Going to first game in Sept - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Suspended

Re: Going to first game in Sept

I was stationed in Ft McLellan (in Anniston) for MP school in 83. Havnt been back there since

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xxsechxx View Post
    Never been to a Tide game before. I'm flying into Atlanta then driving the rest of they way. Whats going on Friday nights? Where to go for pre game activities and where to stay pretty close to stadium thats not gonna cost an arm and a leg? Thanks for the advice in advance.

I just checked the other games that day.

Ole Miss at Alabama

Mississippi State at Auburn

Texas A&M vs. Arkansas (at Arlington, Texas)

Towson at Florida

Kentucky at South Carolina

Northern Illinois at Vanderbilt

We are PROBABLY going to be the 230pm kickoff. The only real competition "might" be from MSU-Auburn (depending on how both start the season), and I'd still say it's 90% or higher going to be us at 230pm.

1) Tickets are the least of your worries.

This sounds backwards, but it isn't. You can get tickets on Gametime or StubHub (now that the stadium allows phone swipe tickets) hours before the game in a worst case scenario, and you can usually find a scalper if nothing else. DO NOT PANIC AND BUY EARLY!!! Tickets will start around 40% higher than you'll have to pay (at a minimum, Auburn is usually MUCH higher).

2) I fly into games from Dallas all the time.

I fly Southwest when possible. They're cheap (right now they're selling through August 6), and unlike most airlines if you cancel, it costs you nothing and you can use the travel funds elsewhere as long as you use them before one year from the date of purchase passes.

Flying into Birmingham MIGHT be "inexpensive" from LaGuardia IF you fly in on Friday night. It's a crapshoot. I don't know how many of you there are or how much you consider expensive, but there's some August flights right now on SWA round trip for $234 per person. Atlanta tends to be cheaper from up there, but you'll spend extra gas driving, of course.

3) I highly advise you to prepay your rental car in Atlanta.

I have had more bad rental car experiences than could fit in a John Hughes movie. But the one thing that has always worked is PRE PAY at the lower rate. I've actually been in Atlanta at noon when they had no cars, and everyone had to take a wait ticket. I got one eventually.

4) Since you're flying into Atlanta, I would advise you to stay east of Birmingham for your hotel.

Others will disagree - and if they can help you with what works better that's fine.

But the fact is that as you get closer to T-Town on game weekends, the hotel prices will skyrocket like the Space Shuttle. There's usually a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton you can find for reasonable cost in some of the smaller towns 'close' to Birmingham. And then you just leave earlier in the morning to get the BDS.

You need to worry about your hotel room the most at this point. The flights will come down later, and they likely won't let you prepay a rental car for next September right now.

It seems backwards, but it's true: tickets are the least difficult thing to get.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I was stationed in Ft McLellan (in Anniston) for MP school in 83. Havnt been back there since
    It could be interesting to go back. They have several good hotels and places to eat right along I-20 that probably weren't there when you were if it's been a long time ago.

I've heard hotels in T-town are just ridiculously expensive on game-day weekends so that's why I'd probably avoid there and even going all the way into B'ham.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    It could be interesting to go back. They have several good hotels and places to eat right along I-20 that probably weren't there when you were if it's been a long time ago.

I've heard hotels in T-town are just ridiculously expensive on game-day weekends so that's why I'd probably avoid there and even going all the way into B'ham.
    And you're right.

Even getting one is a lottery.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    And you're right.

Even getting one is a lottery.
    I suggested around Anniston, coming from ATL.

Don't know if you play golf, but Cider Ridge Golf Club is one of my favorite places to play in Alabama. It's 10 minutes off the interstate there at Anniston. Fantastic course!

https://www.ciderridgegolf.com/

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oxford is $120 per night for 09/27 check-in with 09/29 check-out at Hotels. com

Hampton Inn & Suites Oxford Anniston is $111 per night for same dates at Hotels.com

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Hope for a night game, because it is HOT!
    I was a UA student in the 70s and my student tickets were general admission, so I had to get there at least 90 minutes before the 1:30 game time. The September games were brutal, in part because BDS had the old-fashioned Astroturf and the stadium was only what is now the lower deck so there were no shadows. I remember thinking that if they would put a handle on one end we could call the place "The Skillet"!

Suspended

So far what Ive seen for airline tickets...Frontier airlines out of Long Island Macarthur airport to Atlanta is 145.00 round trip. If I fly to birmingham there are layover stops. My Girlfriend got me the tickets as a Christmas present. Shes a fan also. I might stop over and see Ft McLellan for the first time since 83...Its along the way from Atlanta. Thanks for all the info!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

So far what Ive seen for airline tickets...Frontier airlines out of Long Island Macarthur airport to Atlanta is 145.00 round trip...
    Frontier flies that ISP-ATL route seasonally. Their schedule isnít out for sale yet past August 10. Typically theyíll release their next schedule 120 days or so before this one ends, so you may be waiting until May 1-ish to see your actual options. Last year they flew ISP-ATL through October but thatís no guarantee they will do so this year; and even if they do, if bookings arenít strong enough they may cancel and refund you. So, stay alert and keep shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far what Ive seen for airline tickets...Frontier airlines out of Long Island Macarthur airport to Atlanta is 145.00 round trip. If I fly to birmingham there are layover stops. My Girlfriend got me the tickets as a Christmas present. Shes a fan also. I might stop over and see Ft McLellan for the first time since 83...Its along the way from Atlanta. Thanks for all the info!
    You probably know McClellan got BRAC’d in the late 90s. It’s a mixed use community now. Alabama National Guard does have a presence there. You will recognize the topography and some buildings, but not much else. Good luck on your trip to see the Tide play and safe travels. RTR