The Tax Thread

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This year, they haven't even finished writing the regs for some of the things which affect me...
Is it possible or normal for my effective tax rate to decrease from last year when my income is greater than last year? I did have a few more deductions but I was surprised to see a much lower effective tax rate when my income increased about 10%. I've double checked everything. This is a tax return for married filing joint..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I keep putting mine off. I know I will have to pay again this year so I put it off until the very last minute. I have a couple of new things this year that I do not know what I need to do. I now have a Roth IRA and some stocks. I have no idea what I can claim in terms of loss. I got some research to do. It looks like I can only claim loss on the stocks if I sold the stocks? I lost money (did not sell) on the stocks and my IRA went down form what I contributed (did not cash it out though).

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I believe that election can be reversed with an amended return, at least it used to be possible. However, he's unlikely to come out better. There are going to be a lot of disappointed people this year...
I am one of those disappointed people, but it’s because of the healthcare marketplace, BC/BS and possible fraud.
Calling the sate insurance commissioner now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I keep putting mine off. I know I will have to pay again this year so I put it off until the very last minute. I have a couple of new things this year that I do not know what I need to do. I now have a Roth IRA and some stocks. I have no idea what I can claim in terms of loss. I got some research to do. It looks like I can only claim loss on the stocks if I sold the stocks? I lost money (did not sell) on the stocks and my IRA went down form what I contributed (did not cash it out though).
Unless rules have changed -
You don’t claim losses OR gains on stocks until you sell IIRC (dividends must be reported). Not sure, but I think you can only claim contributions to IRA’s if you’re not cashing out. Earle knows a lot more about that than I do.
At least that’s what I remember, I don’t report any increase or decrease in stock valuation because it’s only on paper, unless I sell it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Unless rules have changed -
You don’t claim losses OR gains on stocks until you sell IIRC (dividends must be reported). Not sure, but I think you can only claim contributions to IRA’s if you’re not cashing out. Earle knows a lot more about that than I do.
At least that’s what I remember, I don’t report any increase or decrease in stock valuation because it’s only on paper, unless I sell it.

That's correct. Paper losses are not claimable - the security must be sold. If he's talking about his Roth IRA, his is even different from that. Losses (and gains) on securities held in a tax-exempt entity are not claimable, even if there are sales. And, he'd getting no deduction on contributions to his IRA, since it's a Roth...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
That's flawed. In the first place, it would have to be a non-pass-through entity, IOW, a Sub C corporation (or a pass-through opting to be taxed as a corporation). The dividends, even when accumulated (there's also an accumulation penalty tax, past a certain point), when distributed to you would likely be taxed at a higher rate than that proposed for the increased SE tax, and that's taxable, even if you had no income. IF you opted for a Sub C corporation, and you didn't run into the accumulation tax, (and the penalty tax against unreasonably low compensation), then, in the far-off future, you might be able to get capital gains treatment indirectly for the increase in stock value, if you can get a buyer who is willing to buy your stock, rather than assets. IF you couldn't - and you probably can't - then, when you liquidate to sell the business, those accumulated earnings will be taxed at ordinary income rates, not at capital gains. There's many a slip between cup and lip...
How does Buffet do it? He reported paying less percent than his secretary.
All joking aside surely you can see ways for corporations to migrate their company's assets and profit structure off shore. Why did so many move before the last tax cut?

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'm in the camp of not really having a problem to pay taxes, as it is needed to run the modern bureaucratic government that our country has. I think there are lots of government organizations that are still needed, even if you were able to downsize them through strict oversight. I would also agree with Dr. Larry Arn's assessment that one reason (not the only reason) our modern government has gotten so large is because Congress has essentially given up its constitutional powers to become a rubber stamp for the presidency; there are many laws and regulations that have been enacted by the various government agencies and not by Congress.

I want to see the U.S. government pay down its debts, and reform its tax code so that everyone is paying their share. I'm not entirely opposed to a progressive tax structure, but it can't be so progressive before people decide to take their money and move out (see California, for example). I would like to see the government's budgets (local, state, and federal) adjusted to help public education. Public education has changed so much in terms of the student population, and public educations tends to be the first on the chopping block when budgetary cuts are made, or when budgets are required to be balanced.

I believe that the current rate of taxation and spending is a massive problem that most congressmen and government bureaucrats do not want to fix as it would affect their bottom line. I'm not well-versed enough in tax policy to give my two cents on what specifically needs to happen while accounting for the pros/cons of that policy. Would a VAT-type program work at the federal level, especially if you eliminated other taxes, like the income tax? I have no idea, and I'm not in a place right now to find that research, if there is any.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm in the camp of not really having a problem to pay taxes, as it is needed to run the modern bureaucratic government that our country has. I think there are lots of government organizations that are still needed, even if you were able to downsize them through strict oversight. I would also agree with Dr. Larry Arn's assessment that one reason (not the only reason) our modern government has gotten so large is because Congress has essentially given up its constitutional powers to become a rubber stamp for the presidency; there are many laws and regulations that have been enacted by the various government agencies and not by Congress.

I want to see the U.S. government pay down its debts, and reform its tax code so that everyone is paying their share. I'm not entirely opposed to a progressive tax structure, but it can't be so progressive before people decide to take their money and move out (see California, for example). I would like to see the government's budgets (local, state, and federal) adjusted to help public education. Public education has changed so much in terms of the student population, and public educations tends to be the first on the chopping block when budgetary cuts are made, or when budgets are required to be balanced.

I believe that the current rate of taxation and spending is a massive problem that most congressmen and government bureaucrats do not want to fix as it would affect their bottom line. I'm not well-versed enough in tax policy to give my two cents on what specifically needs to happen while accounting for the pros/cons of that policy. Would a VAT-type program work at the federal level, especially if you eliminated other taxes, like the income tax? I have no idea, and I'm not in a place right now to find that research, if there is any.
I agree with the main thrust of your post.

The issue I have with consumption taxes (like a VAT or sales tax) is that it disproportionately affects those with lower income. Let's say everyone has to spend $X on basic necessities of life (food, shelter, etc.). That X is a much higher proportion of total income for those in the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, and so they carry a heavier personal tax burden than those with higher income. Eliminating income tax and shifting revenue to consumption taxes would be a terribly regressive policy that only widens the wealth gap. Taxing income (in the form of payroll, investments, business profit, etc.) is certainly imperfect, but it's better. In principle, a wealth tax is what we need, but there are Constitutional issues in its application. It could be that applying a more progressive taxation structure to capital gains could approximately a wealth tax (rich people don't spend most of their money, they just let it sit in the markets), but I'm neither an economist nor a lawyer.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I want to break even every year. I will never understand why some people like getting a tax return. I don’t like knowing I could have had more money all year long.

I know I will have to pay this year as I have every year for about 8 years now. I don’t like it, but I will deal with it.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I want to break even every year. I will never understand why some people like getting a tax return. I don’t like knowing I could have had more money all year long.

I know I will have to pay this year as I have every year for about 8 years now. I don’t like it, but I will deal with it.
People in general fundamentally misunderstand taxation.

But as for the tax refund, even people who do understand it may appreciate it in terms of having a regular "windfall" that they lack the self discipline to build themselves.

The problem (for people who think like me anyway) is that this conditions people to think of the money as the government's and not theirs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How does Buffet do it? He reported paying less percent than his secretary.
All joking aside surely you can see ways for corporations to migrate their company's assets and profit structure off shore. Why did so many move before the last tax cut?

What you mentioned is not workable for average Joe Taxpayer. The next time you have the money socked away to migrate your international corporation to Ireland, go head on...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There are two very good reasons for overpaying a bit. First, the return on short term money is close to being nonexistent. Second, the underestimation penalty can really bite, if you're not being withheld and are paying quarterly...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
People in general fundamentally misunderstand taxation.

But as for the tax refund, even people who do understand it may appreciate it in terms of having a regular "windfall" that they lack the self discipline to build themselves.

The problem (for people who think like me anyway) is that this conditions people to think of the money as the government's and not theirs.
You think so?I've not noticed that with people who are deliberately setting up to be over-withheld. What I've noticed is that people feel like they're putting their own money aside for the future, sort of a no-interest Christmas Club...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Prior to ACA, we had deductions that were hard to calculate in regards to how much they would reduce our taxes; in some years, they involved late year decisions that couldn’t be predicted a year before.
So I looked at it as getting back some of what I paid in taxes, a welcome event; a “no-interest Christmas Club” savings account with a totally variable payout, if you will.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
What you mentioned is not workable for average Joe Taxpayer. The next time you have the money socked away to migrate your international corporation to Ireland, go head on...
I don't think I'll have that to worry about, the comment was just made because I don't think the new members of congress or the young electorate will be able to use that kind of tax to reach their goals to have the government be all things to all people.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Started mine yesterday and looks like we'll thankfully be staying about where we were last year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.