Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
A former Bama native, I must admit to finding and really enjoying this site; you guys are really good writers and football minds here and I don't say that lightly. A long time Sooner and tranplanted from Bama to Oklahoma when young and now a retired Az resident (I'm homesick for the South, Bama and Oklahoma), I have watched great college football for decades; was a recruit to OU myself as a HS Jr. natl athletic award winner, etc. (had physical ailment ended my football as a HS Sr.); want to comment and share maybe some things you haven't seen re: Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma; now that he is officially enrolled lots of stuff is coming out about the process he went through; first to repeat he is a serious class guy, highly respected already for the person he seems to be, no doubt he is. I read the tribute he wrote to you all and wow, that is a man and pure class and integrity; that says a lot with his background there, giving it up and getting it back albeit seasons apart.....what Character with a capital C.
Anyway, I read today that Jalens dad had called Lincoln Riley a month ago to ask IF he showed an interest in OU would OU reciprocate and was told yes, they would. No more contact till the portal by Jalen and then his visits to Maryland, OU and Miami; from what I recall it went like this 1. Maryland visit- he was treated like an incoming Freshman as the new head coach was still learning it himself and that was the best approach they had for the visit 2. Miami- treated him like a rock star and did all the usual things that go with that including a fancy dinner where there just happened to be some Miami fans dining who upon seeing him came by to shake hands and tell of their support for him were he to choose them to play QB - 3. OU- From the get go, Lincoln Riley treated him like the mature grad that he is and didn't spend much but a walk through of facilities (OUs are really good, not quite Bama but oh so close), anyway, Lincoln and he watched game film and Lincoln broke down how and what process he planned to use for Jalen to become a better QB and how Lincoln would utilize the Offense to adapt to his skills and vice versa, there is now none better on offense at doing this than Lincoln Riley; He showed Jalen what drills he planned on using to improve his passing (he does that for all QBs) and the offense the plays, and tons of tecnical breakdowns designed for Jalen and not only now but his to be new found skills as a QB in this Offense; Jalen told Lincoln before he left he would be a Sooner, but had promised Miami a visit so he followed through with it; character again. Early on, Lincoln had told Austin Kendall the OU backup that Jalen may come there and that is when Austin decided to enter the portal; we now know Austin ended up in West Va. so we will face him most likley for two more years; he's good, really good but not what we've had or what Jalen is coming in. Our OL is all new but for Center and TE. However they are all larger than who we had and all very good prospects; you are used to that, we are now getting back to it. We signed 4 5 star offensive players with 3 of them being receivers; it's a QB's dream with what we have at receiver and we are not through, we may have another "Hollywood Brown" coming soon from juco. sadly Brown was not near normal from his injury for the Orange Bowl, it would not have changed the outcome I don't think, but it may well have caused it to be closer from the get go; he was unreal to see...just for the thrill of it he would have been a treat for all had he been healthy; especially for smallish guys wanting to play. Anyway, our Spring game is April 13 and I bet now it will be televised so you folks will probably get to see him in our Crimson and Cream; read that red and white and it will look like a flash back. I can't wait myself and think he will be better at passing than some predict; time will tell........
Good stuff, Seven. Thanks for sharing. You can rest assured many of us will be watching Jalen from afar come fall. I personally think that he will lead Oklahoma to playoffs.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
That's the difference....you'd have to do some research, OU's just jump off the page...
I can only go by the tenor of this board now compared to when I first began to post some 15 years ago. It seems clear to me that overall there's an aura of hubris now. My observation is not really a criticism. TideFans is not unique in this fact. At least you have earned the right to be smug. You are correct in your assessment of Longhorn smugness...it is the gold standard. You have earned the right to be smug as a fan base. It's only natural given the success you've had. As far as the former players and coaches you have mentioned, it's not my place to be critical of any of them. They are all human. They all have made mistakes. I dare say if I cared enough to devote the time necessary to research the history of Alabama football I'd not doubt find some unseemly characters. If my team had been on the run Alabama has I'd be smug too.
All boards like this take on personalities over time. This is a great college football board but its personality, in my humble opinion, has changed somewhat. Its not necessarily a bad thing.I just don't quite understand why you feel the necessity to lash out. I have great respect for this board, its members, and Alabama football. That has not changed.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Thanks Jalen for your outstanding contributions to the University. I have a 12 year old daughter and if she finds and marries a man with your class and character some day, she will be so fortunate. Good luck.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
That was my central question. Does Riley adapt or force Hurts to adapt? I think he is pretty sold on his system. So I am not sure why he would adapt a system he is in love with.
ETA: How much of a change did he make from Mayfield to Murray? Was it a substantial change or small?
To me, Hurts only had problems with "very strong to elite"defenses. Look for futs to light up the big 12. Here is a strong runner, not just fast or slippery. The kind of strong runner that most lb's or db's in the big 12 don't want to tackle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.