Running Back Discussion for 2019

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Re: Runnng Back Discussion for 2019

I don't have a problem with Najee's running style, In my opinion a big fast back who runs north/south and wants to flatten would be tacklers is the worst situation for a defense, they tend to change field position and wear on the DB's which really shows up late in games. Henry in fact just about averaged putting one defender out of the game per game.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
There might be about 5-8 teams in D1 where Brian Robinson wouldn't be a #1 RB. Dude is a stud and he's only gotten bigger, stronger, and more versatile. He's also a total team guy that who will do WHATEVER is asked of him and go 110%. He and Najee will be a painful 1-2 IF IF IF they are used correctly. I'm excited to see what they can do with more of the workload. The light clearly went off for NH. The last few games I was really excited to see how far his blocking had come.
That’s what I want to see....... we had times where the running game was working and they went away from it.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
If Trey Sanders can stay healthy/injury free, he will be a big addition to the running game as he learns.

Coaches need to save his big workload for the games we may really need him in like Texas AM and the November games/beyond. Imagine Najee, Brian, and Trey all healthy for November/December!

With depth issues at some positions, I think the key (as usual) to making it to the SEC Champ/Playoffs is to keep the starters healthy. Other teams seem to do a good job of it, but somehow BAMA's luck has not been good the last half of the season with injuries.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I can't wait to see Najee get 15 carries a game. His gifts are vision, effort and the ability to be at top speed in two or three steps. He does not come in a turbo model, however.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
If Trey Sanders can stay healthy/injury free, he will be a big addition to the running game as he learns.

Coaches need to save his big workload for the games we may really need him in like Texas AM and the November games/beyond. Imagine Najee, Brian, and Trey all healthy for November/December!

With depth issues at some positions, I think the key (as usual) to making it to the SEC Champ/Playoffs is to keep the starters healthy. Other teams seem to do a good job of it, but somehow BAMA's luck has not been good the last half of the season with injuries.
I look for him to backfill the Josh Jacobs role but he's gotta put in the work to earn it. Very talented player, obviously, but even Kenyan Drake and Josh Jacobs had to work their way into the rotation. I respect the his confidence but I expect that'll be checked in the spring scrimmages.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
That’s what I want to see....... we had times where the running game was working and they went away from it.
The last time we showed the tendency to just ground it out was when Bo broke his leg vs Clemson...... oh and that was Sark calling plays.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just an observation about Sanders: I've seen his measurable listed at 6'1" and 205-215 lbs.

Don't know which weight is closer to accurate but he looked much more "slim" that I thought he'd be and I think that means he'll probably be able to pack a few lbs on without it becoming counterproductive.

I'd expect after a year or so with Cochran that he'll play around 220-225 lbs. Ideal size for a modern running back of his height IMO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The last time we showed the tendency to just ground it out was when Bo broke his leg vs Clemson...... oh and that was Sark calling plays.
You know, that's kinda what I remember about those great USC teams with those great running backs.

It might cut a little into Tua's throwing opportunities, but that kind of run threat, especially if it's based off of play action from the pocket will probably make his downfield threat even more lethal.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Just an observation about Sanders: I've seen his measurable listed at 6'1" and 205-215 lbs.

Don't know which weight is closer to accurate but he looked much more "slim" that I thought he'd be and I think that means he'll probably be able to pack a few lbs on without it becoming counterproductive.

I'd expect after a year or so with Cochran that he'll play around 220-225 lbs. Ideal size for a modern running back of his height IMO.
205-215 is quite a span. I think he'd like be good at 215. I agree with you if he is at 205. He'll need a little more muscle to deal with the SEC wear and tear- though we were excellent at managing out RB's wear and tear this year. I think he'll be in a usable place by this fall.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
205-215 is quite a span. I think he'd like be good at 215. I agree with you if he is at 205. He'll need a little more muscle to deal with the SEC wear and tear- though we were excellent at managing out RB's wear and tear this year. I think he'll be in a usable place by this fall.
Rivals listed him at 205

247 at 215

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Rivals listed him at 205

247 at 215
Ah, I see. Random question but how do these sites typically source this material? At events like All-Star games or "The Opening" or combine style events like that? Info disseminated through the HS football team or coach?

10lbs is not particularly close so I'm just wondering where the disparity factors in. Perhaps readings taken at different events?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I look for him to backfill the Josh Jacobs role but he's gotta put in the work to earn it. Very talented player, obviously, but even Kenyan Drake and Josh Jacobs had to work their way into the rotation. I respect the his confidence but I expect that'll be checked in the spring scrimmages.
That's because we were stacked with 5* RBs when both those guys were here. Right now we Najee and Robinson. I think Sanders will get plenty of touches considering we're a little thinner than we've been in past years. Plus, he's a very different back from Najee so I think they will compliment each other really well..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's because we were stacked with 5* RBs when both those guys were here. Right now we Najee and Robinson. I think Sanders will get plenty of touches considering we're a little thinner than we've been in past years. Plus, he's a very different back from Najee so I think they will compliment each other really well..
Thunder and lightning :biga:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.