Looking like the following for assistants...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the experience Tua got this year will have huge dividends next year. Especially the way the season ended. He got injured, then watched his backup put together two scoring drives to win the SECCG. He finished 2nd in the Heisman race, after being the front-runner all year. Then he struggled in the NCG and the limelight shined on the opposing QB. That's a pretty humbling experience. Should help build character, help him to understand that fame and glory are fleeting, and put some fire in his belly to finish strong next year.
I shared some similar thoughts in post 208. I think he'll grow alot between his first full time season and the second. He seems very motivated to learn and improve (remember the Elite 11 competition?) so I expect we'll see a better Tua next year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Because we wanted him to stay and he chose to leave. I am certain he knew we wanted him to stay as well. The guy may not be the best character, but he did a really good job for us, especially with Jalen.
If you want someone, and they know you want them, yet they choose to leave, there is nothing you can do about that. Personality differences? Ok, well, you can't change who you are. I just can't blame that on Alabama, or Enos really. It is what it is at that point and IMO, there is no whiffing. But when his character is revealed to be what it is, then you are better off without someone like that in your operation. IMO, completely, on that point. But because of that, I'm not sad to see him go even though he did seem to do wonders for Jalen and has the history he has. It's almost undeniable that he is a talented QB coach and at least very good offensive mind. But again.. I can't get over that kind of character being displayed. But that's just me.
I'm not saying this is the best way to handle it but I remember reading that Enos called Byrne that night to let him know he was leaving. Byrne didn't answer and Enos left a voicemail. That's why Enos was able to put out the statement that he would never leave without informing his employer. His informing Alabama was leaving a voicemail to Byrne at midnight. He should have called or contacted Saban directly but it does sound like he notified UA of his departure. Again, not how I would have done it and certainly not the best way..
No, it is not the best way to handle it. In fact, it's still a weasely way to handle it, IMO. It doesn't do anything to change my opinion of him, at least.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
Only a scumbag would leave the way Enos was reported to have left. Who does this in the real world? Not me. My Dad always told me to never burn a bridge because your may need to cross it again one day.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
IIRC, the reason Tua didn’t start his freshman year at all was ball security and holding it too long. He was prone to:
Sacks and subsequent fumbles
Forcing throws that turned into interceptions
The CG showed he hasn’t fully overcome those tendencies, but his year long performance (with a few exceptions) lulled some into thinking he had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree with your criticism of Tua in the championship game. I didn’t see a lot of forced throws, tight windows maybe. It’s popular to say Tua struggled or the offense didn’t perform , but statistically that isn’t true. Only in the red zone. All QBs make mistakes , he completed 65%of his passes , two TDs and of course 2 picks. One pick was shown to probably have been tipped at the LOS, and the other was mis communication with the receiver. Of the two, the second could be criticized, but I watched the GOAT throw two picks against KC Sunday night! Mr Ice-water! I really think the only thing we learned in the Championship game is practice what you say. that includes coaches. Preparation trumps almost everything, and the best prepared team usually wins. That was Clemson.

To add, it was asked on this board why Nick was so calm. I think it is evident that Nick knew the team wasn’t properly prepared, and it was to late to correct that in game. I think Coach Cochran has some accountability as the defense was tired and played very little in the first half. Redzone offense and not getting off the field on third down!

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
IIRC, the reason Tua didn’t start his freshman year at all was ball security and holding it too long. He was prone to:
The CG showed he hasn’t fully overcome those tendencies, but his year long performance (with a few exceptions) lulled some into thinking he had.

The reason he didn't start is because he had a guy in front of him that had only lost 1 game...:cool2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I disagree with your criticism of Tua in the championship game. I didn’t see a lot of forced throws, tight windows maybe. It’s popular to say Tua struggled or the offense didn’t perform , but statistically that isn’t true. Only in the red zone. All QBs make mistakes , he completed 65%of his passes , two TDs and of course 2 picks. One pick was shown to probably have been tipped at the LOS, and the other was mis communication with the receiver. Of the two, the second could be criticized, but I watched the GOAT throw two picks against KC Sunday night! Mr Ice-water! I really think the only thing we learned in the Championship game is practice what you say. that includes coaches. Preparation trumps almost everything, and the best prepared team usually wins. That was Clemson.

To add, it was asked on this board why Nick was so calm. I think it is evident that Nick knew the team wasn’t properly prepared, and it was to late to correct that in game. I think Coach Cochran has some accountability as the defense was tired and played very little in the first half. Redzone offense and not getting off the field on third down!
But you also saw the GOAT put the game plan above his talent and bring KC to their knees by the dink and dunking them to death while you also saw Tua miss wide open checkdowns because he was trying for too much.

There is no way around it Brady with 1 TD and 2 Ints was far more of a threat to KC than Tua with 2 TDs and 2 Ints was against Clemson.

But to be fair to Tua locksley and the offensive staff didn’t do him any favors with the play calling. But then again Locks and co are nowhere near the offensive genius as Brady and McDaniels.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
agree ... QB get lot of blame when things dont go well. I didnt see receivers getting open or not dropping balls. The offensive game plan was plain offensive.
initially Tua was looking for home run but after the INTs .. he was not and there were no options.

I also agree with your comment about Cochran .. why does he get a waiver. This team was plain soft other than few players

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not sure it is fair to say Tua did a bad job, but I think it would be fair to say Tua was poorly prepared. Whose fault that is, is up to debate.

What isn't up for debate in my opinion is the fact that Clemson's quarterback played better in the championship game. I like Tua, I thought he should have won the Heisman, I've said all season he should be the starter, but he has areas he needs to improve on and part of that is he shouldn't always rely on himself to win the game (and the offensive gameplan shouldn't rely on that either, Alabama has everything it takes to have a dominant running game, and effective short passing game). It can be a great thing when the QB takes the game into his hands, but it can also be a liability. What Trevor Lawrence did so well, that Tua didn't do, was avoid making throws that could cost his team the game.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

I thought Tua did very well his freshmen year, although not a starter. Only 2 interceptions in 77 attempts.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
agree ... QB get lot of blame when things dont go well. I didnt see receivers getting open or not dropping balls. The offensive game plan was plain offensive.
initially Tua was looking for home run but after the INTs .. he was not and there were no options.

I also agree with your comment about Cochran .. why does he get a waiver. This team was plain soft other than few players
Then go back and watch some our possessions again. On almost every pass play there was a running back open in the flat or a shallow route by a WR uncovered. We didn't need a magic gameplan but instead just take what the defense was giving us. Clemson took away the deep throws and Tua never really adjusted to making them pay by dumping it off. Red zone included. Story of the game..

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Dreading watching again.. but will
All i remember is receiver being blanketed and them dropping balls
Then go back and watch some our possessions again. On almost every pass play there was a running back open in the flat or a shallow route by a WR uncovered. We didn't need a magic gameplan but instead just take what the defense was giving us. Clemson took away the deep throws and Tua never really adjusted to making them pay by dumping it off. Red zone included. Story of the game..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
On almost every pass play there was a running back open in the flat or a shallow route by a WR uncovered.
Sometimes when we discuss the idea of controlling time of possession, people automatically think running game.

That doesn't have to be it though. One thing that Daboll stripped from the playbook, that never sat right with me, was removing a lot of easy, short passes that allowed Alabama to effectively move the ball and control time of possession. Lockley never really put all of those back and I think Alabama was worse for it.

It's nice to take downfield shots and all, but sometimes you have to take the low hanging fruit. As a true freshman, Hurts had a 62.8 completion percentage and 2,780 yards passing. Tua as a true freshman had a 63.6 completion percentage. We all know how more developed Tua was as a passer, so how could it be so close? Because they had Hurts throwing a lot of high percentage passes, taking a lot of low hanging fruit.

Now, I get it. You want the ability to have a downfield passing game, but here's the thing. If you set up a lot of second and shorts, by running effectively on first down, or short passes on first down, you have plenty of great chances to take shots downfield to. It's win/win. You don't get double the points by scoring on three plays though, it doesn't count extra, the goal is to move the ball down the field, and short, high percentage passes are a good way to do that.

So, while I hope Alabama establishes a smashmouth running game, this is now kind of the opposite of the Hurts situation. I hope Alabama makes Tua throw more short passes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not sure it is fair to say Tua did a bad job, but I think it would be fair to say Tua was poorly prepared. Whose fault that is, is up to debate.

What isn't up for debate in my opinion is the fact that Clemson's quarterback played better in the championship game. I like Tua, I thought he should have won the Heisman, I've said all season he should be the starter, but he has areas he needs to improve on and part of that is he shouldn't always rely on himself to win the game (and the offensive gameplan shouldn't rely on that either, Alabama has everything it takes to have a dominant running game, and effective short passing game). It can be a great thing when the QB takes the game into his hands, but it can also be a liability. What Trevor Lawrence did so well, that Tua didn't do, was avoid making throws that could cost his team the game.
It's a shame Tua struggled in this game and it could have been an epic shootout if Tua plays one of his best games (normal games) and TL played the game he played.

No doubt that Clemson clearly beat us, but a big part of that beating was also that TL had a Steven Garcia type game against us. Between some of his throws and the catches Ross made the cards were stacked even if Tua didn't struggle.

pop11011

Scout Team
Jul 6, 2007
TL was missing a little high at the first of the game showing nerves. If we had executed better and cashed in early, and not given up the pick 6, I believe that pressure would have gone up on the freshman and those great throws later would have never happened.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
TL was missing a little high at the first of the game showing nerves. If we had executed better and cashed in early, and not given up the pick 6, I believe that pressure would have gone up on the freshman and those great throws later would have never happened.
Was going to say it's easier to play like TL did when your defense is winning the battle against the opposing offense. Whether it was their scheme or Alabama's self-inflicted wounds, Clemson defense controlled the Alabama offense. TL had a major luxury Tua did not have because it was evident the Alabama defense wasn't going to stop the Clemson offense.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's a shame Tua struggled in this game and it could have been an epic shootout if Tua plays one of his best games (normal games) and TL played the game he played.

No doubt that Clemson clearly beat us, but a big part of that beating was also that TL had a Steven Garcia type game against us. Between some of his throws and the catches Ross made the cards were stacked even if Tua didn't struggle.
People can (rightfully) hype up TL as much as they want but Ross was the biggest star in that game not Lawrence.

I know we got Waddle and have at on of talent at WR but we missed by not getting Ross. That kid is an absolute star.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Was going to say it's easier to play like TL did when your defense is winning the battle against the opposing offense. Whether it was their scheme or Alabama's self-inflicted wounds, Clemson defense controlled the Alabama offense. TL had a major luxury Tua did not have because it was evident the Alabama defense wasn't going to stop the Clemson offense.
And perhaps this explains some of Tua's uncharacteristic play in the NC game knowing we would have to score alot of points on a great defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.