Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the talk about Jalen and the Heisman is a little premature. I know why some are making that connection with the two preceding transfers.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the talk about Jalen and the Heisman is a little premature. I know why some are making that connection with the two preceding transfers.
It's because being a full time starter at Oklahoma darn near comes with one.

It isn't just Mayfield and Murray, it's White and Bradford. And Heupel came in second... all 5 of those guys were AP players of the year to, so Hurts really did just move way up in the Heisman odds.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's because being a full time starter at Oklahoma darn near comes with one.

It isn't just Mayfield and Murray, it's White and Bradford. And Heupel came in second... all 5 of those guys were AP players of the year to, so Hurts really did just move way up in the Heisman odds.
Yeah, I know it's a big part of it and when you add to it how he also looked "improved" in relief duty and especially in the SECCG it all adds up.

It would just probably be better without the hype because it could set him up for disappointment. We've seen the evidence of improvement, no doubt, but we haven't seen him do it like a starter has to do it week after week after week with the mental, emotional and physical grind and with teams gameplanning against his new-found skill set.

Don't take that wrong...I believe he's improved...and I'm rooting for his success to be just short of Bama's, but it's one thing to be improved and it's another to have the Heisman hype before you take a snap.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Some scatter shot comments: Rattler will not enroll until this summer. The expectation is he will RS. Hurts' competition this spring will be RS freshman Tanner Mordecai ( 1st team 6A all state at Waco Midway ). He is 6'2" and around 215lbs and ran a 10.8 hundred meters in H.S. The general consensus out our way is L.R. covets Hurts as much for his character and leadership as he does for his athleticism. Hurts is a bridge to a battle between Mordecai and Rattler in 2020. L.R. is a master at scheming to the QB's strength. Murray ran more by design than Mayfield ever did. The big question mark will be our Oline. We are loaded at all the skill positions but only one starter back on the Oline. We have 3 5☆ WR 's coming in this class to go along with CeeDee Lamb and Rambo among others. Hurts will learn from Riley and be the better for it but what our young QB's will learn from Hurts is invaluable. Not to mention that Hurts has the poise and experience to get us through our early schedule while the Oline gells.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
He may have improved his Heisman odds, by the same logic he decreased his championship odds. I’d love to see OU in the playoffs, but I will hate beating Jalen so badly!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Some scatter shot comments: Rattler will not enroll until this summer. The expectation is he will RS. Hurts' competition this spring will be RS freshman Tanner Mordecai ( 1st team 6A all state at Waco Midway ). He is 6'2" and around 215lbs and ran a 10.8 hundred meters in H.S. The general consensus out our way is L.R. covets Hurts as much for his character and leadership as he does for his athleticism. Hurts is a bridge to a battle between Mordecai and Rattler in 2020. L.R. is a master at scheming to the QB's strength. Murray ran more by design than Mayfield ever did. The big question mark will be our Oline. We are loaded at all the skill positions but only one starter back on the Oline. We have 3 5☆ WR 's coming in this class to go along with CeeDee Lamb and Rambo among others. Hurts will learn from Riley and be the better for it but what our young QB's will learn from Hurts is invaluable. Not to mention that Hurts has the poise and experience to get us through our early schedule while the Oline gells.
We know he is in good hands Owen but you guys got a tremendous kid in Hurts. He is a winner and I would hate to face him in the playoffs which could very well happen.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I know it's a big part of it and when you add to it how he also looked "improved" in relief duty and especially in the SECCG it all adds up.
It would just probably be better without the hype because it could set him up for disappointment. We've seen the evidence of improvement, no doubt, but we haven't seen him do it like a starter has to do it week after week after week with the mental, emotional and physical grind and with teams gameplanning against his new-found skill set.
???... He had an undefeated regular season, won the SEC Offensive Player of the Year, and was a defensive stop away from being a 15-0 Freshman national champion when he had a play-caller who knew how to utilize his strengths. Lincoln Riley is as good an offensive mind as they come - I expect Jalen and the OU offense to put up gaudy numbers against Big XII defenses.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: Hurts to Oklahoma

Good luck Jalen,... I hope you do well against those Big 12 defenses and I hope OU's D is the worst in D1.
It pretty much was the worst last year. Unfortunately for Jalen, I think Texas takes the BIG12 next year!

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I think he will have much better D support. We have a whole new D staff coming in and we were very young...9 starters returning and a great class on the D side coming in. I expect our D to be much improved but the proof will be in the pudding. If our Oline comes along through our OOC schedule the 2nd Sat. in October at the state fair will be a war.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If that Great Value brand Tebow for Texas can run all over Big-12 teams then Hurts may set the record for rushing yards for a QB.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I am surprised he would choose OU. I know he's a quality kid and a great athlete, but not many would choose to follow back to back Heisman winners. OU fans can be brutal. He will be welcomed right up until he has a hiccup. He knows pressure without a doubt, so we will all be watching.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd add one thing to people wondering how Hurts would do. Remember aside from his brilliant but limited play this season, all we saw of him was as an 18 or 19 year old who hadn't really benefited from good quarterback coaching.

Here's Jalen Hurts as a true freshman passer: 2,780 passing yards, 23 passing TDs, 139 rating (his worst).
Mayfield as a true freshman at Texas Tech: 2,315 passing yards, 12 passing TDs, 127.7 rating (his worst).
Kyler Murray as a true freshman at Texas A&M: 686 passing yards, 5 TDs, 109.2 rating (his worst).

One key difference is we didn't see true sophomore versions of Mayfield or Murray play because they were transfers, but we did see both make a leap forward. It appears Hurts already started making progress with his play last season and his coaching, but there are plenty of reasons to expect big things from Hurts next season. In order to not put up 3,000 yards passing and 30 TDs passing in the Oklahoma offense, I think he'd have to take a step backwards.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Battle-tested and a proven winner at the highest level of college football, Jalen will absolutely tear up the Big 12 next year and lead the Sooners to a playoff appearance. LR was wise to pursue him. He’s perfect for their O and I’d say right now he has as good of a chance as anybody of winning the Heisman.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.