Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leaving

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leavi

I believe he's saying that it should be SOP...
When Tubbs left Ole Miss for AU, the whole staff went with him. They took all of the playbooks, play diagrams, etc., with them. OM sued and forced them to return them, since they had been produced while the culprits were on the OM payroll...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

A wise man once told me. ‘ Never burn bridges, you may need a job some day! No matter how unlikely that may seem now! ‘

Enjoy 10-3 every year! Josh Gattis!
10-3 every year? At Michigan? I think that is their high point. I would say enjoy 8-4 every year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Makes one wonder how much time Locksley spent trying to sell Butch, Gattis and others on coming to Maryland instead of preparing a game plan for Clemson.
I was willing to give them a benefit of a doubt prior to the game, but watching how things played out during and after, I do have to wonder how important the game was to some of those coaches.

Kirby Smart definitely had a foot out the door his last game, defense didn't show up to play and he was busy doing things like taking pictures of the recruiting board.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I was willing to give them a benefit of a doubt prior to the game, but watching how things played out during and after, I do have to wonder how important the game was to some of those coaches.

Kirby Smart definitely had a foot out the door his last game, defense didn't show up to play and he was busy doing things like taking pictures of the recruiting board.
Got to disagree with you about Kirby. I live in Georgia/ Auburn country across the river from Columbus. The dawg fans around here and there are tons of then think Kirby is the best thing going since sliced bread right now.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Gattis aspired to a higher leadership position (offensive coordinator) while at the same time displaying a lack of character and leadership in not honoring his commitment. As others have stated, if he had told Saban he didn’t plan on being at Alabama for 2 years he would have never been hired.

I would call him a mercenary, but that would imply he was the best at what he does, which is doubtful. Bottom line is this joker over the span of 6 hours managed to renege on commitments to two head coaches, Saban and Locksley. Yeah, good riddance is too nice. Don’t go away mad, just go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Got to disagree with you about Kirby. I live in Georgia/ Auburn country across the river from Columbus. The dawg fans around here and there are tons of then think Kirby is the best thing going since sliced bread right now.
He's referring to his final game at Alabama

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
His last Game at Alabama vs Clemson. Common knowledge his head was already in Athens and several coaches as well. Also well known was the theft of recruiting intellectual property !

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Pruitt seemed locked in. He may have been the only one of the bunch that kept his feet planted where he was.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Are you serious? I didn't know that was SOP...
Earle, as someone else said, I think it should be SOP as we’ve now been burnt several times by coaches with their heads not in the right spot. In the case of Kirby we overcame and won. Not saying Locksley cost us the game but, if we get a TD instead of FG early in the first half and don’t have the 2nd INT when we were running the ball down their throats and at least get a FG there running clock, we go in at the half down 28-23 not 31-16. At that point it would be a whole different game as we easily left 17 points on the table in the 2nd half. (Clemson was the better team that night but, Locksley helped them...)

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Are you serious? I didn't know that was SOP...
Earle, as someone else said, I think it should be SOP as we’ve now been burnt several times by coaches with their heads not in the right spot. In the case of Kirby we overcame and won. Not saying Locksley cost us the game but, if we get a TD instead of FG early in the first half and don’t have the 2nd INT when we were running the ball down their throats and at least get a FG there running clock, we go in at the half down 28-23 not 31-16. At that point it would be a whole different game as we easily left 17 points on the table in the 2nd half. (Clemson was the better team that night but, Locksley helped them...)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I have no idea if this is beginning to enter the realm of the coaching ranks or not. But there are fewer and fewer people in the workforce who "put up with" the old school way of communicating. For years it has been accepted in sports, for "butt chewings" to be a common means of communicating. For a lot of different reasons that cannot be discussed on the football board, there are employees who are beginning to make up a lot of the workforce who do not respond positively to that type communication. I wonder if Saban is starting to encounter some of that? Remember, he did go "youth" after last season when he hired a lot of the coaches.
Generation Snowflake is a very REAL thing.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Someone’s in CYA mode:

https://twitter.com/coach_gattis/status/1085339885223985152?s=21

Oh I'm sure he was making a joke. At Coach Saban's expense, that is. He's an easy target to pile on, because most of the country hates him because he wins so much.

I'm not trying to be dramatic about this, because like I said, we didn't lose anything with this guy leaving. But, the words that come to mind are disloyal and dishonorable. Not traits I'd want my son to emulate.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The season is over and these coaches are gone, time to move on. If you have character nothing else matters, if you don't have character nothing else matters. I am looking forward to getting the new coaches in place and spring practice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.