The Tax Thread

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You all need to stop all your complaining and enjoy your trickling down on provided by the Reagan, Bush and Trump tax cuts. Bunch of ingrates!:rolleyes:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don’t live in hill country - I’m tired of people slinging it.
And then there’s this...

https://apple.news/AY5Tsv67eRAOabBWYLjBolw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree and have agreed in other threads that tax laws and brackets for the rich needs to be address. But I don't understand why you don't have the same angst and disdain for government's egregious wasteful spending. Why aren't you as upset at that? Do you not think the government's lack of fiscal responsibility is an injustice and in some cases is nothing more than legalized theft? Until we attach the bottom of the cup, back to the bottom of the cup. You tax the rich all you want. You will always be asking for more.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i guess this goes here.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1096194174301495296

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1096194174301495296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1096194174301495296&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcrooksandliars.com%2F2019%2F02%2Famazon-spokesman-blames-aoc-new-york-exit

Amazon is paying $0 in taxes on $11+ billion in profit.

$0 for schools.
$0 for firefighters.
$0 for infrastructure.
$0 for research and healthcare.

Why should corporations that contribute nothing to the pot be in a position to take billions from the public?Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez added,
FORTUNE
Verified account

@FortuneMagazine
Amazon will pay $0 in federal income taxes on $11.2 billion in profit. http://bit.ly/2Eb5QKe
3:47 PM - 14 Feb 2019

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They make up for it for all the jerbs they create where folks have to wear adult diapers and load packages for 8 hours straight.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They are exempt from collecting and paying sales and use taxes and property taxes? I'm unable to open those links and am simply going by the statement that Amazon plays $0 dollars in taxes.

Edit:
Here ya go. Found this article. Gives a pretty good explanation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-not-paying-taxes-trump-bezos-2018-4

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I wondered about this when the corporate tax rate was slashed. Now I know. The rate was lowered and all the loopholes were left in place. Wonder what the effective rate will be this year? 10%?

From the links in the above posts:

[FONT=&quot]The think tank writes that the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act not only decreased corporate tax rates from 35% to 21%, but it also didn’t close “a slew of tax loopholes that allow profitable companies to routinely avoid paying federal and state income taxes on almost half of their profits.”[/FONT]

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I wondered about this when the corporate tax rate was slashed. Now I know. The rate was lowered and all the loopholes were left in place. Wonder what the effective rate will be this year? 10%?

From the links in the above posts:

[FONT=&quot]The think tank writes that the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act not only decreased corporate tax rates from 35% to 21%, but it also didn’t close “a slew of tax loopholes that allow profitable companies to routinely avoid paying federal and state income taxes on almost half of their profits.”[/FONT]
No corporation or any of the wealthiest Americans have ever paid the actual tax rate; so many don’t realize how many write offs that they have access to, that the rest of us don’t (Earle knows and has said as much).
In many if not most cases the effective rate they do pay is less than what the rest of us pay.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
In the early part of this century, I was working in Temecula and the dentist whose office I was working in told me he had just bought a plane a few months earlier, was using it to fly 30 minutes to his satellite practice in another city once a week and was able to “write off” the cost of the plane. Full cost.
This loophole was eliminated years later, IIRC, but the fact it existed at all is evidence of what has been happening for decades.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
In the early part of this century, I was working in Temecula and the dentist whose office I was working in told me he had just bought a plane a few months earlier, was using it to fly 30 minutes to his satellite practice in another city once a week and was able to “write off” the cost of the plane. Full cost.
This loophole was eliminated years later, IIRC, but the fact it existed at all is evidence of what has been happening for decades.

I actually like this type if tax write off if the plane was built in America. It produced money for an American company and was a business expense for this man. When they allow them to right off Chinese planes I have a problem because that does not encourage people to spend money in America.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
link

Amazon is not alone. As ITEP pointed out, last week Netflix posted a profit of $845m in 2018, its largest ever profit, but paid no federal or state income tax.
One central idea of Trump’s tax cuts was to cut corporate tax rates from 35% to 21% but as the tax filings come in it is becoming increasingly clear that many companies are not even paying the lower rate, he said.

“You can’t lay the blame too much on Congress,” said Gardner. “It wasn’t Congress that came up with these ideas. They are the product of a lobbying blitz from these companies. These companies wrote the law in many cases.”

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I actually like this type if tax write off if the plane was built in America. It produced money for an American company and was a business expense for this man. When they allow them to right off Chinese planes I have a problem because that does not encourage people to spend money in America.
Please. He could drive to that office, it’s only once a week.
He gets to use that plane to fly wherever he wants, whenever he wants. Writing it off as a deduction is much worse than mortgage interest, OOP healthcare costs (post-tax), charitable donations etc.
Why should he get a plane, essentially for free? He’s not doing charity dentistry at his satellite office.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Why should he get a plane, essentially for free?
For free? You know that's not how this works. He simply didn't have to pay income taxes on the purchase price.

It's weird how some of you get so wound up over people trying to minimize their tax liability instead of getting worked up over a federal government whose spending has ballooned to over twice what it was in 2000, despite inflation only growing by 45% in that time.

It's like some of you would rather complain that a person deeply in debt isn't making enough money rather than addressing their poor spending habits.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Is it safe to assume that those of you who want more taxes paid are simple filing with no itemization or deductions? Or do you pay extra, since the government needs more funding?

Or is this about other people paying more?

Rhetorical questions, I think we already know the answer.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
For free? You know that's not how this works. He simply didn't have to pay income taxes on the purchase price.

It's weird how some of you get so wound up over people trying to minimize their tax liability instead of getting worked up over a federal government whose spending has ballooned to over twice what it was in 2000, despite inflation only growing by 45% in that time.

It's like some of you would rather complain that a person deeply in debt isn't making enough money rather than addressing their poor spending habits.
The way I understood it, from talking to him, was that he wrote off the cost of the plane as a deduction, not that he didn’t pay “income” taxes on the money he used to pay for it.
I’m not sure how the deduction worked, but regardless, not paying taxes on money you used to buy the plane (again, that’s not the way he explained it to me, but Earle might understand it fully, all I know is that it’s no longer available) is different from not paying taxes on money you use to buy a car how, exactly?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.