Running Back Discussion for 2019

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Runnng Back Discussion for 2019

oh, one more thing. Trey won't be #2 this fall. He has to earn his way up the depth chart. We will be okay. Najee has an opportunity to show that he can keep himself on the field. He has proved that he can do the job the last two years.

I also think we will see Slade move to RB for this year..
Gut feeling. Slade is versatile player.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I think there will come a time next year when someone says "Why didn't we use Najee more until now?" The same thing happened with Derek Henry his 3rd year too. IOW, I think Najee (avoiding injury) will have a monster year.

I like you mention Slade Bolden. I thought he had the kind of talent to see the field already at slot, but he's just got tons of talent in front of him there. He might be an interesting addition to the backfield, especially with his HS qb background.

I also expect Sanders decision to Roll with the Tide will be rewarded with some early season opportunities.

And, like others have said, Brian Robinson is a legit player who may get his shot this year each time Najee needs a breather.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Just redo'ing my roster for 2019 and in the wake of Jacobs leaving we are a little thin at RB. Absent injury none of this matters but we stayed healthy all last season so chances are next season is going to be an ER ward. Najee is a bell cow. If he's healthy he's a thousand yarder for sure. He did not do anything in the passing game which makes me wonder if there is an issue there or if they just did not use him because of Jacobs.
Brian Robinson to me is an unknown at this point. I'm not sure if he's good or average. He didn't see many holes when he was in the game this season so it's hard to tell.

Jerome Ford was the lowest ranked RB recruit we've signed in years. Don't know if he's any good

Trey Sanders is a five star so I expect him to be either #2 or #3 depending on how well he picks up blocking assignements.

Kellan Robinson is a scat back and hasn't signed with us yet so I don't know if he will be there or how he could/would be used.

So it looks like to me we are 2 turned ankles from possibly being in a place I don't want to see, and this in a year we need to get back to the basics. Thoughts?

Robinson is a beast and will get his fair share of carries. When all is settled and done I see Harris and Robinson splitting the carries a (1A/ 1B) type situation and I fully expect Sanders to be that third guy coming in.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Just redo'ing my roster for 2019 and in the wake of Jacobs leaving we are a little thin at RB. Absent injury none of this matters but we stayed healthy all last season so chances are next season is going to be an ER ward. Najee is a bell cow. If he's healthy he's a thousand yarder for sure. He did not do anything in the passing game which makes me wonder if there is an issue there or if they just did not use him because of Jacobs.

Brian Robinson to me is an unknown at this point. I'm not sure if he's good or average. He didn't see many holes when he was in the game this season so it's hard to tell.

Jerome Ford was the lowest ranked RB recruit we've signed in years. Don't know if he's any good

Trey Sanders is a five star so I expect him to be either #2 or #3 depending on how well he picks up blocking assignements.

Kellan Robinson is a scat back and hasn't signed with us yet so I don't know if he will be there or how he could/would be used.

So it looks like to me we are 2 turned ankles from possibly being in a place I don't want to see, and this in a year we need to get back to the basics. Thoughts?
that’s not really a fair comment , Nick wanted him for a reason or he wouldn’t have been on the recruiting board. His ranking , if you can go by that, is still 4* and just a little below Robinson .8925 to .8909 . Besides, Josh Jacobs says hello.

Maybe AJ Gates can turn some heads and make the most of his PWO status, otherwise will help on scout team. Another scat back. I mean, we have a former walk-on cornerback playing in the NFL right now. Not that I expect anything more than scout team, just there is always the possibility. Like the possibility of a rash of injuries.

If Trey Sanders can get into a good training regiment and put the work in, he could contribute right away like Mark Ingram did . I guess we will have to wait and see.

I wouldn’t worry about what might happen , not until it does. Anyway

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice thread. I think we are more that fine at the RB position. I am much more concerned with our Line Backers and the dude that will be coaching our O Line.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think there will come a time next year when someone says "Why didn't we use Najee more until now?" The same thing happened with Derek Henry his 3rd year too. IOW, I think Najee (avoiding injury) will have a monster year.
That's how I feel to, once the offensive identity and the team adjust to having him as a feature back, I think he'll really get going. He (at 6'2) has the potential to become that big unstoppable back that we saw Henry (6'3) become and that Bo (6'1), when healthy showed flashes of as well.
With Saban's propensity to bring in top 4 and 5 star running backs, what might he have seen in Jerome Ford? Wasn't he 3 star?
So was Mark Ingram and Josh Jacobs though, so when Saban does get a 3 star you'd think he sees something special.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Well since we still have a signing period to go and Saban seems to sign a kid out of no where most years, Maybe Saban signs another RB in this class. (in addition to the one committed and one signed)
Just my opinion, but we have more pressing needs at other positions unless someone comes along who is a can't miss type of prospect.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

It's hard to be concerned at the tail back position considering how good that position has been for us for SOOOO long. I mean, Glenn Coffee came into his own in 2008 and was a machine. Then Ingram, then Richardson, then Eddie Lacy, followed by TJ Yeldon, who was a weapon back there, then Derrick Henry, lest I forget. And the contributions of Damien Harris and Josh Jacobs the past 2 seasons. Najee is my number 1, and would be ANYWHERE. If he stays healthy, yep, I believe he gets 1000 yards. RB just hasn't been a concern since maybe Kenneth Darby getting hurt as the number one guy back in the mid-2000's.

If OL is performing as they should, we will have our big time back. And, of course, we have a passing corps that is second to none, with a shout out to Clemson, of course.

All the worry needs to rest on the defense. They slacked off big time this year, and if they get back to anything resembling what we are used to, #18 is coming in 2019. I've had a lot of restless nights since the SEC CG and how they were picked on by Georgia. But cracks were showing themselves long before then. I have deep concerns regarding the number of Juniors on defense who have declared, and the fact that they underperformed in 2018. Maybe 2-3 of them LEGIT are ready to play on Sundays. The rest of them should have come back, but that's my view from 1000 miles away.

Technically about 60 miles away in Pelham, but hopefully, you catch my drift.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Just my opinion, but we have more pressing needs at other positions unless someone comes along who is a can't miss type of prospect.
Ok. Care to enlighten us what areas of need you see as the highest, and who we have a good chance of landing in this next signing period to fill those needs? I don't follow the recruiting quite as much as others.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
[/URL]

4*
To be fair I have not seen this kid in action. But I do remember seeing some things posted about him earlier this fall saying he was looking really good in practice. I mentioned earlier in this thread I thought Sanders would be that 3rd guy coming in this fall. But this kid will probably not make it easy for Sanders for sure.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
To be fair I have not seen this kid in action. But I do remember seeing some things posted about him earlier this fall saying he was looking really good in practice. I mentioned earlier in this thread I thought Sanders would be that 3rd guy coming in this fall. But this kid will probably not make it easy for Sanders for sure.
Josh Jacobs said on camera earlier in the season that Ford was a special running back!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am more concerned about the physicality of our OL than our RB's...if we have some slobber-knockers up front the RB's will be fine. It's when you're getting hit 3 yards behind the LOS that you get beat up quickly.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yep, Saban recruits talent not star ratings.
Well in fairness, Jerome was a late addition to the class when we missed on higher profile RB's like Zamir White (UGA), Dameon Pierce (UF) Asa Martin (Barn, now UCF?). Hopefully he develops and contributes.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Najee Harris is a talent, no doubt. I know he has seen somewhat limited action, but I would have thought we'd have seen him break a few long runs by now. I also would rather see him run around guys instead of hurdling them.
He doesn't appear to have that extra gear.

I wouldn't be shocked if his real 40 time is 4.6 or 4.7

He's the slowest RB of the CNS era imho.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Ok. Care to enlighten us what areas of need you see as the highest, and who we have a good chance of landing in this next signing period to fill those needs? I don't follow the recruiting quite as much as others.
OG, DT, and OLB for starters. We have some very good prospects on the board with a good chance to cover at least 2 of those needs. We have good enough depth at RB but need more for some other positions. Most of those needs are filled but there are precious few spots left.

I don't follow as closely as some years past but the guys on the recruiting board do a great job.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

OG, DT, and OLB for starters. We have some very good prospects on the board with a good chance to cover at least 2 of those needs. We have good enough depth at RB but need more for some other positions. Most of those needs are filled but there are precious few spots left.

I don't follow as closely as some years past but the guys on the recruiting board do a great job.
Would be shocked if Bama takes another OL this class. Already have five guys signed. Can't imagine Saban taking another one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.