Running Back Discussion for 2019

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Re: Runnng Back Discussion for 2019

Would be shocked if Bama takes another OL this class. Already have five guys signed. Can't imagine Saban taking another one.
Yeah. I was going to ask about what spots were already helped out in the early signing period.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

OG, DT, and OLB for starters. We have some very good prospects on the board with a good chance to cover at least 2 of those needs. We have good enough depth at RB but need more for some other positions. Most of those needs are filled but there are precious few spots left.

I don't follow as closely as some years past but the guys on the recruiting board do a great job.
Yes - bring on some D Tackles and - please - an Alpha Backer or two!!!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

He doesn't appear to have that extra gear.

I wouldn't be shocked if his real 40 time is 4.6 or 4.7

He's the slowest RB of the CNS era imho.
Context is required here. Speed to weight ratio Najee might be the fastest of all RBs we've had. We're talking about a RB that's 6'3 and weighs about 230 lbs. Henry ran a 4.72 40 coming out of high school and N Harris ran a 4.66. IIRC Henry ran a laser timed 4.54 at the NFL combine so if you extrapolate that same increase to N Harris he's probably running somewhere in the 4.5 range which is ridiculous for someone his size. I agree with you that I figured Najee would have busted a few long runs at this point but it very well could just be mental processing that's holding him back rather than ability. He had some really good runs against Clemson and I think he will put it all together this year..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

A lot of folks think that Diggs will handle KO returns this year, but I am hoping that it wil be either Trey or KRob (if you hold onto him). They both seem to have the Josh Jacobs type moves and speed on their HS film.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

A lot of folks think that Diggs will handle KO returns this year, but I am hoping that it wil be either Trey or KRob (if you hold onto him). They both seem to have the Josh Jacobs type moves and speed on their HS film.

Some of you may be overlooking certain players:
John Metchie https://247sports.com/college/villanova/Article/Class-of-2019-WRCB-John-Metchie-107349091/
Not only does he show breakaway speed at receiver but is an explosive kick returner. Metchie is also a tough, physical defensive back who can be a monster tackler on special teams.
Jordan Battle- https://247sports.com/college/alaba...or-Ohio-State-commit-Jordan-Battle-126362670/
He also had a pair of return touchdowns on special teams, including one kickoff return and one punt return.
Christian Williams
Keilan Williams

Returning players:
Jaylen Waddle
Trevon Diggs
Henry Ruggs
Chadarius Townsend
Slade Bolden
Patrick Surtain Jr

I think we'll see most of those guys new and returning to get a shot this spring and in the fall camp. But I don't think we will see Diggs back there unless they start dropping the balls.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Some of you may be overlooking certain players:
John Metchie https://247sports.com/college/villanova/Article/Class-of-2019-WRCB-John-Metchie-107349091/

Jordan Battle- https://247sports.com/college/alaba...or-Ohio-State-commit-Jordan-Battle-126362670/

Christian Williams
Keilan Williams

Returning players:
Jaylen Waddle
Trevon Diggs
Henry Ruggs
Chadarius Townsend
Slade Bolden
Patrick Surtain Jr

I think we'll see most of those guys new and returning to get a shot this spring and in the fall camp. But I don't think we will see Diggs back there unless they start dropping the balls.
I agree, but Metchie and Battle both seem a little small right now for KO returns.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018

He doesn't appear to have that extra gear.

I wouldn't be shocked if his real 40 time is 4.6 or 4.7

He's the slowest RB of the CNS era imho.
Najee really underwhelmed me the first time I saw him in action. I thought the same thing about Damien Harris and Derrick Henry. Derrick Henry eventually showed why he was the top ranked RB coming out of high school in that Sugar Bowl appearance against Oklahoma. I thought Najee played really well in the national championship game and deserved to get a few more carries, especially in the red zone.

He doesn't seem that fast, but we really haven't seen him have the chance to really break one and reach his top speed. Some guys have the knack for those long runs. Derrick Henry definitely had the knack for it and he still does seeing as he is only the second person in NFL history to have a 99 yard TD run.

I'm excited about Trey Sanders. He's going to be a really good one.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I am very high on Keiland Robinson and I think all of us will be. We need to hope he is not snatched away by Locksley.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017

Najee better get at least 20 touches per game. He's earned the right after waiting patiently for 2 years. He could've gone anywhere but stayed with the program. The coaches need to reward that. Doesn't hurt that he's far and away our best RB also..
For the life of me, I can't figure out why he wasn't used more in the NC game. He was running hard when he was in the game. And since the game was in his part of the country, he was extra motivated. We missed a big opportunity to capitalize on that.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
What I'm wondering about at RB is if Trey Sanders will be patient and be willing to accept a limited role for a while. He talked like he wanted to try and win the Heisman as a freshman. I don't know how serious he was with those comments but if he expects to step right in and be the feature RB he's probably going to be disappointed.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Context is required here. Speed to weight ratio Najee might be the fastest of all RBs we've had. We're talking about a RB that's 6'3 and weighs about 230 lbs. Henry ran a 4.72 40 coming out of high school and N Harris ran a 4.66. IIRC Henry ran a laser timed 4.54 at the NFL combine so if you extrapolate that same increase to N Harris he's probably running somewhere in the 4.5 range which is ridiculous for someone his size. I agree with you that I figured Najee would have busted a few long runs at this point but it very well could just be mental processing that's holding him back rather than ability. He had some really good runs against Clemson and I think he will put it all together this year..
I only remember a few long TD runs this year by any back, I think Henry had multiple games that had multiple long TD runs in his last year! I think it is more of the offense we ran this year with vertical routes and DBs and Safeties downfield that reduced the long TD runs. In Najee’s defense, I don’t think you get to be the #2 or #3 overall recruit without having physical tools, including speed.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
What I'm wondering about at RB is if Trey Sanders will be patient and be willing to accept a limited role for a while. He talked like he wanted to try and win the Heisman as a freshman. I don't know how serious he was with those comments but if he expects to step right in and be the feature RB he's probably going to be disappointed.
If he gets out there and hustles, he might get more touches than we think.............he could be #2 before you know it

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
There might be about 5-8 teams in D1 where Brian Robinson wouldn't be a #1 RB. Dude is a stud and he's only gotten bigger, stronger, and more versatile. He's also a total team guy that who will do WHATEVER is asked of him and go 110%. He and Najee will be a painful 1-2 IF IF IF they are used correctly. I'm excited to see what they can do with more of the workload. The light clearly went off for NH. The last few games I was really excited to see how far his blocking had come.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Would be shocked if Bama takes another OL this class. Already have five guys signed. Can't imagine Sabantaking another one.
And they are beasts at that!!!! This class is flush with talent and it is filled with BIG NEEDS! I'd be shocked if 2 don't crack the rotation. They're simply too good to keep off the field.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

From the Polynesian bowl-
The five-star running back is a special talent and that was on full display during the two-hour workout. He had a one-handed snag in drills, then wowed those in attendance by hauling in an over-the-shoulder, 45-yard touchdown catch. Sanders has signed with Alabama.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.