UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: 2018-19 Coaching Carousel

Also not sure why Sark would turn down an NFL OC gig unless he could call plays. So, this sounds off.
I seriously doubt Alabama gets Sark, Long, and promotes Butch, that's for sure.

However, Sark going back to college where he's far more familiar does make a fair bit of sense.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Also not sure why Sark would turn down an NFL OC gig unless he could call plays. So, this sounds off.
Not really. In the NFL coordinators serve 3 masters (HC, GM, and the owner) in college they serve 1. I don’t know if Sark wants to risk the rest of his credibility in a long work in progress team with a high risk hire as a HC over going to an offense in college that avg 45 ppg with practically everyone coming back.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

The Cardinals are an absolute dumpster fire. Fired their coach after one year when they knew it was going to be a terrible season. Then they hired Kingsbury as HC. Going to Arizona right now would be a very bad move.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

Not really. In the NFL coordinators serve 3 masters (HC, GM, and the owner) in college they serve 1. I don’t know if Sark wants to risk the rest of his credibility in a long work in progress team with a high risk hire as a HC over going to an offense in college that avg 45 ppg with practically everyone coming back.
I'm saying it's unlikely that he turned down an NFL OC gig to be a non-playcalling college co-OC, not that it unlikely he turned down an NFL OC job to be a full college OC.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I seriously doubt Alabama gets Sark, Long, and promotes Butch, that's for sure.

However, Sark going back to college where he's far more familiar does make a fair bit of sense.

A couple of years with Kingsbury probably would of helped his understanding of new fangled offensive philosophy. But His biggest knock in Atlanta had more to do with how he called plays. He never played chess, never manipulated, set the defense up for what was coming down the road. Maybe he learned from his mistakes

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I'm saying it's unlikely that he turned down an NFL OC gig to be a non-playcalling college co-OC, not that it unlikely he turned down an NFL OC job to be a full college OC.
Considering it’s the Cardinals I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch. But it’s also assuming that 90% of what has came out is fact as well.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

But His biggest knock in Atlanta had more to do with how he called plays. He never played chess, never manipulated, set the defense up for what was coming down the road. Maybe he learned from his mistakes
I pointed this out last year, but here you go:
2018 Atlanta was 6th in total yards. 7-9
2017 Atlanta was 8th in total yards. 10-7
2016 Atlanta was 2nd in total yards. (obviously the aberration) 11-5
2015 Atlanta was 7th in total yards. 8-8
2014 Atlanta was 8th in total yards. 6-10

So first, let's be clear. What happened with Sark and the Atlanta offense was regression toward the mean. He didn't turn them into an offensive juggernaut, but he also didn't have them playing below where they should have been either.

Secondly, his area of expertise is not in my opinion best served in the NFL (I said this all along). He's a guy who really came into his own working with quarterbacks and being a college coordinator. What's what he does, that's what he's good at.

Just look at the list of quarterbacks he has worked with, guys like Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Mark Sanchez. He knows how to work with college QBs, he knows how to run a college offense. That's his pedigree.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

So I don't run the risk of getting a vacation from Tidefans I will just say I do not like this hire.
Guess for a change, I'm gonna keep my opinion to myself...
NOT...
I looked at the calendar, It's not April Fools Day.
I'm honestly at a loss for words.

I think back when we hired Kiffin, I was dead set against it.
I was pleasantly surprised. Lane kept Defenses guessing, and called some brilliant games.
THEN...
Joey came out...

SO... I'm gonna wait and see.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I wasn’t judging his ability as an offensive coordinator, his play calling at critical times is my biggest criticism. I already knew all those stats you put up. But , He doesnt manipulate the defense with play calling on the goal line or to set up explosive plays. He did ok as a coordinator, but, he also he had the keys to a Ferrari. My opinion is we will see.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I pointed this out last year, but here you go:
2018 Atlanta was 6th in total yards. 7-9
2017 Atlanta was 8th in total yards. 10-7
2016 Atlanta was 2nd in total yards. (obviously the aberration) 11-5
2015 Atlanta was 7th in total yards. 8-8
2014 Atlanta was 8th in total yards. 6-10

So first, let's be clear. What happened with Sark and the Atlanta offense was regression toward the mean. He didn't turn them into an offensive juggernaut, but he also didn't have them playing below where they should have been either.

Secondly, his area of expertise is not in my opinion best served in the NFL (I said this all along). He's a guy who really came into his own working with quarterbacks and being a college coordinator. What's what he does, that's what he's good at.

Just look at the list of quarterbacks he has worked with, guys like Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Mark Sanchez. He knows how to work with college QBs, he knows how to run a college offense. That's his pedigree.
You also have to recognize that Atlanta hasn't had a reliable defense the 3-4 years. So we have to factor that into the equation.

It looks we will go back to more ball control balanced offense. In Tua, coach has a QB that can execute the prostyle passing game. Plus fewer RPOs and more power zone blocking plays will mean fewer hits on Tua through the season.

Out of everyone discussed I think Sark is the best option.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: First Head Coaching Casualty of 2018

Looks like Chip Long will be OC, Sark will be co-OC / QB coach, Butch Jones will be WR’s coach

Per someone in twitter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Looks like Chip Long will be OC, Sark will be co-OC / QB coach, Butch Jones will be WR’s coach

Per someone in twitter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This wouldn’t really make sense to me. Why would Sark turn down an NFL OC position to be a QB coach? As awesome as it would be, my guess is we’re getting one or the other, not both.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'd take that, would be a ton of talent on the offensive side. But, still wondering how Saban would get both Chip and Sark to accept that could almost be termed a demotion.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Sounds ridiculous. Will believe it when the hires are announced.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.