My take on all things assistant coaches (UPDATE on Sarkisian/Jones)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobrettjohnson

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 28, 2018
Re: My take on all things assistant coaches...

I think they need to poach...............do it to other teams for a change...........starting with Lake
I believe Saban has tried but having difficulty. Do we believe he would choose a Butch Jones over a more proven OC, or is that just he is left with?Maybe the reason it is difficult to poach is that some might be afraid, as some recruits are, that Saban won’t be around much longer. Could also be that with the Dabo method and the profession evolving, that they don’t have to endure the hard-nosed types in order to be successful. Lastly it could be that Saban has reached the bottom of the barrel in terms of coaches. I honestly don’t think Saban himself could really answer that question though.

Last edited:

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

Goodness, I don't know if I can stomach Butch Jones as an OC. Merciful heavens!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Jess, I respect your opinion, but I’ve heard from a few people along with the now news reports that Tosh wasn’t calling plays. More than just internet rumor level talk now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, when Feldman and Suttles are reporting the same thing it qualifies as much more than internet rumor..

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL

I dont believe for one second that there arent capable guys with the hunger and ambition to work for the big $ and the guarantees of even more future big $ that come with Saban. Lazy ppl usually dont make a million dollars a year. Usually.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

No offense Jess, but that just doesn't send a warm tingle up my leg. I just can't get excited about this much change on the staff....again.
I can’t understand Sarkisian turning down an NFL OC job to come back and be a college QB coach.

I’ll wait and see but I’m not feeling great over any of this either. And Enos is no great loss. Talented? Maybe. Worth losing sleep over after the way he left? Nope.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan

I don't know what to think and I'm starting to question my knowledge regarding football. If Golding took over mid-way and Saban loves Golding, then why did the D seem to regress to the point where most people agree there were huge breakdowns, misalignments and huge communication breakdowns as the season went on?

I think its funny how much a media narrative drives our perceptions. it wasn't that long ago that Saban was a coaching genius that gave assistants a PHD in coaching and most (if not all) used that knowledge to better their careers. They last 2 years have been a lot of turnover but to me there are really only 2 assistants in the last 10 years that I feel have set the program back or forced no win situations (just a little). 1. Pruitt, I don't blame him and I bet Saban doesn't either but if UT doesn't mess up their coaching search, Pruitt leaves this year and the succession plan would have been more seamless. 2. Kiffin, it was a great ride but a hard fall, Locksley was no better than the Nussmeier's of the world with elite talent and an all world QB. If Kiffin wasn't a 16 year-old trapped in a 40 plus year old's body and stayed around to truly rehab his imagine, can you imagine what he could have done.

I get where most people are coming from and it looks bad, everyone is saying its bad but, and this is just my opinion, it is primarily driven by this new narrative out there. Saban has always turned over his staff, the only real difference is the OC/DC shuffling with recruiting being a huge factor in the last 2 hires.

2 years ago and even last year he was a genius, now he is someone that is hard to work for and doesn't have as much fun as Dabo. I don't buy it. I think he was forced into a no win situation and he picked recruiting, I also think he realizes he made a mistake and instead of forcing it, he is fixing it

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I think Sark wants back in the college game, and where to better become a college head coach than under Saban’s tutelage at Alabama. The Nick Saban Coaches rehabilitation Center. The results speak for themselves!

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I can’t understand Sarkisian turning down an NFL OC job to come back and be a college QB coach.

I’ll wait and see but I’m not feeling great over any of this either. And Enos is no great loss. Talented? Maybe. Worth losing sleep over after the way he left? Nope.
I think the Butch being OC is pure rumor and a guess. Several media members who cover BAMA full time saying no truth Butch Jones will be OC. Sark is the OC, end of discussion. I’d trust guys like Suttles, Feldman, Reier and their sources.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Did Locks try to poach Gattis from behind Saban’s back? It sounds like that’s how it went down. I’m hoping not but it really seems like Gattis and Enos leaving were completely unforeseen. If it went down like it’s being reported I could easily understand Coach’s anger. I’d be furious and I doubt I could hold my tongue with the media without eviscerating them. I know why he’s just using the “Is what it is” model and that’s truly the best thing to do at this point but good grief...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

Agree. Uncharted waters here for sure. There will be a price to pay for all this turnover-some of it has already been paid last Monday night. And there may be more in the future.
No offense Jess, but that just doesn't send a warm tingle up my leg. I just can't get excited about this much change on the staff....again.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL

Why is bj so disturbing as OC? Because hes a dork? Who cares. We got out coached in the tiltle game. Need nerds. Let the other guys do the recruiting.

The fb brains tend not to be the rah rah type.

Sark is still young and has gotten a second and fourth chance with the Master. Maybe behind the booze is some backbone. You never know w ppl.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Was last season the first time during his tenure at Alabama that a majority of the staff was made up of coaches that haven't worked with CNS before?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'm not as scared as some are of Butch as OC. Daboll was a lousy offensive coordinator in the NFL (still is) and he didn't entirely ruin Alabama's offense. Locksley was historically bad as a head coach, he somehow managed as Alabama's coordinator.

Having said that, I'd only be ok with it is if he was co-oc with Sark. That way both would have dual roles and they could basically replicate what Sark did at USC (where Kiffin the receivers guy was co-oc along with Sark the QB guy). I'd also remind people that Butch had 11 wins at Central Michigan, 10 wins at Cincinnati, and 9 wins twice as Tennessee (which is the best anyone has done since Fulmer) so he's not exactly incompetent when it comes to football and all his experience is on the offensive side of the ball.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA

If we are going to go with an OC and WR coach, then the mention of Lance Taylor fills that need, although I would tend to think Sark as the better play caller.

Best of breed at their respective areas work, but they have to gell with each other, players, and of course Saban. Oh, and stick around longer than 10 min.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

* Subtle brag, but we Tweeted out sort of the Enos deal before it made an "official" story. For those that missed the tweet: We did not expect to lose him, it hurts and it's a setback.

Jess, can you elaborate? What happened and why? This break-up sounds personal.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that CNS is having to build this staff from the clearance rack.
As much as buzz's statement troubles me, this maybe what is actually happening. We are all biased in our attitudes toward CNS, but the new reality is that not every coach wants to work for him, for whatever their reasons may be.

I had not heard Kevin Steele mentioned before, but rehiring him and Lance Thompson would not give me a great deal of confidence, but he does have history (not all good) with both of these coaches so that maybe a consideration. Not liking the idea of Butch Jones as OC, maybe TE or RBs would be okay. We are all pretty much in the dark of how this will turn out, but I hope he can pull another rabbit out of his hat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.