UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: First Head Coaching Casualty of 2018

Tosh interviewing for Houston looks more like a test run than anything. This job was expected to be Hogo's for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Sounds like Josh Gattis is heading to Maryland with Locksley as the offensive coordinator. This is just insane. The poaching of our assistants and coordinators must be addressed. Brent Key is off to Georgia Tech so looks like a complete rebuild of the staff again..

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Sounds like Josh Gattis is heading to Maryland with Locksley as the offensive coordinator. This is just insane. The poaching of our assistants and coordinators must be addressed. Brent Key is off to Georgia Tech so looks like a complete rebuild of the staff again..
I agree. We need to start having some buyouts. I understand leaving for a head coaching gig but man this bit us in the but big time in the championship game. Look no further than linebacker play to see what frequent changes in coaches does to players. How long before this is used against us in recruiting. Open the check book keep the best coaches here.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I agree. We need to start having some buyouts. I understand leaving for a head coaching gig but man this bit us in the but big time in the championship game. Look no further than linebacker play to see what frequent changes in coaches does to players. How long before this is used against us in recruiting. Open the check book keep the best coaches here.
Luckily there's an early signing period now and we have the #1 class all but locked up or I think this would really hurt is in recruiting..

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Re: 2018-19 Coaching Carousel

I thought Coach addressed the coaching turnover issue last year with all the young coaches brought on board. Could have sworn I remember him have some stipulation that all new coaches wouldn’t be one and dones. Guess not. One things for sure, it seems a LOT of coaches don’t like working with Coach Saban and have shown him ZERO loyalty.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I thought Coach addressed the coaching turnover issue last year with all the young coaches brought on board. Could have sworn I remember him have some stipulation that all new coaches wouldn’t be one and dones. Guess not. One things for sure, it seems a LOT of coaches don’t like working with Coach Saban and have shown him ZERO loyalty.
Young coaches may not adapt well to the work ethic coach requires....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

To be fair they're all taking promotions. There's only 1 OC and 1 DC so any assistant or position coach like Gattis has nowhere to move up at Alabama unless there's a coordinator spot open. Honestly, Gattis needs some experience before he'd be considered for the OC job at an elite program. I can't blame the coaches necessarily and not sure what the solution is but hopefully Saban can find some middle ground where assistants can move up in their career but without so many one and dones..

edhaints

Dec 2, 2016

I agree. We need to start having some buyouts...
If buyouts for assistant coaches are allowed, then I think this is exactly what we need. Coming to Bama for one year makes these guys a hot commodity but that's obviously not good for our program. Pay new assistant coaches well but with a high enough buyout that they are practically untouchable for the first 3 years.

Side note, I'd be embarrassed to have coached at Bama but have no ring to show for it.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

If buyouts for assistant coaches are allowed, then I think this is exactly what we need. Coming to Bama for one year makes these guys a hot commodity but that's obviously not good for our program. Pay new assistant coaches well but with a high enough buyout that they are practically untouchable for the first 3 years.

Side note, I'd be embarrassed to have coached at Bama but have no ring to show for it.
The only thing that buyouts accomplish is getting stuck with a coach that doesn't want to be there. Exhibit 1: Anthony Grant.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

All buyouts accomplish is getting stuck with a coach that doesn't want to be there. Exhibit 1: Anthony Grant.
You can still be fired for cause. Buyouts will at a minimum let you start the job knowing you are going to be there for 3 years. It would disincentivize other schools from poaching our staff every year. Also at a minimum you would not come here for one year than jump ship. We are a stepping stool rather than a destination for young coaches. 3 years is not a long time to get the benefit of that Coach Saban shine on you.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

You can still be fired for cause. Buyouts will at a minimum let you start the job knowing you are going to be there for 3 years. It would disincentivize other schools from poaching our staff every year. Also at a minimum you would not come here for one year than jump ship. We are a stepping stool rather than a destination for young coaches. 3 years is not a long time to get the benefit of that Coach Saban shine on you.
I was looking at the other angle, the coach wants to leave but he cannot because he is stuck with a large buyout. My personal opinion is that if a coach wants to leave then let him go.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

Brent Key to Georgia Tech... I could have sworn I saw that on here somewhere but couldn't find it just now.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Locks, Key and Gattis. This gets old year after year.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.