Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leaving

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The season is over and these coaches are gone, time to move on. If you have character nothing else matters, if you don't have character nothing else matters. I am looking forward to getting the new coaches in place and spring practice.
Well actually, this is news worth discussing as he’s a recent coach that made a stupid statement about the current head coach. Thus, it’s in the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Re: Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leavi

Earle, as someone else said, I think it should be SOP as we’ve now been burnt several times by coaches with their heads not in the right spot. In the case of Kirby we overcame and won. Not saying Locksley cost us the game but, if we get a TD instead of FG early in the first half and don’t have the 2nd INT when we were running the ball down their throats and at least get a FG there running clock, we go in at the half down 28-23 not 31-16. At that point it would be a whole different game as we easily left 17 points on the table in the 2nd half. (Clemson was the better team that night but, Locksley helped them...)
The Good Book says you can't serve two masters. Common sense points to the same truth. The next time someone accepts another job... send them on their way.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Interesting comments from Gattis on how Saban took the news.... "“When coach Harbaugh called it kind of caught me off-guard. The funny thing about it, I had just left a meeting with (Alabama coach) Nick Saban getting my butt chewed out for about 20 minutes telling him I was leaving, and he was trying to get me to stay. It did not go over well."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...fense-michigan-wolverines/2578220002/?src=rss
So far this doesn't pass the smell test to me.
Story doesn't add up.

If I'm quitting, I wouldn't set thru an Alpha Charlie, then listen to the coach begging me to stay...
I guess I'm a little too fractious for that...
Part of the story makes sense. Coach would not be happy.

Sounds like the timeline is a little skewed.

I was taught to evaluate what is said. How it's said, and What is not said.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Needs thicker skin........I hate to lose the guy, but if that’s the way he handles business, might be a good thing to not have him...... Coach Khaki wont hurt his feelings........
Ya got to be a big boy with thick skin if your gonna coach.
From time to time everybody gets an Alfa Charlie...
Especially in big time football.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
He was leaving to be a play calling OC. Clear that Saban was not going to give him that job, so he was jumping ship - after one year.

And he didn't think that he deserved to get yelled at for that? :conf3:

Harbaugh made him feel special and Saban hurt his feelings. :rolleyes:

Good for Saban.
Given Harbaugh’s public shots @ Saban, I wonder if this interview was planned by him. Just another in a long line of petty attempts to make Saban look bad. But then again I could be wrong and looking @ it through Crimson colored glasses.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Bottom line is coach Gattis should have done what he said he'd do.
If it was a 2 year commitment, he should stay two years. Written or Not.

Last edited:

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Urban Meyer's departure, Josh Gattis' questionable ethics, and this latest weak publicity stunt by the most overrated coach in the history of football make rooting for the Buckeyes a whole lot easier, since it's safe to say we won't see Meeshigan on the same field with Bama anytime in the near future. Wonder if ol' Harbaugh has extracted the Gator teeth from the seat of his khakis yet....

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
So far this doesn't pass the smell test to me.
Story doesn't add up.

If I'm quitting, I wouldn't set thru an Alpha Charlie, then listen to the coach begging me to stay...
I guess I'm a little too fractious for that...
Part of the story makes sense. Coach would not be happy.

Sounds like the timeline is a little skewed.

I was taught to evaluate what is said. How it's said, and What is not said.
I don’t believe Saban begged him to stay either....... I think he reminded him of his 2 year commitment, and when Gattis balked he probably lit him up like a candle

I too hope tOSU tramples on Captain Sleepover and mudchicken

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
So he left CNS behind his back and shafted Locks too. Betting CNS is not to thrilled about either if that’s how it played out. Surprised Locks would do that without asking Coach first. Kirby I can see doing that not Locks.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm trying to put myself in these coaches' position...knowing you've had it working at a particular school, the job is too demanding...but one last enormous game left to play.

Before the final game, do you pretend to the players you've coached all season that everything's great, see you next season? I'm guessing quite a few players are sharp enough to know when a coach means what he says verses when he is sleep-walking through the motions.

Would the coach with plans to leave put his best effort into that final game? Who knows, but when the dishonest coach winds up taking shots at his former coach that clears things up, in my opinion.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Riiiiiiiiiight.

"Taken out of context" is modern slang for "oh crap, I didn't know this was going to blow up in my face like that".
Bailed after one year and is telling everyone our board in recruiting, imagine if he didn't have respect for the program

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.