Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I'd add one thing to people wondering how Hurts would do. Remember aside from his brilliant but limited play this season, all we saw of him was as an 18 or 19 year old who hadn't really benefited from good quarterback coaching.

Here's Jalen Hurts as a true freshman passer: 2,780 passing yards, 23 passing TDs, 139 rating (his worst).
Mayfield as a true freshman at Texas Tech: 2,315 passing yards, 12 passing TDs, 127.7 rating (his worst).
Kyler Murray as a true freshman at Texas A&M: 686 passing yards, 5 TDs, 109.2 rating (his worst).

One key difference is we didn't see true sophomore versions of Mayfield or Murray play because they were transfers, but we did see both make a leap forward. It appears Hurts already started making progress with his play last season and his coaching, but there are plenty of reasons to expect big things from Hurts next season. In order to not put up 3,000 yards passing and 30 TDs passing in the Oklahoma offense, I think he'd have to take a step backwards.
Murray stepped in behind a seasoned, talented, athletic Oline. Mayfield started behind a very young Oline in 2015. Jalen may not come out dazzling because he will be behind 4 new O linemen. Our Oline coach is tremendous but it may take a few games before the O is firing on all 8.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Have been going hard at the office since the NCG, which - admittedly, has been a blessing, so not sure whether it was common knowledge that Okie was in play.

Certainly caught me off guard...

Could not be more proud of Jalen.

And nothing but best wishes to him.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If they win the NC next year he will be the first, to my knowledge, to win the NC at 2 different schools. I don't think that will happen, for CU's defense -- and ours -- will be better than OU's. But it is an interesting thought...

The best of all to JH -- he gave Bama his all, that is for sure.

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018
I told all the Ou fans this. I said, “I want you to watch and pay very close attention to the difference between Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts, and you’ll understand what Class is.”
Jalen's personality probably meshes better with my old-school mentality -- but Baker Mayfield is a quality person.

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
Baker is a very high quality person from a high quality family; they lost most of what they had in the 08 recession and sold out and down to make it, however they kept supporting Baker in his sports quest and school. One thing the media did NOT do was to show what Kansas players did to him during their game; they only showed him grab his crotch, not a good move, but in response to being kicked, cursed, mashed with obvious intent to injure, not counting openly refusing to shake hands at the coin toss; two wrongs don't make a right but the crotch grab was in response to having been mashed again, and one of the KU asst coaches making that gesture at him from across the field, after several times of that Baker responded; media outside Okla hasn't shown any of that that I have seen; but to say Baker doesn't have class is wrong imo, he certainly does. My contacts in Oklahoma say nothing but good things about Jalen and most all look forward to him being here as a SOONER. Many think Lincoln Riley working with him, will make him a more complete QB by 1. improving his passing skills and designing plays specifically for his running skills; if so OU will be on a tear again on Offense. Since OU has now hired a DC and a defensive staff, I would not count on seeing such a train wreck of a defense as OU had last year; they have a long way to go yet, but now have all needed to get it done....we will most likley meet on the playoff field again, I look forward to it as always; very much like the series we used to have with Nebraska. Jalen should be great fun to watch and I think Bama fans are rightfully gracious about him and very proud, I know we will be too.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Good luck Jalen, you're a man of class and your parents have raised you well! You have a solid foundation under you and that will help you navigate your life. Roll Tide Jalen, and may God Bless you!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
C'mon man, Mayfield is a douchenozzle. No sane parent in the western world looks at him and hopes their child ends up acting like that.
Did the Oklahoma posters try to gloss over the whole running from cop incident? Or his antics in the NFL? I'm kind of done listening to their nonsense. I swear Oklahoma fans will make excuses for anything...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I personally really like Baker. Seems like a decent enough person even if he's not exactly a boy scout.
I can count at least three different times in which he had to go out and apologize for his behavior while at Oklahoma. And his whole Hue Jackson statements and behavior would be added to that. It doesn't matter if he's right, he should act like a professional.

Yeah he's not a boy scout, he's a jerk. He has some Johnny Manziel in him, and so far he's managed it, but I'll tell you this right now. Getting drunk and running from the cops isn't something we've all done. This isn't normal behavior, the guy has issues and it isn't a one time thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.