Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leaving

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's a pitiful situation where a head coach can't ask the man he's asking to be his assistant a specific question and get a HONEST answer. These assistants are hired to lead young men, but the example they set is your word is worthless when you are offered more money to break it. I'm sure Saban asked this POS "will you commit to a two year stay if I hire you?"

At least Gattis found a proper landing spot, throwing his lot in with Harbaugh. Maybe he will start sleeping over with recruits now. In my opinion, when a coach pulls this crap, they ought to have to refund the pay they have gotten to date. If you want to keep your pay, honor your contract.
He's been very open about saying that he requires a two year commitment. A forfeiture of a year's pay would be of very doubtful enforceability...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My fear is this is the sort of thing that will ultimately cause Coach Saban to retire before he is truly finished coaching, if anything does. There is definitely a shift in thinking and personalities with the younger coaches vs. the older guys. It has to wear thin when he goes through this every season and especially when he gets responses like this ingrate. I think Coach Saban enjoys a little bit of turnover every year, because it gets fresh ideas into the operation. But what has occurred over the past 3 or 4 years is not really that and I know it has to be burning him up to have to try and find this many replacements AGAIN, instead of spending his energy on finishing up the recruiting class.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agreed. Thinking Saban needs to have his assistants sign a 2 year non-compete clause like many businesses do when they sign their contracts. I am guessing you can't do it or he probably would have already done it.
The problem with trying to do something like this, in addition to what TIDE-HSV and others said, is that we don't want someone here if they don't want to be here. A 2 year commitment most are referring to is in relation to not looking around and interviewing for other jobs after 1 year. Once someone starts to look around it's almost better to let them go and get someone else who wants to be here..

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
So Gattis is lying, and uh what does he stand to benefit from that lie??
Its all about recruiting and spin. When he goes in to a recruits home now he can say, even if not true, Coach Saban begged me to stay but I wanted to be here. Also he can use the tactic Kirby used and lie about our board to recruits.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
how convenient that the michigan call came right after the butt chewing. I think he had already been in contact with harbaugh about a job. No way is it getting yelled at by SABAN and then all of a sudden he gets a call from harbaugh. Seems fishy and I think he was already looking around.
My point was that Saban knew Gattis was leaving. Gattis knew he was leaving, whether it was with Locksley to Maryland or there had been direct or indirect communications with Harbaugh and had already been offered the Michigan OC position. I'm not naïve enough to believe that Gattis hadn't at least received "feelers" from someone associated with Michigan. The guy came from Penn State and the BIG 10. There is little question he had contacts in the Michigan program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So Gattis is lying, and uh what does he stand to benefit from that lie??
No idea if he is lying or not, but people tell lies for weird reasons. He could just be sucking up to his new boss and his new QB. He knows that Saban is not going to respond, so he can say anything.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My fear is this is the sort of thing that will ultimately cause Coach Saban to retire before he is truly finished coaching, if anything does. There is definitely a shift in thinking and personalities with the younger coaches vs. the older guys. It has to wear thin when he goes through this every season and especially when he gets responses like this ingrate. I think Coach Saban enjoys a little bit of turnover every year, because it gets fresh ideas into the operation. But what has occurred over the past 3 or 4 years is not really that and I know it has to be burning him up to have to try and find this many replacements AGAIN, instead of spending his energy on finishing up the recruiting class.
This may be a reason that he wants someone like Sark. Sark is not going anywhere. Stability.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Re: Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leavi

Kinda lame how guys take staff members with them to their shiny new HC jobs they got thx to Saban. At least locksley didnt take croots, but still. Dog eat dog. Pretty ruthless game.
This is exactly why when a coordinator interviews for another job you take their phone, computer, passwords etc. If they don’t get the job they can have their stuff back. If they do get the job, they are mailed any stuff in the football building. They never step foot in the building again. Makes one wonder how much time Locksley spent trying to sell Butch, Gattis and others on coming to Maryland instead of preparing a game plan for Clemson.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

A wise man once told me. ‘ Never burn bridges, you may need a job some day! No matter how unlikely that may seem now! ‘

Enjoy 10-3 every year! Josh Gattis!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He's been very open about saying that he requires a two year commitment. A forfeiture of a year's pay would be of very doubtful enforceability...
I understand it would be tough to enforce forfeiture of pay already received...How about a "I stuck it out with Saban" clause that specifies if a coach fulfills their two year option they get a six month pay bonus. Make it too expensive to leave.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

A wise man once told me. ‘ Never burn bridges, you may need a job some day! No matter how unlikely that may seem now! ‘

Enjoy 10-3 every year! Josh Gattis!
My dad's favorite quote: "Remember the face you slap today could be attached to a part of their anatomy you have to kiss tomorrow...."

{OK -- Daddy didn't "exactly" put it that way...if ya know what I mean. :smile:}

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is exactly why when a coordinator interviews for another job you take their phone, computer, passwords etc. If they don’t get the job they can have their stuff back. If they do get the job, they are mailed any stuff in the football building. They never step foot in the building again. Makes one wonder how much time Locksley spent trying to sell Butch, Gattis and others on coming to Maryland instead of preparing a game plan for Clemson.
Are you serious? I didn't know that was SOP...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I seriously question the judgment of anyone wanting to hitch their wagon to Harbaugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.