The Tax Thread

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This didn't seem to fit well in any of the other threads, so I figured I figured I'd make a new one. Not sure how much weight I give this pollster, but the numbers do surprise me, and I think it's a discussion worth having.

Poll: A majority of Americans support raising the top tax rate to 70 percent

Q: Currently the top tax rate is 37%. Would you favor or oppose a tax proposal that would apply a 70% rate to the 10 millionth dollar and beyond for individuals making $10 million a year or more in reportable income?

GOP: 45% support (55% oppose)
Dem: 71% support (29% oppose)
Ind: 60% support (40% oppose)

Total: 59% support (41% oppose)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think most who oppose this do so for one (or both) of two reasons:
- the principle of voting to take vastly more money from someone else simply because they have more, and
- the fact that more revenue is not really what's needed, unless we get serious about government spending and reducing the debt. At this point it's obvious - give congress more money and they'll simply spend more, like giving a drunk more alcohol.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
- the principle of voting to take vastly more money from someone else simply because they have more, and
- the fact that more revenue is not really what's needed, unless we get serious about government spending and reducing the debt. At this point it's obvious - give congress more money and they'll simply spend more, like giving a drunk more alcohol.
At this point we are just electing the same people and hoping things change. There's a word for that I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
progressive taxation is not a radical concept and i think framing it as taking more money from someone else simply because they have more is an oversimplification. whether 70% (or any other percent) is too much or too little, i have no idea, but i think it is worthy of discussion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
progressive taxation is not a radical concept and i think framing it as taking more money from someone else simply because they have more is an oversimplification. whether 70% (or any other percent) is too much or too little, i have no idea, but i think it is worthy of discussion.
Oh, I agree - we've been using a progressive system basically since the beginning of income tax here in the US. I've no problem with that, but I think some who oppose this feel as if that high of a percentage is unfair, regardless of the astronomical income level that's required to reach it or the fact that they will never be affected by it.

I'm more in the second camp - unless / until we make changes to how congress spends money, I'd rather starve the beast than find ways to feed it more money to waste.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
At minimum, I think increasing the number and range of tax brackets would be a positive step. We used to have more, and the system used to be far more progressive. Right now, the upper middle class is lumped into the same bracket as billionaires, and that's a relatively recent change. One that has correlated with a (IMO) damaging wealth redistribution.

The 70% tax bracket in 1965 started at $200k. That's $1.5 million in today's dollars.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Oh, I agree - we've been using a progressive system basically since the beginning of income tax here in the US. I've no problem with that, but I think some who oppose this feel as if that high of a percentage is unfair, regardless of the astronomical income level that's required to reach it or the fact that they will never be affected by it.

I'm more in the second camp - unless / until we make changes to how congress spends money, I'd rather starve the beast than find ways to feed it more money to waste.
i tend to think (or like to think in my fairy tale world) that the spending and funding can be simultaneously dealt with. i am not a fan of starve the best because it is indiscriminate. there is a ton of wasteful spending in government, but there is also a ton of good spending in government.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It sort of comes down to the fact that if we as a country desire to be a global power by spending more on defense than the rest of the world combined. People who have wealth have to pay taxes to support it. We can't say spend a trillion to upgrade our nuclear
weapons and continue to borrow from our adversaries to pay for it.

What I believe has been done with the recent tax gift to the wealthy is to institute a poison pill against the passage of a progressive tax plan that would finance reasonable domestic programs and a reasonable defense budget.

As we continue to transfer wealth to the 1% while at the same time reducing their tax rate the tax burden will by definition be increasingly born by the working middle class.

How does any of this come to a good end when average voter can in no way imagine the wealth and income generated by those who possess the capital in our society?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It sort of comes down to the fact that if we as a country desire to be a global power by spending more on defense than the rest of the world combined. People who have wealth have to pay taxes to support it. We can't say spend a trillion to upgrade our nuclear
weapons and continue to borrow from our adversaries to pay for it.

What I believe has been done with the recent tax gift to the wealthy is to institute a poison pill against the passage of a progressive tax plan that would finance reasonable domestic programs and a reasonable defense budget.

As we continue to transfer wealth to the 1% while at the same time reducing their tax rate the tax burden will by definition be increasingly born by the working middle class.

How does any of this come to a good end when average voter can in no way imagine the wealth and income generated by those who possess the capital in our society?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

I absolutely agree that spending and income are both variables in this equation, and you can't ignore either one if you actually want to solve it.

My issue with the starve the beast solution is that it only hurts poor people. Want to control spending by taking away healthcare? Well, the rich will just pay for the private hospitals the rest of us can't afford. Want to stop funding education? Public schools deteriorate and the rich send their kids to private prep schools. Want to stop funding police forces? The poor communities experience a rise in crime while the rich hire private security. On and on, down the line. Ultimately, the wealth gap just gets wider. A poor person gets sick, and they can't afford care. Maybe they can't work. Maybe they have to conscript their children to help, who no longer have time to study and lose access to the most powerful socioeconomic ladder we have. But the rich don't experience any of these cascading events, and over time, wealth continues to get consolidated at the top.

I saw this recently with a friend of a friend who happens to be a very wealthy investor. Someone mentioned the 3+hr waits at airports during this shutdown, the various security lapses due to unpaid TSA agents, and he just literally dismissed it all with an uncaring wave of his hand. Because he owns a private jet and doesn't have to see any of those issues. The problems and inconveniences of normal people just stop mattering above a certain income level, and starving the beast will leave them untouched while hurting everyone else.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
i tend to think (or like to think in my fairy tale world) that the spending and funding can be simultaneously dealt with. i am not a fan of starve the best because it is indiscriminate. there is a ton of wasteful spending in government, but there is also a ton of good spending in government.
And if it worked at all we wouldn't be at 20 trillion and increasing by another trillion every year.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I could get behind something similar to this - at least be willing to listen - if and only if the middle class get substantial tax relief. That would be more in line with the original income tax.

ETA: It would also help in moving the wealth back to the middle class.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I absolutely agree that spending and income are both variables in this equation, and you can't ignore either one if you actually want to solve it.

My issue with the starve the beast solution is that it only hurts poor people.
Indeed, it's not a good solution at the extreme. I'm not suggesting government shutdown, I'm simply saying giving congress more money when they've (collectively) shown no interest in attacking our over-spending and borrowing is silly to me. Show me a budget that actively fights wasteful spending, eliminates deficit spending, and starts attacking the national debt and I'm all for paying more, even though I make far less than $10 million annually.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Indeed, it's not a good solution at the extreme. I'm not suggesting government shutdown, I'm simply saying giving congress more money when they've (collectively) shown no interest in attacking our over-spending and borrowing is silly to me. Show me a budget that actively fights wasteful spending, eliminates deficit spending, and starts attacking the national debt and I'm all for paying more, even though I make far less than $10 million annually.
A thoughtful, reasoned discussion of priorities and the feasibility of cutting seems impossible in today's political climate. Gone are the days where constitutional justification is needed to burden taxpayers with a permanent and growing obligation. All it seems to take now is a bunch of likes and retweets. The question is whether we can move on from Idiocracy to something better than Wall-E.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have nothing to add but just wanted to pop in and say keep up the good discussion. There's been some good ideas and thoughts expressed and I'm enjoying reading it.
i think slab mentioned it the other day, most of us probably have a fairly significant overlap in basic values/concepts.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A thoughtful, reasoned discussion of priorities and the feasibility of cutting seems impossible in today's political climate. Gone are the days where constitutional justification is needed to burden taxpayers with a permanent and growing obligation. All it seems to take now is a bunch of likes and retweets. The question is whether we can move on from Idiocracy to something better than Wall-E.
i don't think that is the necessarily the case. i think more folks are getting to have a say in what constitutes thoughtful and reasoned and that can be messy for sure.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I have no problem with the 70% bracket on the mega rich. It also needs to come with some closing of loopholes, stiffer enforcement and protection against tax evaders.

But I do agree that we need a major overhaul across the board in a lot of places.

Not only how much the government spends but how the government spends need to be overhauled. For one- government/military operations should not be being punished for coming in under budget. Millions (who am I kidding, billions) is wasted every year in a last minute mad spending dash to use up the operational budget so that they don't have their budget slashed the following year. They may not have needed their full budget that year, but they might need it the next year and so they spend away to make sure someone doesn't cut them - and you end up buying new desks, chairs, etc every single year when it is not needed. Coming in under budget should be celebrated and incentivized.

We also need stricter enforcement on white collar crime. One thing trials like the Manafort trial shows is how often the rich get away with this stuff while a poor person gets the book thrown at them for ounces of drugs or other minor crimes. Millions upon millions of dollars could be brought back into the system by actually enforcing laws and keeping more people honest.

I know we're all taxed pretty badly currently and a lot of the government is wasteful and inefficient etc but my opinion is that if we're going to spend the ridiculous amounts we do on the military then we should also be able to afford social programs that much of the rest of the free world enjoys. I don't think the goal should just be "screw the government because it's wasteful" but rather "let's fix the government from being so wasteful."

Unfortunately most of the billionaires want the government right where it's at because they can control it and turn that wastefulness to line their pockets. Hence the ever widening wealth gap.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have no problem with the 70% bracket on the mega rich. It also needs to come with some closing of loopholes, stiffer enforcement and protection against tax evaders.

But I do agree that we need a major overhaul across the board in a lot of places.

Not only how much the government spends but how the government spends need to be overhauled. For one- government/military operations should not be being punished for coming in under budget. Millions (who am I kidding, billions) is wasted every year in a last minute mad spending dash to use up the operational budget so that they don't have their budget slashed the following year. They may not have needed their full budget that year, but they might need it the next year and so they spend away to make sure someone doesn't cut them - and you end up buying new desks, chairs, etc every single year when it is not needed. Coming in under budget should be celebrated and incentivized.

We also need stricter enforcement on white collar crime. One thing trials like the Manafort trial shows is how often the rich get away with this stuff while a poor person gets the book thrown at them for ounces of drugs or other minor crimes. Millions upon millions of dollars could be brought back into the system by actually enforcing laws and keeping more people honest.

I know we're all taxed pretty badly currently and a lot of the government is wasteful and inefficient etc but my opinion is that if we're going to spend the ridiculous amounts we do on the military then we should also be able to afford social programs that much of the rest of the free world enjoys. I don't think the goal should just be "screw the government because it's wasteful" but rather "let's fix the government from being so wasteful."

Unfortunately most of the billionaires want the government right where it's at because they can control it and turn that wastefulness to line their pockets. Hence the ever widening wealth gap.
and they spend billions on propaganda convincing people that this constitutes liberty and freedom.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.