China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death
Like Like:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    I mean, play stupid games, win stupid prizes, but dang...

    China’s diplomatic clash with Canada escalated sharply on Monday, when a Chinese court sentenced a Canadian to death for drug smuggling at a one-day retrial ordered weeks after a Chinese executive’s arrest in Canada.

    In announcing the death penalty against the Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, the court, in the northeast city of Dalian, gave no indication that his sentence might be reduced to prison time.

    Mr. Schellenberg’s fate could become a volatile factor in diplomacy between Beijing and Ottawa in the aftermath of the arrest by Canadian authorities of a Chinese technology executive in British Columbia last month — a move that incensed the Chinese government.

    Mr. Schellenberg had appealed a 15-year prison sentence for smuggling methamphetamines. But during his retrial, against the backdrop of sharply increased tensions between China and Canada, the court sided with prosecutors who called for capital punishment.
    China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milan, TN
    Posts
    5,717

    Re: China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    Yikes!!! The punishment doesn’t fit the crime but I’m not sure the arrest of the Chinese person had anything to do with the death sentence.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta 'Burbs
    Posts
    10,446

    Re: China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Yikes!!! The punishment doesn’t fit the crime but I’m not sure the arrest of the Chinese person had anything to do with the death sentence.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    pretty typical in Asia. First time I went to Singapore the big news was that they were executing a 17 year old Australian girl that was caught in the Singapore airport on a layover from Thailand to Australia with Heroin. The Australian Government threw a fit and Singapore still hung her. About a year later I was in a cab and the driver offered me weed. I was 19 years old and really enjoyed weed at the time. I noped out quick and a few weeks later it hit the news that it was sting op by the Singapore police offering westerners weed and tossing them from the country after a good caning
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NW AL
    Posts
    6,281

    Re: China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    Well, in most of Asia, a prison sentence is essentially the death penalty. Often it is "hard labor" which if you're able to survive it you can go free. So, the man was getting the death penalty regardless.

  6. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hooterville, Vir.
    Posts
    15,655

    Re: China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I mean, play stupid games, win stupid prizes, but dang...

    China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death
    I believe the Western standard is that the punishment cannot be increased by an appeal. It's a pity were are not more assertive on such positive aspects of western culture.

    In a related note, I saw on the news tonight that a Princeton grad student went to Iran to study central Asian international politics and was (Surprise!) arrested by Iran and convicted of spying. It seems that Iran had given up all their hostages when the nuclear deal was struck and they needed some new western hostage/pawns. Now, why nobody told this guy NOT to go study central Asian politics in Iran i beyond me. ("They won't bother me. I'm only a student.")
    Last edited by Tidewater; January 14th, 2019 at 09:34 PM.

  7. #6
    BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
    Posts
    490

    Re: China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    Any time you leave the confines of the US, as my buddy would say, "you're playing by the other man's rules".

    I rented a golf car to toodle around the island during my recent vacation in Isla Mujeres. On the day I turned it in, I got dinged $75 for non-existent "scratches" to the fender of the cart.

    Did I pay it? Hell,yeah. And I got a hand-written note on the invoice, detailing that I had paid-in-full.

    I had read before-hand about this scam. How the local cops would be called and you would either pay up or go to jail. I wanted to get the Hell to the airport on-time and get out of Paradise.

    Likewise, I laughed at anyone who tried to sell me weed. Yes, I know the expats down there smoke a lot of it, but I would assume that tourists are fair game for shake-downs by local law enforcement. Again, pay the fine or we don't give you back your passport.

  8. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta 'Burbs
    Posts
    10,446

    Re: China Sentences a Canadian, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg, to Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    Any time you leave the confines of the US, as my buddy would say, "you're playing by the other man's rules".

    I rented a golf car to toodle around the island during my recent vacation in Isla Mujeres. On the day I turned it in, I got dinged $75 for non-existent "scratches" to the fender of the cart.

    Did I pay it? Hell,yeah. And I got a hand-written note on the invoice, detailing that I had paid-in-full.

    I had read before-hand about this scam. How the local cops would be called and you would either pay up or go to jail. I wanted to get the Hell to the airport on-time and get out of Paradise.

    Likewise, I laughed at anyone who tried to sell me weed. Yes, I know the expats down there smoke a lot of it, but I would assume that tourists are fair game for shake-downs by local law enforcement. Again, pay the fine or we don't give you back your passport.
    I had a similar incident with a rented surfboard in Bali Indonesia. I was 19 and surrounded by yelling Indonesian teenagers demanding money for damaging a rented surfboard. I didn't pay but it was honestly one of the scarier incidents in my life, these kids were hard as nails and not messing around. There was no damage to the board and it was obviously a scam but I was too broke to make any sort of payment I simply didn't the rupiahs to pay them.
    Last edited by Jon; January 15th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar