My take on all things assistant coaches (UPDATE on Sarkisian/Jones)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: My take on all things assistant coaches...

I'm genuinely having trouble figuring out who will be here, except CNS ( I guess??), to start next season who was here this season. I don't know how you can keep doing this to this extent and not have it begin to have a negative impact.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that CNS is having to build this staff from the clearance rack.
Getting there too, but we'll see. Some of the names floating around (which may be completely made up) are top shelf names. Others really, REALLY (REALLY!) aren't. I guess the alternative is that Saban actively looks for something other than elite technicians/X's and O's guys when filling certain positions. I think that's definitely been the case historically with his OC hires, for instance. And before anyone who's had a lobotomy pounds on their keyboard at me, yes, Saban always gets the benefit of the doubt and we're right to defer to him on whatever his metrics and methods are.

On the OP, crossing my fingers that the OL coach hotboard looks more like Jess's list than some of the other lists I've seen recently.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I think the Butch being OC is pure rumor and a guess. Several media members who cover BAMA full time saying no truth Butch Jones will be OC. Sark is the OC, end of discussion. I’d trust guys like Suttles, Feldman, Reier and their sources.
I feel like it’s Sark as well....... put Butch at WR, since he has done that before

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

This whole ordeal is making me more nauseous by the day.

We are ALABAMA.... Still the #1 Overall Football Program in the Country!!!

Why does it look like A) We can't keep a Staff even remotely in tact year after year... B) We now don't even appear to be able to attract any Proven Coaching commodities and/or C) We aren't even trying to go find the best coaches.....almost just settling for whatever reject we can sign up???

Our Coordinator situation is absolutely ridiculous. We are about to be on our FIFTH OC since 2016 and our FOURTH DC since 2015.....

I'm particularly ticked off about the current turnover because BOTH Locks AND Tosh we basically promoted so that we wouldn't lose them to another school..... CNS gave them both the Top 2 positions on the staff under only himself and they BOTH Bolt after ONE season.

Oh and are we even going to look for a young hotshot coach on the rise for any of the new vacancies??

I mean if it were me I'd at LEAST interview someone like Sean Gleeson at Princeton for the OC gig.

He just shattered IVY League records this past year and the #4 Offense in all of the FCS.

Here's his BIO.... not that Alabama is interested..... *SIGH*
https://goprincetontigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=6519&path=football

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

Yeah, saw Gleeson's name get brought up shortly after the Enos news broke, looked him up, and loved his bio. Would've been a phenomenal hire, I'd bet.

But, like I was saying above, we don't even seem to LOOK for top shelf minds in our OC hires. Sure, very few guys we could hire are so bad that they'd wreck our offense, but I'd love to just once see a hire that really made me think we'd found the guy that was going to actually take it to the next level and that was really going to be a gameplanning/scheming nightmare for everyone we played. Not in the cards.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia

I can’t understand Sarkisian turning down an NFL OC job to come back and be a college QB coach.

I’ll wait and see but I’m not feeling great over any of this either. And Enos is no great loss. Talented? Maybe. Worth losing sleep over after the way he left? Nope.
in all honesty which would you rather do? you have a choice of being a QB coach for Saban at Alabama with a chance of working your way to OC in a season or two or be the OC for Kliff Kingsbury at the Arizona Cardinals? which offers more job security? you already know Saban and his personality and what you are getting in to or you look at Kingsbury and his record at Texas Tech and wonder how he got the job.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I feel like it’s Sark as well....... put Butch at WR, since he has done that before
For what it’s worth, as I believe anyone can edit the pages, on Wikipedia, Sark’s has him as OC , and Butch’s has him as an offensive assistant coach. My feeling is that Sark will be OC, abutch will be TE and assistant HC!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm going to leave for a few hours and come back and hope I dreamed this thread...:eek2:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I feel like I heard a rumor that Sark was interviewing coaches with Saban for the OL gig. I may be wrong though. But if thats the case you gotta think hes the OC.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

I'm particularly ticked off about the current turnover because BOTH Locks AND Tosh we basically promoted so that we wouldn't lose them to another school..... CNS gave them both the Top 2 positions on the staff under only himself and they BOTH Bolt after ONE season.
I don't believe Tosh "bolted."

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I feel like I heard a rumor that Sark was interviewing coaches with Saban for the OL gig. I may be wrong though. But if thats the case you gotta think hes the OC.
I read that somewhere also. It is hard to tell what is true and what Saban wants the media to believe (whether true or not).
I just hope Saban can still get the recruits he wants for Feb. signing day, especially on defense and that 4 star RB Kelian.
I don't have a good feeling about the staff changes, but hopefully once everything is official there will be some nice hires.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

Are we talking about the Lance Taylor that played at UA back in the day?
Yes. From his bio on the Panthers website:
A walk-on at Alabama before earning a scholarship, Taylor played in 38 consecutive games at wide receiver from 1999-2003. As a senior, he was as a special teams captain in current Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula's first season as the Crimson Tide's head coach.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Sad, but illuminating, article on al.com:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...alabama-was-long-expected.html?outputType=amp

We all have a ceiling, and I take no joy in any man running into his. I’m sorry for Tosh and I’m sorry for the team, and I’m sorry for Saban.

Everyone involved took a risk, and it didn’t work out.

When a man gives his all, and it’s not enough, it’s incredibly painful. Best wishes to Tosh in the future.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

I think Coach Saban is looking to hire more experienced coordinators who will be here for 3-4 years. I'm not at all concerned about Sark as OC as long as his personal issues are not a problem, and I don't they will be or Saban wouldn't bring him back. The fact that he's also interviewing the other offensive coaches makes me think he's going to be the OC. I look for Butch to be a position coach - most likely WRs. I think the he and Sark could put together solid game plans for our offense each week. And I think Sark is capable of making adjustments during the game, so I see that working well.

IMHO, the key hire is OL coach. We have tremendous talent at the skill positions, but we all know that doesn't matter if you can't control the LOS. It all starts up front with the big uglies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...alabama-was-long-expected.html?outputType=amp

We all have a ceiling, and I take no joy in any man running into his. I’m sorry for Tosh and I’m sorry for the team, and I’m sorry for Saban.

Everyone involved took a risk, and it didn’t work out. I’m not sure, though, that being a DC in the NFL is any easier than in the SEC, so I’m not sure how the new gig represents a better chance for success.

When a man gives his all, and it’s not enough, it’s incredibly painful. Best wishes to Tosh in the future.
He's not DC at his new gig. He'll be the DL coach. And I'm not sure that Tosh hit his ceiling I think the point is more that he may not have reached it yet and needs more development before he can get there.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

He's not DC at his new gig. He'll be the DL coach. And I'm not sure that Tosh hit his ceiling I think the point is more that he may not have reached it yet and needs more development before he can get there.
You’re right about the DL position. Thanks for the catch. Now corrected.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

Personally, I could sit here and think of all kinds of situations with the turnover and who's gonna replace who. Central fact, I trust Saban. He knows who to put where, and who will run whatever.... So, with that said, once again, I trust Saban. He'll figure it out and place the right personnel where they need to be. JMO

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Everyone involved took a risk, and it didn’t work out.

In the comments section, I found this one funny for some reason
. This is the result when you hire a security guard to do the job of a Navy Seal > 44-16!
Anyway, I find it a further indictment of the 2018 defense that two players we see as underperforming are PROJECTED NFL top 25 picks based on talent.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

As much as buzz's statement troubles me, this maybe what is actually happening. We are all biased in our attitudes toward CNS, but the new reality is that not every coach wants to work for him, for whatever their reasons may be.

I had not heard Kevin Steele mentioned before, but rehiring him and Lance Thompson would not give me a great deal of confidence, but he does have history (not all good) with both of these coaches so that maybe a consideration. Not liking the idea of Butch Jones as OC, maybe TE or RBs would be okay. We are all pretty much in the dark of how this will turn out, but I hope he can pull another rabbit out of his hat.
Folks,

Apparently as a shock to some people, you shouldn’t believe everything you read on Twitter, other social media, even this site, in AL.com, or hear on JOX radio.....anyone who believes Nick Saban would hire Butch Jones to be Alabama’s OC is just absolutely foolish...an on field position coach? Ya, that’s likely credible because believe it or not Butch Jones is a good coach who got a bad rap as the head coach of The Tennessee dumpster fire of a program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.