Looking like the following for assistants...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
It is confusing. Does CNS see Golding as a rising star as a DC, but just needs more experience? Did he decide Tosh just "didn't have it?" Or, when Golding was calling the defense, did CNS decide that our defense "didn't have it" and gave Golding a pass?

It's just a confusing situation.
I wonder if part of the issue was the set up of how the D was called. If Pete was making calls based on what he saw up in the box, he gave them to Tosh who signaled them in. The D them looked to Tosh for pre-snap changes who in turn had to wait on Pete to relay down to Tosh. Finally Tosh signaled them in. The delay likely slowed things down 2-3 seconds or more which could explain why Wilson looked lost at times.

Saban could easily know Pete made the right checks but, getting them in was the issue. He couldn’t just flip Pete to the sidelines for fear of losing Tosh mentally coaching and recruiting. I have not been high on Pete’s coaching of the ILB but, I wonder if the play calling changes mid-stream was too big of a change and really unfair to Pete. If he remains DC/play caller I expect things will slow down in his head and we’ll see better play at ILB.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It is confusing. Does CNS see Golding as a rising star as a DC, but just needs more experience? Did he decide Tosh just "didn't have it?" Or, when Golding was calling the defense, did CNS decide that our defense "didn't have it" and gave Golding a pass?

It's just a confusing situation.
I think much of it was CNS knew we didn’t have a rockstar defense to begin the season once we lost the best player on the defense before the season, and Tosh was lost as Applewhite in adjusting. I think CNS loves Golding and is just overall more comfortable with his in game adjustments than Tosh.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Holman Wiggins to coach wide receivers?

So this means Banks is the only offensive coach returning, and we don't know what Butch is going to do other than pull a check from K'ville.

rtr

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We've had really bad injury luck the past 2 years. Hopefully we get a reprieve from the injury bug this year..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Holman Wiggins to coach wide receivers?

So this means Banks is the only offensive coach returning, and we don't know what Butch is going to do other than pull a check from K'ville.

rtr
butch is likely to be off the field position. the Offensive staff is pretty much set. Sark Co-OC/QB, Huff to RB, Wiggins to WR, Flood OL. Banks might do TE and ST together.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
butch is likely to be off the field position. the Offensive staff is pretty much set. Sark Co-OC/QB, Huff to RB, Wiggins to WR, Flood OL. Banks might do TE and ST together.
Not saying your wrong but I find it curious that Jones would turn down a position with Locks to stay at Bama off the field. There has to be something else going on there. I would also assume he had other options as well.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just a question, and if this has been dealt with in depth earlier my sincere apologies..but...what are Floods chops as an OL coach ? I`ve found myself wondering about his rep in coaching circles. Allow me to hasten to add, if he`s good enough for CNS, he`s good enough for little ole` me !

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not saying your wrong but I find it curious that Jones would turn down a position with Locks to stay at Bama off the field. There has to be something else going on there. I would also assume he had other options as well.
1. Tennessee is still paying him... He would be wise to wait. See this quote:
According to the terms of Jones' contract, the $8.2 million owed by the university will be paid in monthly installments until Feb. 28, 2021. However, that figure will be reduced by whatever salary Jones makes at his next job.
2. It would make sense to consider working under Saban and learn some things. He's a good coach, but he wasn't great at developing players....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I agree, however keep in mind he is still getting paid by Tennessee. I’m sure that’s a big factor.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I'm hoping that they adjust their winter and summer workout program.
I think the question has been raised before whether some of the workouts are putting too much strain on players knees and other loints that is making them more susceptible to injury.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Part of the reason I think we've got to start playing more depth. Admittedly, Saban has won a lot by using PT as a carrot for buying in fully into what he's selling to the players but I think leaving guys on the bench who have athletic ability because they aren't all-in yet might not be sustainable in a 15-game season. Maybe they'll get all-in when they've been "blooded" some. I dunno but it is hurting us.
CNS plays those who are deserving. How deserving is quantitative to a large degree based on not only physical ability but mental toughness, knowing your role and the ability to execute task and responsibility. That's how we've been able to maintain depth over the years. Injury in multiples to position groups over the last 3-4 years has really burdened the depth we're so used to enjoying, not to mention loss to the NFL with early departures.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think the question has been raised before whether some of the workouts are putting too much strain on players knees and other loints that is making them more susceptible to injury.
I have to think that Cochran meets with the training staff about the workouts to see if everything works to help the athletes. I just can't imagine a situation where he (Cochran) just goes all rogue with the weight/conditioning work.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CNS plays those who are deserving. How deserving is quantitative to a large degree based on not only physical ability but mental toughness, knowing your role and the ability to execute task and responsibility. That's how we've been able to maintain depth over the years. Injury in multiples to position groups over the last 3-4 years has really burdened the depth we're so used to enjoying, not to mention loss to the NFL with early departures.
Posted the below in Jess's postgame analysis thread:

Here are the guys that burned their redshirt in 2018:

Eyabi Anoma, 12 games
Josh Jobe, 14 games
Ale Kaho, 15 games
Jaylen Moody, 14 games

If those guys are going to play in over 80% of the games for special teams, put them out there to get in game reps.

Guys that could have at least been a body on the field to give others a break:

Christian Barmore, 0 games
Cameron Latu, 2 games
Jarez Parks, 0 games
Stephon Wynn, 0 games

Again, I'm not saying play these guys when the game is on the line, but they can't at least get some game reps to gain experience while giving someone else a breather?
Some guys learn the mental aspect of the position from game reps, but Saban is reluctant to give them those reps because they aren't mentally ready. With the new redshirt rule, he needs to be more open to it if nothing else to give guys some game experience moving forward

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I have to think that Cochran meets with the training staff about the workouts to see if everything works to help the athletes. I just can't imagine a situation where he (Cochran) just goes all rogue with the weight/conditioning work.
Not saying anything about Cochran going rogue just that we seem to have had more injuries over the last couple of years. We could just assume that it is merely bad luck and maybe that is the case.I just think it would be wise to review those workouts to see if maybe some are putting too much stress on the players' joints.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.