems Sarkisian will be hired at Alabama in some capacity. I won't get much into his head coaching or coordinating career (I'm also too lazy to dig much into his recruiting of quarterbacks, but I'd bet that's enlightening as well), and I'll leave the off field stuff alone. Suffice it to say people have differing opinion on these subjects and I'm not trying to repeat other topics.

There's one area about Sarkisian though in which he has a truly stellar track record and that would be his work with quarterbacks. I know part of what I'm saying could be found on Wikipedia, but I'll try to make it informative enough to merit making a topic about it.

Steve ended up playing quarterback at BYU due to their track record with quarterbacks, and he was coached by Norm Chow who has worked with a great list of quarterbacks himself. Steve was WAC Offensive Player of the Year and second team All-American, along with winning the Sammy Baugh Trophy.

He became the quarterbacks coach at USC from 2001-2003. During this time Carson Palmer showed meaningful progression, culminating in his Heisman Trophy in 2002. Unlike Palmer, who started under a different regime, Matt Leinart (who had been in campus since Steve arrived) hit the ground running. He had a fantastic season in 2003, which really was the best of his college career.

In 2004, Steve became the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders. While Kerry Collins didn't magically turn into a better quarterback, he did have a slightly better season that the year before, and one of his last productive seasons in the NFL.

Steve returned to USC as the quarterbacks coach in 2005 and 2006, 2005 being Leinart's final season. John David Booty was his quarterback for 2006 and 2007, with Steve's role expanding dramatically in 2007 (from QB coach to assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and QB Coach). In 2008, his quarterback was Mark Sanchez.

In 2009, Steven became the head coach of Washington (his offensive coordinator was Doug Nussmeier by the way) and somehow managed to turn Jake Locker into a first round NFL pick. Locker goes from a 105 and 103 rating before he arrives, to a 130 and 124 rating after. He couldn't turn Locker into an NFL success, I'm not sure anyone could do that, but he turned him into an overrated NFL prospect, which is something he managed to do with a few quarterbacks in his career.

In 2011, Steve's quarterback was Keith Price, perhaps the most anonymous of the starting quarterbacks he worked with. Price had a great year though, throwing for 3,000 yards, 30 TDs, with a rating of 161, but due to the mediocre record his performance was largely unnoticed. He ended up having some ups and downs, but finished his career at Washington with nearly 9,000 yards passing and a QB rating of 143 (far better than Jake Locker's 119, heck better than Palmer's 131). Price might be one of the better success stories of Steve's career though, Keith Price was an unranked prospect (so basically a two star), and he ended up being third all time at Washington in passing yards and second all time in passing touchdowns.

In 2014, Steve accepted the head coaching job at USC. I have to start right here. Steve apparently recruited Tua to go to USC and helped bring him to the attention of Alabama. This should probably be circled, underlined, bolded, etc... Anyway, Cody Kessler was his quarterback at USC. Kessler showed dramatic improvement in 2014, showing a large jump in production (19 more TDs) and rating (almost 20 points). In 2015... well, Steve's career imploded.

Steve doesn't really have an on-field role again until 2017 with the Falcons. While it was a disappointing season based on expectations, Matt Ryan had a fairly average season. In 2018, Matt Ryan had the second best passer rating of his career.

The interesting thing I find from going over this, is that basically every quarterback Steve has had, has been relatively successful. There's no failures there (relative to the level they were at), there's no one who had huge struggles or regression. There's a lot of players playing above their potential though. This in some ways reminds me of when I was looking over Oklahoma quarterbacks in the Stoops system, where there was such consistently good play as to make it unremarkable. He coached two of the top 5 all time Washington quarterbacks. He coached two of the top 5 all time quarterbacks for USC. He coached multiple Heisman winners and multiple NFL quarterbacks.

I think the argument could be made that Sarkisian is a better offensive coordinator than a head coach, and a better quarterbacks coach than a head coach, but he darn sure looks like a great quarterbacks coach. I am legitimately excited to see what he can do with the talent that Alabama has at quarterback.
I guess it will be a good thing that he and Tua already have a relationship, but since he'll probably only coach Tua one year, Sark's biggest influence may be on Taulia, Tyson and future commit Beck.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

He's never coached offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But he’s had some pretty stout offensive lines (and play). Wouldn’t be the worse choice for Oline coach.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

But he’s had some pretty stout offensive lines (and play). Wouldn’t be the worse choice for Oline coach.

Bielema is good in his element. Meaning: 1 team state teams, weak division, and old type of teams. Out of his element he finds himself outgunned, out matched, and out smarted constantly. He is a great d line coach but that is about it.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

If Sark comes gotta think he won't be here long.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.