Link: Slightly OT: High school football player dies during ACL surgery

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I slept so well under this...I woke up and asked the attending nurse if I could be put back under again...I normally don't sleep well and this was incredible...
I felt like crap after. I was an insomniac for like a week after. I’m assuming it had to be associated with surgery.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I felt like crap after. I was an insomniac for like a week after. I’m assuming it had to be associated with surgery.
I doubt it was the propofol. Because of genetics, it takes about a tripled amount to keep me under even for something like a routine colonoscopy. I still awaken clear-headed. The only time I didn't was for the bypass I had several years ago. In that case, they were using a witch's brew, including heavy morphine, which I managed to wean off of pretty quickly. Nevertheless, my wife told me that I showed effects of the anesthesia for a couple of weeks, although I wasn't aware of it...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't even know what it was like. I remember the anesthesiologist telling me "ok, we're about to take off" and then in an instant, I woke up writhing in pain from the gas they use to blow you up in order to move around and cut out the gall bladder. This was like, 3 or 4 hours later. And there is nothing in that space time for me. I wouldn't know if the sleep was good or not.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't even know what it was like. I remember the anesthesiologist telling me "ok, we're about to take off" and then in an instant, I woke up writhing in pain from the gas they use to blow you up in order to move around and cut out the gall bladder. This was like, 3 or 4 hours later. And there is nothing in that space time for me. I wouldn't know if the sleep was good or not.
I just remember the surgeon waking me up and telling me he had to cut me open for my gallbladder. Even showed me a picture and said it was the worst he had seen in his decades of doing them. I gave him my cell number so he could text it to me, we talked a minute, and then I got something for pain. The next thing I was being asked to move to my bed. Had a JP for a few days and finally went home on day 5. Pulling the JP is a lot easier on the other end of the deal, let me tell ya.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have had several surgeries that required me to be put to sleep.
It's a risk we all take when we go under the knife.

It's a terrible thing to hear of a young athlete dying during a routine surgery.
I feel for the family.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
About 10 years ago, I had a Nissen fundiplication for acid reflux. Should have done it sooner, but that's another story.

They do (or did 10 years ago) about a half dozen small incisions in a rough semi-circle around the navel. Spaced from the point of one hip, up to just below rib cage, and back to the other hip point. Then they pump in CO2 in so they can work around inside. Not in the gut, in the abdominal cavity. IOW, to be blunt, you can't poot it out.

They say they pump it all back out, but that's about impossible. When they sew up the incisions, the leftover CO2 is trapped. It has to gradually work its way slowly up through the skin. And yes, it hurts a lot. In my case, far more than the incisions.

The incisions felt like I'd done a few too many sit-ups. A little bit sore, but no big deal at all. Far worse was the eye-popping pain under my left collarbone -- the leftover CO2 making its all-too-gradual way out.

Fortunately, my sister had an abdominal surgery not long before, and had warned me. Otherwise, I'd have been worried.

Surgery is not to be taken lightly.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I guess this means no surgery is full proof and completely safe. Wow! I have a family member who had a liver transplant recently, and a friend of a friend this week who had a double lung transplant. Both of these people are doing great. Oh, and another friend had both knees operated on with replacement parts. But an ACL! Wow! You'd think this was MINOR compared to the others. Very serious surgeries, but they are alive and he isn't. I think I read a few years ago about a coach's wife having a tummy-tuck and died as a result.

So, as 4Q Basket Case stated: "Surgery is not to be taken lightly."

My prayers go UP for this young man's family.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.