Matt Wyatt's film review of the Clemson game

smokies1

1st Team
Jul 10, 2005
The fake fg sums up the entire game for me. Just re-watch that play and apply the logic to the rest of the game, that's how you get beat by four touchdowns and have their starters do a victory lap before the game is over.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe in a few years. Right now I just want to forget that game.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It is still too soon for me, give me a few more months and I’ll break it down myself.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
I did just watch it though not fun...and the MNF film room...they guys thought that #11 tipped the ball on Tua's 1st interception. After running this play back and stopping it to take a closer look, I too think that is what happened...just enough to throw it off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Quality job as usual by Wyatt. He took no pleasure in it and even said he was pretty shocked to see it unfold that way.

I really think the back-breakers in all these plays he isolated were the two INTs.

On the pick six it's not clear what happened. Was the ball tippped/deflected? Did the wideout not run the slant Tua expected? Did Tua throw a terribly inaccurate pass? I don't know which, but I doubt it was an inaccurate pass because that would mean he would have missed his target by about 3 yards on a pretty short throw and he never does that. I imagine the receivers didn't execute the route as it was planned OR the DB just guessed and jumped the route and got lucky.

I feel like we recovered somewhat from the first INT even though they got points from it, but the second one was likely the real back-breaker. That was just a terrible throw on Tua's part that can only be blamed on Clemson tricking him with his pre-snap read. As Wyatt noted and as you can clearly see, Irv. Smith Jr. was wide open underneath and would have likely gained a minimum of 20 yards in all that space.

Bascially both of those INTs ended up flipping about 28 points on the scoreboard. There were other plays too, but just those two were totally out of character for this offense/Tua and I believe they both caused some doubt to set in.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Quality job as usual by Wyatt. He took no pleasure in it and even said he was pretty shocked to see it unfold that way.

I really think the back-breakers in all these plays he isolated were the two INTs.

On the pick six it's not clear what happened. Was the ball tippped/deflected? Did the wideout not run the slant Tua expected? Did Tua throw a terribly inaccurate pass? I don't know which, but I doubt it was an inaccurate pass because that would mean he would have missed his target by about 3 yards on a pretty short throw and he never does that. I imagine the receivers didn't execute the route as it was planned OR the DB just guessed and jumped the route and got lucky.

I feel like we recovered somewhat from the first INT even though they got points from it, but the second one was likely the real back-breaker. That was just a terrible throw on Tua's part that can only be blamed on Clemson tricking him with his pre-snap read. As Wyatt noted and as you can clearly see, Irv. Smith Jr. was wide open underneath and would have likely gained a minimum of 20 yards in all that space.

Bascially both of those INTs ended up flipping about 28 points on the scoreboard. There were other plays too, but just those two were totally out of character for this offense/Tua and I believe they both caused some doubt to set in.
This is the sickening part. We had someone like this on just about every passing play. We made Clemson look a lot better than they were on defense by not taking what they were giving us and trying to force home run passes..

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I did just watch it though not fun...and the MNF film room...they guys thought that #11 tipped the ball on Tua's 1st interception. After running this play back and stopping it to take a closer look, I too think that is what happened...just enough to throw it off.
When it happened, it backed it up and ran it slo mo , and saw a tip by the blitzing CB. I made the comment on the game thread twice, but no one commented on my comment. The pass was too far off target! He threw it between the receivers!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.