The Tax Thread

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I really can't stand constitution worshippers. It really wasn't that great of a document. I'm not saying it wasn't novel in it's time. The constitution established some things that have historical relevance but it arguably set the table for many of the problems we've faced over our country's history.
I guess you could always migrate to Central America.

Seriously though it is set up in a manner that allows it to be changed if enough people feel the same way, in enough of the states.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Here is a question for you tax experts.

When I initially got my stocks last year I was charged a fee to open the accounts. Can I write off those fees? It was about 10% of my initial investment.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Math is fair.
See, I completely disagree. Math is simple. But simplicity is not the same as fairness.

The Constitution is clear that we are supposed to have a small, limited federal government. Claiming one cannot understand the Constitution so it means whatever one wants it to mean is not particularly honest.
Continuing to repeat things does not make them true. Since you've never explained how "promote the general welfare" represents an explicit enumeration of federal power with objective boundaries, I'll accept your concession on this point.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We have GOT to get over this whole "the constitution is some infallible document" thing as well as "I'm the only one who understands what the founders really meant" thing. If we were so great at building a country why did we completely fail with the articles of confederation and need start over less than a decade later. And even then we had to add a bunch of other amendments throughout history. It's just absurd to hold the constitution in such high regard. Especially since often those who do tend to be pretty religious.

EDIT: I missed that rgw had already kinda covered that

Also, a flat tax is far from fair.

And math isn't fair or unfair its math. Please explain to me how 2+2 = 4 is anything other than a fact.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Wouldn't that by definition be a progressive tax rate?
Yes but instead of arbitrary fixed percentages, I was thinking there has to be a way to adjust as income becomes greater. 10% of 50,000 is a significant number that a person with that income can see. Compare that to 10% of 500,000. Yes the number is much bigger but based on the whole it’s easier for that person to absorb the hit.

My question for those much smarter than me: is there an algorithm (impartial/emotionless math equation) that can be used as a sliding scale for a progressive tax system that is more “fair,” so lower incomes still pay but don’t get hit as hard.

Quick thought:
1% for 10,000 and increase by 1% for every increase by 10,000 with a cap at a certain salary or percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm just saying that if everyone had skin in the game, they'd be more likely to get involved, vote, etc. They'd also be more vocal about policy.

I think anyone who can vote people in who will directly take and spend our money in the form of taxation should pay something.
This is kind of a tangential observation, but there is actually a lot of research that shows poor people in the U.S. vote far, far less than the more affluent (LINK). I'd assumed this (due to job circumstances and the like), but I didn't know that this effect has actually been well-studied.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Here is a question for you tax experts.

When I initially got my stocks last year I was charged a fee to open the accounts. Can I write off those fees? It was about 10% of my initial investment.
I don't believe so. Especially not after the new tax law. But I could be wrong.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
See, I completely disagree. Math is simple. But simplicity is not the same as fairness.

Continuing to repeat things does not make them true. Since you've never explained how "promote the general welfare" represents an explicit enumeration of federal power with objective boundaries, I'll accept your concession on this point.
Treating the people the same is fair. Since you like playing favorites, you and the Trumpers have an awful lot in common.

If promoting the general welfare means what you think it means, then there would be no need for enumerated powers. General welfare = whatever I want for my tribe. No over thought needed. It's simple.

To think the FF designed a limited government to really be a leviathan of a government is silly. Where does it say (paraphrasing), "This constitution is so intentionally vague so as to allow Chief White Indian to provide for a nanny for everyone." Since it doesn't say that, I'll accept your concession on this point.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We have GOT to get over this whole "the constitution is some infallible document" thing as well as "I'm the only one who understands what the founders really meant" thing. If we were so great at building a country why did we completely fail with the articles of confederation and need start over less than a decade later. And even then we had to add a bunch of other amendments throughout history. It's just absurd to hold the constitution in such high regard. Especially since often those who do tend to be pretty religious.

EDIT: I missed that rgw had already kinda covered that

Also, a flat tax is far from fair.

And math isn't fair or unfair its math. Please explain to me how 2+2 = 4 is anything other than a fact.
There is a reason for that. Religious people tend to appreciate infallible authority so the propaganda of Founding Father worship - used as a justification for Doin' Nuthin' - is meant to tickle the genetic/epigenetic indicators in these people.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is kind of a tangential observation, but there is actually a lot of research that shows poor people in the U.S. vote far, far less than the more affluent (LINK). I'd assumed this (due to job circumstances and the like), but I didn't know that this effect has actually been well-studied.
That's fine, but it doesn't change my opinion that everyone should have skin in the game if they're going to vote.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Treating the people the same is fair. Since you like playing favorites, you and the Trumpers have an awful lot in common.

If promoting the general welfare means what you think it means, then there would be no need for enumerated powers. General welfare = whatever I want for my tribe. No over thought needed. It's simple.

To think the FF designed a limited government to really be a leviathan of a government is silly. Where does it say (paraphrasing), "This constitution is so intentionally vague so as to allow Chief White Indian to provide for a nanny for everyone." Since it doesn't say that, I'll accept your concession on this point.
While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers. As you demonstrate well.

1) A flat tax is not treating people the same. People are actually treated very differently under that system depending on their income. That's entirely the point.

2) Even the dudes who wrote the Constitution couldn't agree on what "general welfare" means, and it's simply obtuse to claim that there is objective meaning in vague terms that have sparked centuries of debate. You offer no argument other than your empty insistence that you're right.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Who said it's infallible? It was designed to be amended as needed.
And it was meant to be as hard as humanly possible so that the only thing today that can pass must have the full-throated support of monied backers or doesn't affect them at all. You see, we live in reality not some clean room faraday cage.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
ah, the inevitable ad hominem attack.

You propose treating people "the same" wrt to tax rates. Yet they will be treated differently in all other respects.

The rich have infinitely more access to political leaders and wield infinitely more power; they use both of those to increase their power and wealth. Given that, it seems fair that they should pay a larger percentage of that income. Such a proposal does not mean that the lower brackets don't have any skin in the game--indeed, the precarious nature of their existence, they have a lot more to lose than just money.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
So, maybe we should have a small federal government that can't be influenced on X, Y, Z because it doesn't do X,Y,Z. To think we can have a large government immune to the power of lobbyists and grandstanding politicians is foolish.
Lay it out for me. What should our government be involved in and what should it leave alone. In the modern era how small of a government do you want?

I'm genuinely curious what you think the government should look like. Having this discussion without that seems mostly pointless.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers. As you demonstrate well.

1) A flat tax is not treating people the same. People are actually treated very differently under that system depending on their income. That's entirely the point.

2) Even the dudes who wrote the Constitution couldn't agree on what "general welfare" means, and it's simply obtuse to claim that there is objective meaning in vague terms that have sparked centuries of debate. You offer no argument other than your empty insistence that you're right.
I guess if you believe it, it must be true. Very Costanza-ish.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Lay it out for me. What should our government be involved in and what should it leave alone. In the modern era how small of a government do you want?

I'm genuinely curious what you think the government should look like. Having this discussion without that seems mostly pointless.
I'm a strict constructionist. I believe the federal government should have authority over subjects in the Constitution, as originally written and as amended. I don't believe it's honest to declare ignorance on the document as a way to shoehorn "everything" I like into a federal action. Want the government to do something? Look to your state to do this or move to a state that offers this program already. Or push for a constitutional amended if something needs to be done at the federal level.

If you believe the feds should do everything, then congratulations. That's the world we live in now. And you can own all the partisanship, deficits, waste, etc. that comes with it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm a strict constructionist. I believe the federal government should have authority over subjects in the Constitution, as originally written and as amended. I don't believe it's honest to declare ignorance on the document as a way to shoehorn "everything" I like into a federal action. Want the government to do something? Look to your state to do this or move to a state that offers this program already. Or push for a constitutional amended if something needs to be done at the federal level.

If you believe the feds should do everything, then congratulations. That's the world we live in now. And you can own all the partisanship, deficits, waste, etc. that comes with it.
You must have missed my question above. Did you say that you're now a government employee?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.