My take on all things assistant coaches (UPDATE on Sarkisian/Jones)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Re: My take on all things assistant coaches...

I'm more concerned about our offense than I am with defense for some reason. I'm not sure if Butch Jones would be good choice for OC Spot.
His time as OC at Central Michigan:
2001: Opp Pts/G: 31.5 (87th of 117)
2002: Opp Pts/G: 32.0 (93rd of 117)
2003: Opp Pts/G: 35.7 (105th of 117)

and then we have this article on Butch's offense at Tennessee: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/tennessee-inside-zone-smashmouth-spread/

If he knows the concept, if he can call the right plays in right situation, then maybe we'll be okay. We'll find out on A Day and see if we can get an idea of how he will call plays here and there.

Why did you list the opponents points per game? That's on the defense...he would be coaching the offense...or does this mean something else?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Idk if this is allowed or not but I'm just going to go for it. Sorry in advance if its not Mods.

On a different forum it is being said that the OL coach might come out today and the name they are hearing the most is still Kyle Flood. Also said that the OLB coach might be locked up in the next few days and the front runner has ties to Alabama.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Is Sark actually IN Tuscaloosa? Is he calling recruits or whatever coaches do this time of year? This is just such a strange story.

I am going to just say this and then butt out: I can not see any way Sark turned down the OC job at Arizona (NFL) to come to Bama to be our QB coach. Surely he is the OC? I can't believe there is even a question about that, unless he isn't really employed by the school and this is just talk.

So then we get to the idea of whether or not Sark is any good as an OC? Another strange question. Let me just ask this: given a choice between Mike Locksley's body of work and Steve Sarkisian's, who would you rather have? The man coached one game for us against a very good Clemson team featuring DeShaun Watson, with a quarterback who was a freshman and not an accomplished thrower, and lost his biggest weapon during the game. And this is how we judge the guy? We lost because the defense allowed Clemson to march straight down the field in what, a minute 20 seconds? And it's Sark's fault?

One thing this crazy two weeks has done has brought a lot of ugliness out into the open, and I look on that as a good thing. So there was a lack of staff cohesion that may have affected the team and split them into different camps. Well, we have the best program director in the history of college football on the job. I think he can fix it. We know we have the talent to win at a high level. Now all we have to do is get everyone working in the same direction and coach them so that they can fulfill their promise. It's doable, and this is not a time to freak out or panic. It's a time to look forward to even better things.

jmo rtr
My guess is Saban realized at some point in the regular season that he had an inferior staff compared to what he was used to having. For me, it was the Arkansas game that I started questioning the competency (or maybe a better word is experience) of the DC. Up until that point Arkansas' offense put up 3 pts against Auburn, 17 against aTm, only to drop 31 pts on us. Then they proceed to put up 33 on Ole Miss (which had an atrocious defense), 31 against Vandy then watch this. They only managed to put up 17 against LSU, 6 against MSU and 0 against Missouri.

3 pts against Auburn
17 pts against aTm
31 pts against Bama
33 pts against Ole Miss
31 pts against Vandy
17 pts against LSU
6 pts against MSU
0 pts against Missouri

All the better defenses were able to keep them under 20 pts. We were torched.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

My guess is Saban realized at some point in the regular season that he had an inferior staff than what he was used to having. For me, it was the Arkansas game that I started questioning the competency (or maybe a better word is experience) of the DC. Up until that point Arkansas' offense put up 3 pts against Auburn, 17 against aTm, only to drop 31 pts on us. Then they proceed to put up 33 on Ole Miss (which had an atrocious defense), 31 against Vandy then watch this. They only managed to put up 17 against LSU, 6 against MSU and 0 against Missouri.

3 pts against Auburn
17 pts against aTm
31 pts against Bama
33 pts against Ole Miss
31 pts against Vandy
17 pts against LSU
6 pts against MSU
0 pts against Missouri

All the better defenses were able to keep them under 20 pts. We were torched.
Yet, we somehow shutout LSWho and MSU. It was a strange season on D and I never had a good feel for how they were going to play. I could clearly see we were not as good as our previous defenses and now looking back I don't how we put together those two straight shutouts.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yet, we somehow shutout LSWho and MSU. It was a strange season on D and I never had a good feel for how they were going to play. I could clearly see we were not as good as our previous defenses and now looking back I don't how we put together those two straight shutouts.
Too much inconsistency that never improved as the year went on. The potency of the offense took a lot attention away from the problems on the defense.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Maybe if he created a better work environment, people would not be so ready to jump and replacing those that do might become easier.
............... says the "Generation of Entitlement and Instant Gratification" representative.

If you don't wanna work don't apply for or accept the job! It's really that simple. It applies to the corporate world as well.

If a person is in the CFB coaching world these days there is absolutely no way to be unaware of the work ethic it takes to maintain the Bama Dynasty Saban has created. There's just way too many people from the CNS Coaching tree to NOT gather enough information to make a rational decision about it.

JEEZ!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

Original post update with edits, 1/18/19.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

LSU and MSU were 10 yard offenses that had no vertical threats. Its not that surprising that we shut them out. LSU also has another average at best qb, and MSU had a qb that hasnt been himself all year due to a bad injury last year.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

* Subtle brag, but we Tweeted out sort of the Enos deal before it made an "official" story. For those that missed the tweet: We did not expect to lose him, it hurts and it's a setback.

Jess, can you elaborate? What happened and why? This break-up sounds personal.

The Feldman/Suttles story about Enos lays it out but basically he was going to be OC here and decided some time around the playoffs that he was going to start looking elsewhere without telling Saban. I don't know that it's "personal," although Enos was/is a strong personality and didn't always move in lockstep with Saban, but that's not necessarily a flaw (so long as you recognize who the boss is). I would say he might have chafed against Saban's level of control and was given more freedom at Miami than he was going to have here.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Bama had trouble with coverages all year. Arkansas was the canary in the coal mine there. It seems that most of Oklahoma's passing yards were off guys not guarding the right players.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

My belief is that Saban is not only one of the smartest guys out there, but also the hardest working. That combination is always going to lead to success in any endeavor. Coaches work for him because they will learn every aspect of what makes a winner and see their own personal value rise when other programs are looking for coaches. But "work life balance" is probably not going to be offered under Coach Saban...ever...especially since he surely works as hard or harder then any of his assistants do!
How can anyone believe that all of these young ACs come here not knowing that? Sure, they want the prestige that comes from coaching under CNS, and the amazing learning experience. And let's not forget we pay these guys a lot of money. Along with the (hopefully) championship rings. All great resume enhancers.

All they have to do is give CNS a verbal agreement to stay at least 2 years. They all do. But, once things get tough, they suddenly realize it was harder than they ever imagined? Well, maybe, but tough garbanzo beans. It comes with the territory.

Ok, so if they want to spend more time with the family (understandable), and don't relish the alpha charlies (who does?), then they should have not come here. But, to come here, give your word, and then let word leak on "on the grapevine" (as Coach HairBawl put it) before the season is over................................

Yeah, go play putt-putt golf with the laid-back crowd. Maybe they will win, and maybe they won't. Life teaches us which one wins out, in the long run.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Too much inconsistency that never improved as the year went on. The potency of the offense took a lot attention away from the problems on the defense.
IIRC, Saban intimated this before this past season began. He knew he would have to outscore some opponents because of the defensive losses to the NFL and injuries. I do agree that top to bottom this may have been his least experienced and prepared coaching staff since he has been at Alabama.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

LSU and MSU were 10 yard offenses that had no vertical threats. Its not that surprising that we shut them out. LSU also has another average at best qb, and MSU had a qb that hasnt been himself all year due to a bad injury last year.
Back to back shutouts in the SEC is very rare. I understand their offenses set-up good for our D but shutting them both out is surprising, at least to me.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Back to back shutouts in the SEC is very rare. I understand their offenses set-up good for our D but shutting them both out is surprising, at least to me.
My point is that looking at our defense its not hard to see who exposed us and who didnt stand a chance. The most surprising defensive performance all year was holding Ole Miss to 7. Our defense was a slightly better version of a Big XII defense all things considered. Bring an accurate qb with tall receivers with an offense that is designed for the big play and you are probably going to have some success. Bring an offense designed to play for 10 yards and you are probably going to get wrecked.

Part of its talent, but I say a lot of it is coaching. Pruitt was able to adapt well during games, Kirby and Tosh werent. I think thats why I think its critical to get a legit DC and not just a recruiter or lifetime position coach that went up through the ranks

Last edited:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North

Once these young coaches with young wives and /or kids come to 'Bama to work for the GOAT, they get that bullet point on their resume, FOREVER.

Then they get here and realize that in order to work here, they must put more time and effort into it than they ever imagined. After a long season things like having fun slides in the football office, or hearing coaches talk about how "fun" it is to work for (insert school) likely starts to sound pretty good....besides, they will always be able to say they are part of the "Saban Tree" of coaching.

I worked for a high school coach like that...staff meetings before school and after practice, film on saturdays and practice on sunday afternoons...lifting 4 days a week in summer, and on and on. At the time I had a new baby and after 5 years enough was enough. Of course we did win a lot of games and that coach is now the HC at UAB...and would make a great DC IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.