The Tax Thread

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Started mine yesterday and looks like we'll thankfully be staying about where we were last year.
TBF, I sent a little extra in for my 4th qtr estimate. When I file my usual extension in April, because I expect to own more, not less. Also, if I miss my total amount by more than 10% (15% this year because of the IRS' mercy - big whoop!), then I owe the failure to file penalty...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think I'll have that to worry about, the comment was just made because I don't think the new members of congress or the young electorate will be able to use that kind of tax to reach their goals to have the government be all things to all people.
My real point was that the dodges you hear about all of the time in the news simply aren't available to the average taxpayer, just as the original methods you mentioned all have holes in them...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Well I finally took the time to file. I wasn't disappointed. I did have to pay more but when I calculate the difference in my withholding year to year the net tax liability was slightly less. Your mileage may vary. I did itemize but looked at it both ways. We generally have cash contributions to charity of about 15% of our gross that put us over the edge on the standard deduction side of things. We are on our late 50's so the children are all grown up and on their own.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ended up with the largest refund I've ever had.

Not happy about that, of course - I like to end up owing / getting back <$1k. Will likely have my accountant change our withholding for 2019, once we figure out what happened.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Not happy about that, of course - I like to end up owing / getting back <$1k. Will likely have my accountant change our withholding for 2019, once we figure out what happened.
I'm starting to hear this as well as more people I personally know complete their taxes. There will be a lot of tax planning meetings and phone calls to accountants made over the next six to eight months. Anyone worth their salt in money management never wants to loan the government money (interest free) for an entire year.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I'm starting to hear this as well as more people I personally know complete their taxes. There will be a lot of tax planning meetings and phone calls to accountants made over the next six to eight months. Anyone worth their salt in money management never wants to loan the government money (interest free) for an entire year.
I agree, it looks like an interest free loan would make more sense...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How much money would you really make on $1K or $2K though? Yea, more than that I agree but $2K or less is really immaterial..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

After we filed last year, my accountant sent me an e-mail detailing the adjustments I needed to make on our withholdings.

Might still owe this year because of a second job/contract work, but I'm hopeful what he told me prevents a bigger amount.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
How much money would you really make on $1K or $2K though? Yea, more than that I agree but $2K or less is really immaterial..
It's more than what you could potentially make in interest. For example, ask a single mom who thinks she's "doing good" when she gets her $3,500 refund, but also lives paycheck to paycheck. Would she like to have another $300 in her bank account each month? By filling out a new W-4 she could have that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's more than what you could potentially make in interest. For example, ask a single mom who thinks she's "doing good" when she gets her $3,500 refund, but also lives paycheck to paycheck. Would she like to have another $300 in her bank account each month? By filling out a new W-4 she could have that.
Right, like I mentioned anything over $2K would probably be categorized as material to most people. In your example most people would like to have an extra $300 in their bank account each month..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Right, like I mentioned anything over $2K would probably be categorized as material to most people. In your example most people would like to have an extra $300 in their bank account each month..
I (like crimsonaudio) use as a rule of thumb the $1,000 benchmark. If after I do my tax return, I either owe less than $1,000 or am refunded less than $1,000. I've managed my taxes in an efficient manner.

Even at $2,000, I'd rather setup an automatic transfer and auto transfer $166 per month to a savings account and in six months I've got $1,000 at my disposal.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I (like crimsonaudio) use as a rule of thumb the $1,000 benchmark. If after I do my tax return, I either owe less than $1,000 or am refunded less than $1,000. I've managed my taxes in an efficient manner.

Even at $2,000, I'd rather setup an automatic transfer and auto transfer $166 per month to a savings account and in six months I've got $1,000 at my disposal.
True. I got just a little over $2K back this year. I may update my withholding so I pretty much break even next year..

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I haven’t even begun mine. Since I’m in school, I didn’t earn any income besides interest through my mutual funds and bank. I’m still going to file, though. I don’t know how much more I can do with my withholding since I’m single claiming zero. I always got back around $2,000 when I was working my old job. And even got back a little from state.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Aye - I could take my wife and chirruns to Rosemary Beach for a month with what I'm getting back. Not exactly thrilled about it.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...0-million-poorest_us_5c60f627e4b0eec79b250c34

The Really Rich are getting richer!

Zucman’s study, “Global Wealth Inequality,”
released last month, also found that the 400 richest Americans tripled their wealth since the early 1980s
The share of the nation’s wealth held by the adults in the bottom 60 percent, meanwhile, dropped from 5.7 percent in 1987 to 2.1 percent in 2014, the Post reported, citing the World Inequality Database that’s maintained by Zucman and other economists.
“U.S. wealth concentration seems to have returned to levels last seen during the Roaring Twenties,” Zucman wrote. And as “wealth begets power” the political system is impacted, he noted.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've done a first pass at everything and it looks like we're getting a small bit back from the fed and state.

Exactly what I prefer. I don't want to see a big return when we're married w/ no dependents or mortgage. That just means we gave the government an interest free loan when we're not rich enough to be fronting Uncle Sam cash.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I made about the same as last year, paid about 5 grand less to the feds, got a small refund compared to paying more at tax time, and got a refund from the state.

Now, what irks me about the reporting on smaller refunds is that there is no mention of how much total tax liability on average compared to last year and no mention that getting a smaller refund may be a net positive for many people.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean obviously it is better to have more money paycheck to paycheck rather than having less only to be returned once a year. I'm happy with where we're at...we almost hit it on the bullseye. In fact, the total return is so small that filing it with one of the big websites is almost all of the return so I'm going to be doing this with my own two hands this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.