My take on all things assistant coaches (UPDATE on Sarkisian/Jones)... - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Re: My take on all things assistant coaches...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I hope Saban is able to right the ship and ride off into the sunset on his own terms.
    Gotta say, this made me chuckle.

2. Advertisement
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    * Subtle brag, but we Tweeted out sort of the Enos deal before it made an "official" story. For those that missed the tweet: We did not expect to lose him, it hurts and it's a setback.

Jess, can you elaborate? What happened and why? This break-up sounds personal.

The Feldman/Suttles story about Enos lays it out but basically he was going to be OC here and decided some time around the playoffs that he was going to start looking elsewhere without telling Saban. I don't know that it's "personal," although Enos was/is a strong personality and didn't always move in lockstep with Saban, but that's not necessarily a flaw (so long as you recognize who the boss is). I would say he might have chafed against Saban's level of control and was given more freedom at Miami than he was going to have here.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Bama had trouble with coverages all year. Arkansas was the canary in the coal mine there. It seems that most of Oklahoma's passing yards were off guys not guarding the right players.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tideindc View Post
    My belief is that Saban is not only one of the smartest guys out there, but also the hardest working. That combination is always going to lead to success in any endeavor. Coaches work for him because they will learn every aspect of what makes a winner and see their own personal value rise when other programs are looking for coaches. But "work life balance" is probably not going to be offered under Coach Saban...ever...especially since he surely works as hard or harder then any of his assistants do!
    How can anyone believe that all of these young ACs come here not knowing that? Sure, they want the prestige that comes from coaching under CNS, and the amazing learning experience. And let's not forget we pay these guys a lot of money. Along with the (hopefully) championship rings. All great resume enhancers.

All they have to do is give CNS a verbal agreement to stay at least 2 years. They all do. But, once things get tough, they suddenly realize it was harder than they ever imagined? Well, maybe, but tough garbanzo beans. It comes with the territory.

Ok, so if they want to spend more time with the family (understandable), and don't relish the alpha charlies (who does?), then they should have not come here. But, to come here, give your word, and then let word leak on "on the grapevine" (as Coach HairBawl put it) before the season is over................................

Yeah, go play putt-putt golf with the laid-back crowd. Maybe they will win, and maybe they won't. Life teaches us which one wins out, in the long run.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Too much inconsistency that never improved as the year went on. The potency of the offense took a lot attention away from the problems on the defense.
    IIRC, Saban intimated this before this past season began. He knew he would have to outscore some opponents because of the defensive losses to the NFL and injuries. I do agree that top to bottom this may have been his least experienced and prepared coaching staff since he has been at Alabama.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    LSU and MSU were 10 yard offenses that had no vertical threats. Its not that surprising that we shut them out. LSU also has another average at best qb, and MSU had a qb that hasnt been himself all year due to a bad injury last year.
    Back to back shutouts in the SEC is very rare. I understand their offenses set-up good for our D but shutting them both out is surprising, at least to me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Back to back shutouts in the SEC is very rare. I understand their offenses set-up good for our D but shutting them both out is surprising, at least to me.
    My point is that looking at our defense its not hard to see who exposed us and who didnt stand a chance. The most surprising defensive performance all year was holding Ole Miss to 7. Our defense was a slightly better version of a Big XII defense all things considered. Bring an accurate qb with tall receivers with an offense that is designed for the big play and you are probably going to have some success. Bring an offense designed to play for 10 yards and you are probably going to get wrecked.

Part of its talent, but I say a lot of it is coaching. Pruitt was able to adapt well during games, Kirby and Tosh werent. I think thats why I think its critical to get a legit DC and not just a recruiter or lifetime position coach that went up through the ranks
    Last edited by 81usaf92; January 18th, 2019 at 01:09 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Second Team

Once these young coaches with young wives and /or kids come to 'Bama to work for the GOAT, they get that bullet point on their resume, FOREVER.

Then they get here and realize that in order to work here, they must put more time and effort into it than they ever imagined. After a long season things like having fun slides in the football office, or hearing coaches talk about how "fun" it is to work for (insert school) likely starts to sound pretty good....besides, they will always be able to say they are part of the "Saban Tree" of coaching.

I worked for a high school coach like that...staff meetings before school and after practice, film on saturdays and practice on sunday afternoons...lifting 4 days a week in summer, and on and on. At the time I had a new baby and after 5 years enough was enough. Of course we did win a lot of games and that coach is now the HC at UAB...and would make a great DC IMO...

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator