Gattis comment on telling Saban he was leaving

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA
Interesting comments from Gattis on how Saban took the news.... "“When coach Harbaugh called it kind of caught me off-guard. The funny thing about it, I had just left a meeting with (Alabama coach) Nick Saban getting my butt chewed out for about 20 minutes telling him I was leaving, and he was trying to get me to stay. It did not go over well."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...fense-michigan-wolverines/2578220002/?src=rss

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The way that statement reads implies Saban was chewing his butt out while asking him to stay. That doesn't make much sense.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
The way that statement reads implies Saban was chewing his butt out while asking him to stay. That doesn't make much sense.
Doesn’t make a good look for him in any case........ I wouldn’t have even talked about it. Airing stuff like that kinda seems like he was fishing for another opportunity

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He was leaving to be a play calling OC. Clear that Saban was not going to give him that job, so he was jumping ship - after one year.

And he didn't think that he deserved to get yelled at for that? :conf3:

Harbaugh made him feel special and Saban hurt his feelings. :rolleyes:

Good for Saban.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban probably wanted him to stay and was yelling at him for leaving after one year when it became clear that he was not going to honor his commitment. It starts nice then get ugly as the truth becomes apparent - that Gattis had made up his mind to leave before walking into Saban's office.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
He was leaving to be a play calling OC. Clear that Saban was not going to give him that job, so he was jumping ship - after one year.

And he didn't think that he deserved to get yelled at for that? :conf3:

Harbaugh made him feel special and Saban hurt his feelings. :rolleyes:

Good for Saban.
Needs thicker skin........I hate to lose the guy, but if that’s the way he handles business, might be a good thing to not have him...... Coach Khaki wont hurt his feelings........

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Some years ago got a reprimand and a raise in the same meeting. I felt like both were deserved.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
uses bama to get seen and find a bigger job and paycheck. smh. i liked following him on twitter. The coaching carousel gets more and more annoying. RTR

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Is there anything wrong with putting your time in to prove yourself? Maybe he felt like he had proven himself to Coach Saban but when you can't even honor a commitment it was obvious that he didn't have the right stuff to be with Coach Saban for the long haul. This wouldn't have been so bad if the OC offer to Michigan was before his meeting with Coach Saban.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Looks that way. Sounds like his phone was ringing off the hook immediately after the championship game.
Yeah, didn't sound like he left knowing about Harbaugh's offer but Gattis had enough interest from other programs that it wasn't like he was leaving with no plan for the future.

I know very little about the coaching staff. Was he "encouraged" to leave or did he just not like his situation and the offers he was hearing about were a step up to offensive coordinator (like the one he got from Michigan after he had decided to leave)?

ETA: Wow, this was an active thread between the time I opened it and finally read it. Should have re-freshed; some of my question was answered before I posted...

Last edited:

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Yeah I was trying to make sense of that as well. It may be that he got a butt chewing and Gattis was saying he wouldn’t tolerate being treated like that and was going to leave. I can’t imagine you can be the sensitive type and work with Nick. I would imagine also you would have to swallow your pride on occasion and just move on. Some people like to vent like that and just expect you to shirk it off and move forward.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't know why so many of us are being negative on him for this. Be honest, how many of you would turn down a promotion and big raise in the name of loyalty? He wanted to be an OC, he wasn't getting it here, so he went where he could. Prove himself? He had already proven himself to the person who hired him, just not to us yet. I liken it to staying in friendzone status with one girl, hoping to make your way up to boyfriend/husband status, while there are plenty of other great women who want you right now. I didn't want to lose the guy, but I don't blame him for deciding to leave.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Gattis is better off at Michigan because he was not going to be OC here, at least not now. I said before and will say again, I am not a fan of co-ordinators on either side of the ball. There has to be one voice, one decision maker that is why I hope if Sarkisian is hired CNS will make him total OC, no co crap.

I agree with skipster63, if you are the sensitive type that cannot take criticism then you should drive on past the Tuscaloosa exit.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Tuscaloosa is not the place to coach if you get your feelings hurt easily. Never has been. That's not a new thing since Saban got there or anything. I doubt Stallings or Bryant were "feely-goody" type of guys to work for. Football isn't about that. It's about being motivated, and being angry sometimes.

That's why I don't really dig on Sweeney too much. Sure, he might just be playing to the camera with this "awe shucks" show he has. I get the feeling he can be motivating and downright hard on players at times, but it's more rare. I'll also add that, as I've gotten older, I have less of that smiley face that I once had. Life's failures and how hard it is to truly succeed tends to take away that sunny disposition in a lot of us. Good on you if you can keep pumping sunshine in the face of difficulty. I can't do it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.