The Tax Thread

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
No, it's when the tax takes a larger percentage of income, the less you earn The sales tax (or VAT) is the classic example. A progressive tax takes a higher percentage of income, the more you earn, like the income tax...
I’m no expert, but I thought what you describe is called a proportional tax. Sales tax is a proportional tax because everyone pays the same percentage therefore it takes a larger percentage of a poor person’s income.

From wiki: “[FONT=&quot]A [/FONT]proportional tax is a tax imposed so that the tax rate is fixed, with no change as the taxable base amount increases or decreases.”

A regressive tax is a tax imposed in such a manner that the average tax rate (tax paid ÷ personal income) decreases as the amount subject to taxation increases.

I’m not arguing here, rather trying to clear my own confusion.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I’m no expert, but I thought what you describe is called a proportional tax. Sales tax is a proportional tax because everyone pays the same percentage therefore it takes a larger percentage of a poor person’s income.

From wiki: “A proportional tax is a tax imposed so that the tax rate is fixed, with no change as the taxable base amount increases or decreases.”

A regressive tax is a tax imposed in such a manner that the average tax rate (tax paid ÷ personal income) decreases as the amount subject to taxation increases.

I’m not arguing here, rather trying to clear my own confusion.
Proportional taxes are regressive taxes. It's not mutually exclusive. I find Investopedia to have better definitions/explanations for all of this than most other sites.

Edit: This basically gets at it...

Proportional taxes are a type of regressive tax because the tax rate does not increase as the amount of income subject to taxation rises, placing a higher financial burden on low-income individuals. A tax is said to be regressive if it has an inverse association where the average tax carries less impact on higher income individuals or businesses.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Proportional taxes are regressive taxes. It's not mutually exclusive. I find Investopedia to have better definitions/explanations for all of this than most other sites.

Edit: This basically gets at it...
Ok, so a proportional tax is a regressive tax but not all regressive taxes are proportional ... right?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
You must have missed my question above. Did you say that you're now a government employee?
Sorry, Earle. Internet went down late morning and stayed down the rest of the day. (Not an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately.) Yes, I've done acquisitions for the federal government for more than 10 years. I've executed or supervised the execution hundreds of contracts. Pretty much every type - production, services, hardware/software, construction - from a few thousand dollars to multi-millions.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The IRS Tried to Take on the Ultrawealthy. It Didn’t Go Well
The wealth team embarked on a contentious audit of Schaeffler in 2012, eventually determining that he owed about $1.2 billion in unpaid taxes and penalties. But after seven years of grinding bureaucratic combat, the IRS abandoned its campaign. The agency informed Schaeffler’s lawyers it was willing to accept just tens of millions, according to a person familiar with the audit.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
One of my favorite news events from 2016:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travis...y-david-teppers-move-to-florida/#95459ee73098

When the departure of just one resident sends your state’s legislative budget office into a panic – it might be time to take a closer look at your tax policies. Such is the current predicament in New Jersey, where the relocation of hedge-fund manager David Tepper to Florida is causing serious concern among finance officers and legislators alike.
I love New Jersey's concept of tax fairness:

Acting New Jersey Treasurer Ford Scudder recently told the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee that “the top 100 filers pay over 5.5 percent of all [gross income tax] payments” in the state, underscoring the impact a move like Tepper’s has on the Garden State economy.

In New Jersey, personal income taxes account for about 40% of state revenue. Compounding the issue (and the instability) even further is the fact that less than 1% of taxpayers contribute about a third of those personal income tax collections. Haines adds that Tepper’s unexpected departure could mean a “one percent forecasting error in the income-tax estimate or a $140 million gap.” That’s huge for a state already in rather dire economic straits. According to the nonpartisan Tax Foundation, New Jersey imposes the nation’s third-highest tax burden. In addition to a super-high personal income tax (8.97% in Tepper’s bracket), residents also pay the nation’s highest property taxes and are subject to both an estate tax and an inheritance tax.
New Jersey got educated on what happens when Atlas shrugs. And when average productive citizens shrug:

Tepper may be the most high-profile migration in recent months, but Bramnick’s concern over losing taxpayers and businesses is supported by over two decades’ worth of data. Between 1992 and 2014, New Jersey lost $24.91 billion in net adjusted gross income (net AGI). Nearly 60% of that net AGI ($14.79 billion) went to – you guessed it – Florida. Clearly, it’s not just billionaires and hedge-fund managers who are seeking sunnier climates for their financial futures. It’s anyone who takes a look at how much they could save by making a move. (According to the website SaveTaxesByMoving.com, a single New Jersey taxpayer making $50,000 annually would save $1,215 per year by moving to Florida. If that money is invested at 6% interest until retirement at age 67, that taxpayer would have an additional $110,408 net worth – not exactly small change.)

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Just did my son's taxes. A very simple return. Long story short, he paid 10% less total income tax on 10% more income than he did in 2017. I would say the new tax law benefited him.

Hard to compare my own taxes to last years because a lot of personal changes made a comparison difficult. Offhand, I say the 20% pass-through deduction benefited me quite a bit.

Even so, I am opposed to the new tax law because of the ginormous deficits it engenders.

Leave my taxes like they are and tax the hell out of all incomes above mine!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
My income went up $2000, my tax went down $1700. Did not itemize for the first time in maybe 30+ years.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Per Joe Biden, my wife and I are $8300 more patriotic this year than last year. 2018 was a good year for my investments, and my wife ramped up the extra shifts at the hospital and dentist office.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Reason: Happy Tax Day! Here Are 6 Infuriating Ways the Government Spends Your Money

General welfare and whatnot

2. $400,000 to promote asset forfeiture…in Paraguay.

You know how various federal and local police agencies can take suspected criminals’ money and other possessions, often without even obtaining a conviction? Apparently, the State Department loves the concept so much that it decided other countries need to do it as well.

Paraguay’s government established an agency in charge of seizing assets back in December 2017. The U.S. government allocated $400,000 to support the new agency’s “strong and sound institutional growth from the beginning and help it become effective at managing and liquidating seized and forfeited assets for the benefit of Paraguayan national interests.”

Which is worse? Watching the U.S. government seize its own citizens’ property, or being forced to fork over money to help a foreign government seize its people’s possessions too?
https://reason.com/2019/04/15/happy...reGv6Ae5by0VPeHmEYOh-X2Bav8Cr651z_nLbRPDcCpQk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.