UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I imagine Sark and Butch Jones will be short timers but Sal and Flood are career position coach types.
I'm going to bet that Sark and BJ may settle down and enjoy their status and money for a while. After a while you loose the desire to "climb the ladder" and just enjoy a good job, a good family and good friends.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
24 signed already, doesn't matter that much right now and Alabama will have a chance to establish themselves on the field before any of that takes root with the next class.
In which case Alabama, as I said will already have established themselves on the field.

You can't point to Alabama's team that is doing well on the field and be like look at that train wreck over there. By that point Alabama can easily counter that the coaches that left were the problem.

The only way this really works is if Alabama is stinking things up on the field and I think we both find that unlikely. The biggest impact this could have had, like it had last year (when there was a bit of a mess), was in landing a good enough class this year. That's already done basically. This is where having the class already finished so to speak, is a big asset. Negative recruiting and coaching turnover can't ruin it because it's already done for the most part.
Exactly right. I mentioned in one of the threads that if there wasn't an early signing period we'd be in deep trouble. But, as it is now just about the entire class is signed. Next years class will be swayed by the new hires and another CFP birth..

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I imagine Sark and Butch Jones will be short timers but Sal and Flood are career position coach types.
You may be right but I would think that, if they stick around 2 maybe 3 years, both of them could land bigtime HC jobs. Neither are poor (Jones as the poorest with a net worth of about $15m) and crave that next big gig back to fame. Being patient and learning from Coach in his prime (and I think he is still there) will pay dividends for all of those coaches in T-Town looking for future success.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In which case Alabama, as I said will already have established themselves on the field.

You can't point to Alabama's team that is doing well on the field and be like look at that train wreck over there. By that point Alabama can easily counter that the coaches that left were the problem.

The only way this really works is if Alabama is stinking things up on the field and I think we both find that unlikely. The biggest impact this could have had, like it had last year (when there was a bit of a mess), was in landing a good enough class this year. That's already done basically. This is where having the class already finished so to speak, is a big asset. Negative recruiting and coaching turnover can't ruin it because it's already done for the most part.
Actually, we still have 2-3 big dogs still on the board who are being worked this way. Also, for 2020, it places us in a position of being forced to do well, or the chorus will ramp up...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It is gone.
What did it say?
I can't remember exactly but it seemed to ask himself if Bama was through promoting within and he said something like "Jimmy Lake coming on board would suggest "YES"" and yes was in quotations. Again paraphrasing and recalling best I can.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I

Well, from the things that have come out, and the manner in which some left, that seems to be self evident. Win or lose the NCG , most of these changes were going to happen!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Actually, we still have 2-3 big dogs still on the board who are being worked this way. Also, for 2020, it places us in a position of being forced to do well, or the chorus will ramp up...
Right on with that. Recruiting is a 365 day endeavor. But all of these new hires are old hands at recruiting. Alfano even remarked at how Coach Flood was the first to offer him in the 8th grade. Sark had Tua as a silent and Sal can kill it on the trail. I mean, I am really blown away with what Coach has put together in such a short time.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I can't remember exactly but it seemed to ask himself if Bama was through promoting within and he said something like "Jimmy Lake coming on board would suggest "YES"" and yes was in quotations. Again paraphrasing and recalling best I can.
Man if we can get Lake...wow.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
From Realdawg.com

The rumors (again) of Jimmy Lake having interviewed for the Alabama job began swirling in the usual silly-season fashion, but Realdawg.com confirmed that the Husky coach is not going anywhere.

First, let’s separate fact from fiction:

Lake did not interview for the Alabama job. He had considered the interview, but then reconsidered and didn’t go on that trip.

He turned down the position with Alabama last year as well.

Lake was offered a position at Colorado as well, he also turned this down (this was last month).

We learned that Lake was offered a substantial raise — he makes 1.1 million right now and we’ve heard that new number is somewhere in the 1.4 to 1.7 range.
The new number at UW or UA? A little vague, but the article says Lake was recruiting in California . The article I believe was yesterday.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From Realdawg.com

The new number at UW or UA? A little vague, but the article says Lake was recruiting in California . The article I believe was yesterday.
Based on what you quoted, that number is what they're saying UW upped his salary to.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Lake stays at UW he should send Saban a thank you card. I wonder if Sexton is his agent.
For whatever reason Im having a hard time believing a 1 year (3 if you count co DC) DC is going to be getting paid 1.4 to 1.7 million at Washington. It sounds like someone is just telling a good fish story.

FWIW I have my doubts on Lake coming as the story goes more dead, but the Washington reporting seems as outlandish as some of the Bama reporting on this. I think we are all in the dark when folks like Suttles and Cecil are somewhat shocked and confused about some of these developments.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
For whatever reason Im having a hard time believing a 1 year (3 if you count co DC) DC is going to be getting paid 1.4 to 1.7 million at Washington. It sounds like someone is just telling a good fish story.

FWIW I have my doubts on Lake coming as the story goes more dead, but the Washington reporting seems as outlandish as some of the Bama reporting on this. I think we are all in the dark when folks like Suttles and Cecil are somewhat shocked and confused about some of these developments.

Lake is the second highest assistant coach in the PAC12 at $1.1 mil. Jim Leavitt of Oregon makes $1.7 mil.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Crazy thing is, while we are chasing these stories that may or may not be fake news, Coach is out there hiring our next D coordinator who is totally off the radar - like Lorenzo Ward.

We wouldn’t have a board without hindsight and prognostication. That includes coaches and coaching searches! ;)

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Crazy thing is, while we are chasing these stories that may or may not be fake news, Coach is out there hiring our next D coordinator who is totally off the radar - like Lorenzo Ward.
Coach always seems to come up with a surprise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.