I now feel the exact same way I did three years before Gottfried was removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Considering none of us are in practice or in team meetings, hard to answer these two. But since there's no concrete answer, you're right, correct?

This is the first year under Avery the defense has been an issue. You honestly can't argue otherwise.

Who says it has? If anything, I would say this is the first year there's not a dominant player to run the offense through. In his first year, the offense went through Levi. Second year was Retin. Last year was Sexton. This year? Kira? Petty? Hall? Mack? To me, the offense is better without the obvious guy for the defense to stifle.

Want to address something you asked yesterday about the players.

Are you talking about the Herbert Jones that is shooting 42.7% this year compared to 40.8% last year and is up to 7.1 points per game after scoring 4.2 last year? Or are you talking about the one that is averaging 4.4 rebounds a game this year (3.5 last) and 2.3 assists a game (1.4 last)?

If anything, Herbert's defense has weakened because he's getting called for more fouls this year.

Do you honestly not see improvement in Petty's game? He's still not great handling the ball, but he's better than he was last year.

Who do you expect Galin to play over this year since Mack is in the lineup? He averages 13.7 minutes a game, which is a minute more than he averaged last year. Between Mack and Riley playing and Reese's minutes increasing, Galin's not going to get into the rotation drastically more this year.

BTW, you want some crow for your dogging of AJ in this thread after last night?

If you cannot watch the game and see how Herb struggles handling the ball and being effective compared to last year, that is on you. He averages more because, like you said, we do not have a go-to guy. That doesn't mean he hasn't regressed offensively. Petty is still incredibly inconsistent with his shot and is not a good ball-handler. As far as AJ goes, one game does not a season make. If you think he should be playing more, again that is on you. He should be a situational player to give Kira targeted rest and when foul trouble dictates. Look, I have said it before and I will say it again, I hope I am 100% wrong. We will see. If not this year, then next. At some point, he will either prove to be the answer or we will be looking for another coach. If we are sitting at 15-17 wins at the end of the season and we have an opportunity to go out and get a proven college coach, I hope we jump at it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you cannot watch the game and see how Herb struggles handling the ball and being effective compared to last year, that is on you. He averages more because, like you said, we do not have a go-to guy. That doesn't mean he hasn't regressed offensively. Petty is still incredibly inconsistent with his shot and is not a good ball-handler. As far as AJ goes, one game does not a season make. If you think he should be playing more, again that is on you. He should be a situational player to give Kira targeted rest and when foul trouble dictates. Look, I have said it before and I will say it again, I hope I am 100% wrong. We will see. If not this year, then next. At some point, he will either prove to be the answer or we will be looking for another coach. If we are sitting at 15-17 wins at the end of the season and we have an opportunity to go out and get a proven college coach, I hope we jump at it.
This is getting ridiculous. You've yet to provide anything other than how long you've watched Bama basketball and saying you hope you're wrong but if you aren't wrong Fred Hoiberg is available.

Truthfully, Fred would be one of the first guys I would call if there was a change made, but that's besdie the point.

Why don't you expound on the issues rather than just asking questions because we aren't all carrying the pitchforks with you? And if you can't, this thread will be closed because there's no purpose without the OP offering more than obtuse questions.

Last edited:

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
This is getting ridiculous. You've yet to provide anything other than how long you've watched Bama basketball and saying you hope you're wrong but if you aren't wrong Fred Hoiberg is available.

Truthfully, Fred would be one of the first guys I would call if there was a change made, but that's besdie the point.

Why don't you expound on the issues rather than just asking questions because we aren't all carrying the pitchforks with you? And if you can't, this thread will be closed because there's no purpose without the OP offering more than obtuse questions.
Wow! Congrats on all the power. What a big man you are. I am very impressed. Obtuse questions? No, you are being obtuse, blindly obtuse if you cannot see the issues. Ok. I will spell it out for you in black and white. Ingram repeatedly is careless with the basketball. Yet Avery does not pull him or do anything to change his behavior. Petty gives good effort, but again can be very careless with the basketball. Where is the accountability? On offense, what offensive sets do we run besides the on-ball screen at the top of the key? We do not have great spacing and tend to stand around too much. We routinely struggle to get the ball inbounds. Free throw shooting has been a problem every single year. I understand there is a ceiling for someone to reach, but improvements can be made. Look at Dante Hall. He is one of the few that you can look at and tell without a doubt he is much better today than he was when he stepped on campus. You cannot say that for too many others. I would say Reese has also improved. I could be mistaken, but I think I heard the commentators say we will have 7 players with degrees by the end of this semester. If true, that is more evidence we are not dealing with a young team. We are an experienced team, especially in this day and age of one-and-done. If you want to close out this thread, have at it. I am so sorry I had the gall to question the coaching in one of my first few posts. There are issues with fundamentals and basketball IQ that haven't really improved from year one. That is my concern. The SEC is much tougher, there is no question about that. The question is, can our coach adapt and actually compete as these other programs continue to change and improve? How long should it take a coach to get a feel for the college game? Five years? Six? Seven? How steep is the learning curve?

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Just check the league rpi's and that will answer your question. It continues to rise every year.

rtr
I understand. The post referenced Grant only going 8-10 in the league now. If that were to be the case, then Avery would have no improvement over Grant since he has been 8-10 two out of the three years. I am not saying at all that there hasn't been improvement from Grant, just that Avery's conference record hasn't been stellar thus far either.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ok, ostrich. Keep that head buried firmly in the sand. Is this some communist block or something? Dissenting opinions not allowed?
This is just some friendly advice. Good grief man. You seriously need to tone it down. Opinions are allowed here but you have been overtly negative from the get go. You have also attacked some mods, so again I would tone it down. I am as frustrated as the next fan, but it really isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out. If we finish dead last and start losing by 20 in every game then I will be as negative as you. You should seriously take my advice and pull it back a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.