Link: CNN legal advisor jumps to white privilege defense with interviewer who is not white - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Re: CNN legal advisor jumps to white privilege defense with interviewer who is not w

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    Right. Same in Alabama. It’s listed that way on our school calendars here (“Lee/King Day”). That was my point. I was just joking because I find the whole REL day coinciding with MLK day absurd regardless of its defense.

Cue Tidewater post in 3...2....1 haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We also got Confederate Memorial Day off as well. I think it was the last day in April.

But, oddly enough, we worked on Federal Memorial Day. Go figure.

2. Advertisement

Re: CNN legal advisor jumps to white privilege defense with interviewer who is not w

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    He's wrong.

White privilege means that I don't get randomly pulled over by the police because I'm white.

Even wealthy and prominent African-Americans will tell you of instances where they are pulled over under the same circumstances.

Sen. Tim Scott, in the Summer of 2016: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b08608d332eaa0

A white kid shoots up a church, and he's taken to get fast food on his way to jail after his arrest.

Put a young black kid in that same circumstance, and we're probably not talking about him surviving, much less swinging by Burger King.
    Good point......but what is the difference then between White Privilege, Profiling, Racism, and Stereotyping?

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Different perspectives......

More perspective......

so, you take your cues on white privilege from adam corolla and dr. phil.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    so, you take your cues on white privilege from adam corolla and dr. phil.
    What do you mean "take my cues"?

I enjoy listening to different perspectives.

I only posted because I thought others might too.

Sorry if I offended anyone.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    What do you mean "take my cues"?

I enjoy listening to different perspectives.

I only posted because I thought others might too.

Sorry if I offended anyone.....
    those aren't different perspectives. they are the perspectives. that is part of what white privilege is about.

but hey, you were just asking questions, so no biggie.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    those aren't different perspectives. they are the perspectives. that is part of what white privilege is about.

but hey, you were just asking questions, so no biggie.
    I think the Dr. Phil vid. was more on point.

The Adam Corolla vid. - to me - represents why the whole "White Privilege" concept is flawed.

By using the word "White" you are automatically by default attacking an entire segment of people just based on their race. And even worse......the word "Privilege" is construed to convey they are not entitled to what they have gained in their lives....all because of their skin colour.

You can make whatever arguments you want, but from a public relations POV, this is a huge failure, IMHO.

I would think if you are calling attention to a problem, you would want people of all colour to listen to your message and (more importantly) not feel they are being attacked.

For me personally - I understand what is being argued about race inequality and prejudice.

The example of a person of colour being pulled over because of his skin color is what I have always known as "profiling" - and it is wrong - and should be called out.

Public Relations and Marketing are important part of sales, as many here know. We are all selling something too - every day. How one wishes to present their argument is a direct reflection of this.

Of course, this is just perspective offered on a talk forum and up for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I think the Dr. Phil vid. was more on point.

The Adam Corolla vid. - to me - represents why the whole "White Privilege" concept is flawed.

By using the word "White" you are automatically by default attacking an entire segment of people just based on their race. And even worse......the word "Privilege" is construed to convey they are not entitled to what they have gained in their lives....all because of their skin colour.

You can make whatever arguments you want, but from a public relations POV, this is a huge failure, IMHO.

I would think if you are calling attention to a problem, you would want people of all colour to listen to your message and (more importantly) not feel they are being attacked.

For me personally - I understand what is being argued about race inequality and prejudice.

The example of a person of colour being pulled over because of his skin color is what I have always known as "profiling" - and it is wrong - and should be called out.

Public Relations and Marketing are important part of sales, as many here know. We are all selling something too - every day. How one wishes to present their argument is a direct reflection of this.

Of course, this is just perspective offered on a talk forum and up for discussion.
    bless your heart. just in time for the mlk holiday too.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    We also got Confederate Memorial Day off as well. I think it was the last day in April.

But, oddly enough, we worked on Federal Memorial Day. Go figure.
    Both are holidays in Alabama. However, about all that closed for CMD are state offices...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

I wish I knew what the white privilege is and where I could have signed up for it. I saw many classmates in law school and business school get free rides not based on merit, but because of their skin color. Same with hiring preferences upon graduation. More recently, I've seen how the government is thick with extra benefits to those who can check the right minority-status boxes. But, that's just decades of first hand experience. This may not conform to the proper ideology.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; January 19th, 2019 at 06:37 PM.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

I wish I knew what the white privilege is and where I could have signed up for it. I saw many classmates in law school and business school get free rides not based on merit, because because of their skin color. Same with hiring preferences upon graduation. More recently, the government is thick with extra benefits to those who can check the right minority-status boxes. But, that's just decades of first hand experience. This may not conform to the proper ideology.
    Bless your heart. Just in time for the MLK holiday too.