Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leaving

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Don`t know about everybody else, but I came away confused as to what he was saying about his meeting with CNS. Butt chewed? Trying to get him to stay ? Etc.
Good chance he was getting lectured regarding honoring your commitment, which he then turned into getting his butt chewed out and asked to stay.

It’s amazing how people “hear” what they want and interpret in wildly different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m thinking the situation is much like RTO stated earlier in the thread. Gattis could have been in with Saban talking about making a move to Maryland with Locksley. Saban Was probably hammering on him about his commitment to the Alabama program and wanting him to stay.

Then the call from Michigan game…

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I’m thinking the situation is much like RTO stated earlier in the thread. Gattis could have been in with Saban talking about making a move to Maryland with Locksley. Saban Was probably hammering on him about his commitment to the Alabama program and wanting him to stay.

how convenient that the michigan call came right after the butt chewing. I think he had already been in contact with harbaugh about a job. No way is it getting yelled at by SABAN and then all of a sudden he gets a call from harbaugh. Seems fishy and I think he was already looking around.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Honestly, while I hate to see all the departures, in some ways it does explain how this team could simply get outdone by another team.

You need people who want to be here, not just talented people, not just highly skilled top of their profession types, but people with an attitude, people who are hungry, people who are desperate to win. This team didn't show that desperation, so as I see coaches and players choosing to leave.. part of me goes, hmm... I wonder how bad they wanted it.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It's a pitiful situation where a head coach can't ask the man he's asking to be his assistant a specific question and get a HONEST answer. These assistants are hired to lead young men, but the example they set is your word is worthless when you are offered more money to break it. I'm sure Saban asked this POS "will you commit to a two year stay if I hire you?"

At least Gattis found a proper landing spot, throwing his lot in with Harbaugh. Maybe he will start sleeping over with recruits now. In my opinion, when a coach pulls this crap, they ought to have to refund the pay they have gotten to date. If you want to keep your pay, honor your contract.
I've NEVER been an Ohio State fan or for that matter a Michigan fan, but I hope tOSU beats Michigan worse NEXT year than they ever have. Go Buckeyes!!!!!!!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Good chance he was getting lectured regarding honoring your commitment, which he then turned into getting his butt chewed out and asked to stay.

It’s amazing how people “hear” what they want and interpret in wildly different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep! If he EVER becomes a head coach, he will be oblivious when this happens to him!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
May have been BrayHaw payback - don't forget: Enos already had joined the Faded, er, Maize & Blue staff after Bulimia's sacking at Arky, when Saban stole him away as 'Bama QB coach.

how convenient that the michigan call came right after the butt chewing. I think he had already been in contact with harbaugh about a job. No way is it getting yelled at by SABAN and then all of a sudden he gets a call from harbaugh. Seems fishy and I think he was already looking around.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Kinda lame how guys take staff members with them to their shiny new HC jobs they got thx to Saban. At least locksley didnt take croots, but still. Dog eat dog. Pretty ruthless game.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I understood what he said. I have been on the short side of having a buyout if you leave after one year. I know the consensus is if they don't want to be here let them walk. With the buy out in place if worded properly they can't even take job offers to know if they are in hot demand. We are a stepping stone program for coaches now. I do understand that the open door policy has always worked but times are a changing and this new generation don't understand honor and sticking by your word. I believe like Earl said no way he gets this job if he tells coach he is only going to give him one year. One year coaches are looking for their next gig as soon as they get here.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
And it’s like with recruiting—saban gives a recruit an offer, or a coach a position, and outsiders take it as a letter of endorsement. Tough to overcome every year.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
The reason is that Saban requires a minimum commitment of two years from his assistants. Had he told CNS the truth, that he would be open to leaving at the end of one year, he would never have been hired. That is the reason Saban was angry and that so many here, including me, are negative on him...
Don’t you imagine all future coaches will have a “Gattis clause” in their contract for folks whose word and a handshake can not be trusted?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The reason is that Saban requires a minimum commitment of two years from his assistants. Had he told CNS the truth, that he would be open to leaving at the end of one year, he would never have been hired. That is the reason Saban was angry and that so many here, including me, are negative on him...
Agreed. Thinking Saban needs to have his assistants sign a 2 year non-compete clause like many businesses do when they sign their contracts. I am guessing you can't do it or he probably would have already done it.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Agreed. Thinking Saban needs to have his assistants sign a 2 year non-compete clause like many businesses do when they sign their contracts. I am guessing you can't do it or he probably would have already done it.
I've had thoughts as to what Saban could do to prevent the Coaching turnover like two years ago when we went through that mess with Lane/Sark, and on opening day the next season we would have had our Third OC in a 3 game stretch. I thought Coach Saban could maybe require a signature, somewhere along the lines of what TiderJack is saying here. However, I concluded this would hurt Alabama in the long run due to the fact that the elite coaches would simply not want to join the Crimson Tide as those coaches could be made to feel that Saban was being counter productive to the careers of those coaches who are looking to advance, which would mean we would be stuck with a handicapped selection. Perhaps with more high profile, and highly sought coaches should be sequestered as such.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Non-competes have to be pretty tightly circumscribed, without getting into all the complications. Anyway, it's highly doubtful one would be enforceable in a case like this. Legalities aren't the real answer here...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.