UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: Lemanski Hall, Todd Bates,Mickey Conn...

I'm getting the feeling that CNS was beyond, and I mean beyond measurable, ticked at what Gattis did. Me thinks he's still chapped about it. Anyone notice how Butch is no longer go to Maryland? :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: UA Coaching Carousel (Locks, Gattis, Key, Enos, Tosh, and ???)

Golding just coached the ILB group to their worst season under Saban. Him getting a promotion based on that would make me question Saban's sanity.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't see him getting the permanent playcalling responsibilities. If Karl Scott ends up going somewhere else (I don't know if he will), I wouldn't be surprised for him to move back to DBs where he has more experience.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Saban is cleaning house. Probably, Miss Terry is the only one that is safe.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Re: Lemanski Hall, Todd Bates,Mickey Conn...

This is crazy. Have we EVER had this much turnover?

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018

Saban is cleaning house. Probably, Miss Terry is the only one that is safe.
At what point is it that the house is cleaning Saban vs Saban is cleaning house? I certainly can see that a coach with Saban's stature would/could get rid of and get who he wants...but this seems different to me. Seems like the coaches are saying i've had enough of this environment and i'll go make a lateral move...similar money...and not put up with Saban! Has it become a personal knock on Saban's style? These are not anwswers...they are questions and observations.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL

If these idiots think theyre being overworked when they are getting paid $800k to a springboard of further career success and imminent promotions, then there is a problem. *With them.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017

I like Tosh a lot. If we could have held onto Pruitt for a few more years, Tosh would probably have been content as a position coach during that time and may have been more ready to take over as DC. The staff poaching has become ridiculous.

As for Tosh being a DL coach, wasn't that his position in college?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

At what point is it that the house is cleaning Saban vs Saban is cleaning house? I certainly can see that a coach with Saban's stature would/could get rid of and get who he wants...but this seems different to me. Seems like the coaches are saying i've had enough of this environment and i'll go make a lateral move...similar money...and not put up with Saban! Has it become a personal knock on Saban's style? These are not anwswers...they are questions and observations.
But that's not really happening. Gattis, Enos and Locksley all got promotions with there new jobs at other schools. Tosh was clearly told to look for something else or wasn't ok with being demoted.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Unfortunately I think most of these guys—despite the high pressure of the job— and their families live in a bubble and in an entitlement culture. Unlike as recent as 45 years ago, these guys can make huge money being a journeyman and constantly moving around, without ever being a HC. Saban is one of the last few out there that started out when assistants actually did not make that much and actually had to work and produce to move up the coaching income ladder.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Found this interesting. Saban pulled play calling duties from Tosh as the season went on.:

Multiple sources confirmed to The Athletic that Golding took on more and more responsibilities from Lupoi as the season went on, to the point that Golding was calling the defense. Most will assume that Golding is next in line to coordinate the Crimson Tide defense. However, that’s not a given. Saban will exhaust all avenues to bring in an experienced defensive mind, preferably one who is familiar with Saban’s system. That doesn’t mean that Golding won’t be the defensive coordinator. It’s just not a slam dunk decision as it was when Smart left and Saban made exactly one phone call to fill the position, and that was to Pruitt. At this time, the expectation is that Golding will remain with the program in 2019.
Just want to say who ever called that stunt on the one yard line and moved Q from the point of attack should not be making defensive calls.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Just want to say who ever called that stunt on the one yard line and moved Q from the point of attack should not be making defensive calls.
He was getting double-teamed, all night long, and the one play where you have him stunting is the one where they only have to go 1 yard? Gee, even a complete football idiot (like me, and not ashamed to admit it) probably knows better.

Nope, that is a definite alpha charlie moment.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: UA Coaching Carousel (Locks, Gattis, Key, Enos, and ???)

I really liked Tosh as an OLB’s coach and felt we made huge strides with him there.
While I like Tosh, our Defense took a dip this year.
First of the year, it wasn't obvious.
When we got to the meat of our schedule, our Defense wasn't what it used to be.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: UA Coaching Carousel (Locks, Gattis, Key, Enos, and ???)

Hmmmmm!

1. Is the SKY falling as we speak?

or

2. Is the PROCESS working to PERFECTION?
We are witnessing a house cleaning.
We had several coaches who were not cutting it.
We also lost a couple we were not anticipating.
IT HAPPENS.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

If these idiots think theyre being overworked when they are getting paid $800k to a springboard of further career success and imminent promotions, then there is a problem. *With them.
At some point assistant coaches have to earn their keep.
We had several who under performed.
Some of the under performers actually wanted a promotion. Not happening.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

If they can't hack it then good riddance.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017

The defense wasn't expected to be elite but it became more and more obvious that Tosh was in over his head....he looked confused on the sideline and his players were a reflection of him...Bama gave up 31 points to the worse team in the SEC....ILB was suspect all year and Mack Wilson for all his talent does not possess the football savvy/intellect to call the defense....we were missing the alpha LB that we traditionally have had in the Saban era =McClain, Hightower, CJ Mosley, Shaun D Hamilton, Ruben Foster.....

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.