UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Re: UA Coaching Carousel (Locks, Gattis, Key, Enos, Tosh, and ???)

Hearing Sal Sunseri name for LB coach from other boards. I could distinctly remember him complaining about hours of work with Saban and then his son leaving and some comments.

Looks like CNS has already forgiven son.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

Move Coach Kool to OLB which is essentially a DE with coverage skills and bring back Bo Davis. Not saying it could happen but that would be a formidable D-Line.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Didn't CNS go "youth" about this time last year in order to be a better recruiting team? It worked, obviously.

But now it's apparent they weren't ready to coach so my question is what happens during the next recruiting cycle if we are losing all these great recruiters?

Hope we don't make the same mistake but in reverse this time.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

Hearing Sal Sunseri name for LB coach from other boards. I could distinctly remember him complaining about hours of work with Saban and then his son leaving and some comments.

I believe it's Vinnie, not Sal.

Last edited:

pengoulin

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 29, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

Just saw the name being floated for spot on staff: Bob Bostad.
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1085920453057757186

[FONT=&quot]Hearing top candidates for [/FONT]#RollTide[FONT=&quot] offensive line job are Kyle Flood, most recently Atlanta Falcons assistant offensive line coach, and [/FONT]#Wisconsin[FONT=&quot] assistant Bob Bostad. Bostad currently coaches LBs but built rep as Wisconsin's O-line coach from 2008-11 and then with 2 NFL teams[/FONT]

ColaTider

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2015
Columbia, SC

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/16/18186046/alabama-coaches-leaving-staff

this article does a nice job of highlighting the 2 extremes. Bama's turnover is extreme but so too is Clemson's lack of turnover. I understand their coordinators being satisfied somewhat but surprised the position coaches aren't jumping for promotions elsewhere.

I also think it makes Saban / Bama's run even more impressive in a lot of ways.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

I heard about this from an insurance colleague of mine at an event I attended last month about Vinnie doing an about face from the insurance field and coming back as a GA and Sal would be coming back too. I saw a video clip of some on field pregame warm ups and I have to say I was envious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah that defense was pretty stout this year for Wisconsin. Reading his bio though, makes you think he will definitely be more in the running for the O-line coach given his experience and reputation for putting guys in the league. Regardless, he is a great coach looks like.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Let's look at the changes thus far and you tell me where the entitlement nature is at play:

Locks - goes from OC to HC in his home area

Key - took lateral move to alma mater and all signs are it was a "suggested" move

Enos - got the play calling duties he wanted as OC that Saban obviously wasn't going to give him

Gattis - see Enos

Tosh - goes from DC to NFL position coach, and move appears to be pushed by Saban

You can argue if Gattis or Enos was ready for the duties, but how are any of those moves based on coaches and their families being "entitled?"

As in the business world, some guys are more content with maybe not making as much or having the success if it means comparable money and more family time (Key and Gattis each have little kids).
I was just trying to draw a general contrast between the environment of being an assistant 40 yrs ago and what it has evolved into today. Loyalty, commitment, and honoring agreements are now secondary because of the huge amount of money that can be made in the coaching ranks.

Leaving to accept a promotion or upward career move is understandable, as in the case of Enos and Gattis imo, if no agreements were violated.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018

And we know Wisc doesnt pay much for coaches ... see Bilema

Yeah that defense was pretty stout this year for Wisconsin. Reading his bio though, makes you think he will definitely be more in the running for the O-line coach given his experience and reputation for putting guys in the league. Regardless, he is a great coach looks like.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I was just trying to draw a general contrast between the environment of being an assistant 40 yrs ago and what it has evolved into today. Loyalty, commitment, and honoring agreements are now secondary because of the huge amount of money that can be made in the coaching ranks.

Leaving to accept a promotion or upward career move is understandable, as in the case of Enos and Gattis imo, if no agreements were violated.
“Violated” is a bit of a fuzzy area now with the buyout clauses in these contracts. The only thing violated most likely was an eye to eye agreement with CNS.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

“Violated” is a bit of a fuzzy area now with the buyout clauses in these contracts. The only thing violated most likely was an eye to eye agreement with CNS.

That’s exactly what I was talking about.

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

Conversely, how many times has Saban "violated" this same agreement by pushing a guy out after one year?
I can't imagine Saban telling an assistant that his job is safe for 2 years regardless of performance. Has to be a one sided agreement.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017

I think that Saban was so desperate to keep him that he promoted him before he was ready. Pretty much everyone on this board expressed some concern when he was promoted, but were okay with it because of his previous work with the LBs and in recruiting. He would still be in the role, IMO, if not for running into the Clemson buzz saw. Saban would have given him more time to grow into the job.
I think you are spot on....Tosh might not have the ability or knack to be a defensive coordinator.....everyone has different talents and Bama is not the place to learn on the job....I think this move had to take place and as difficult as it probably was for Saban its his responsibility to make the tough calls.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I can't imagine Saban telling an assistant that his job is safe for 2 years regardless of performance. Has to be a one sided agreement.
And if an assistant is good enough to get a promotion that becomes an issue because he didn't fulfill the agreement?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.