Looking like the following for assistants...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well either way, we have a solid hire in both of these guys....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Well, whether it`s Davis, Baker or Coach Kool stays ( apparently not likely ). he`ll have lots of solid, quality talent ( although young in some cases ) with which to work. As far as D line coaching chops are concerned, doesn`t look like we`ll go wrong with any of the three.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Well, whether it`s Davis, Baker or Coach Kool stays ( apparently not likely ). he`ll have lots of solid, quality talent ( although young in some cases ) with which to work. As far as D line coaching chops are concerned, doesn`t look like we`ll go wrong with any of the three.
Baker and Davis are upgrade over Kool at this point lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2ndand26

Oct 4, 2018
Huntsville, AL

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Another very experienced coach. Sounds to me a little like CNS is gearing up for his final stretch run.

rtr

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
For most of Saban's tenure I thought our injury rate was abnormally low. We'd lose maybe 1 or 2 contributor/starter a year on average. There'd be some short-term injuries but usually only 1 maybe 2 major season-enders. That is not bad compared to the field.

We've just had bad luck mostly at the same position groups (ILB and OLB)...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For most of Saban's tenure I thought our injury rate was abnormally low. We'd lose maybe 1 or 2 contributor/starter a year on average. There'd be some short-term injuries but usually only 1 maybe 2 major season-enders. That is not bad compared to the field.

We've just had bad luck mostly at the same position groups (ILB and OLB)...
And DB. This goes back to his first year, actually, when Rolando McClain is coming on and breaks his wrist against Auburn.

I just seems like we are hit harder in the back 7/8 on defense than any other position grouping.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Hasn't Adrian Hubbard claimed for a few years that his injuries were caused by workouts or something while at Alabama. (not saying he is credible)

Anyway, I'm far from qualified but its seems to me, from the outside, that the science around injuries and sports is still somewhat new and evolving pretty quickly. If that's the case its possible there are changes that are needed or possibly changes were made that didn't work out. Or it could be just bad luck.

Regardless, I'm sure CNS is looking into it after having 2 years of these injuries. He doesn't seem like someone to ignore anything.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Saban certainly doesn't always get what he wants. Recently, he wanted a certain defrocked HC on staff and it was nixed by both the league and our own compliance department...
The weird thing to consider though is that if he did get what he wanted in this case, he might have had a more focused coaching on offense and more effectiveness against Clemson. So one of those, he doesn't always get what he wants, but may be he should situations.

Having said that, it would probably have made a bigger difference if he just got what he wanted in terms of having Justin Ross come to Alabama instead, heh.

I'm not sure about the rest of the d-line, but I thought QW was very effective
I'm not a defensive expert, but really I thought the d-line did what was expected of them under Coach Kool. The defensive line got sacks (Buggs got 9.5 and Q got 8), Q developed into a top draft pick, which is the sort of thing Kool is known for aiding. Kool wasn't a great recruiter, that was known before the hire.

The explanations I've seen on the board have to do with recruiting, which was known, and a difference in technique. Now, I'm curious about that because superficially things seemed alright, but I guess there's something about what Kool was doing that Saban doesn't like, and Saban knows defense so I'll have to defer to him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Hasn't Adrian Hubbard claimed for a few years that his injuries were caused by workouts or something while at Alabama. (not saying he is credible)

Anyway, I'm far from qualified but its seems to me, from the outside, that the science around injuries and sports is still somewhat new and evolving pretty quickly. If that's the case its possible there are changes that are needed or possibly changes were made that didn't work out. Or it could be just bad luck.

Regardless, I'm sure CNS is looking into it after having 2 years of these injuries. He doesn't seem like someone to ignore anything.
Think the biggest thing to be learned from the past few years is the best ability is availability. There comes a point - rather quickly in our S&C program - of diminishing margin of returns for all athletes in terms of adding size in the weight room. If someone can bench press 350 lbs that's plenty strong enough to play any position in college. There's really no added benefit of being able to bench press 500 lbs. Once you get around 350 lbs on the press everything else that happens on the field is about technique and playing fast. I'm not saying Bama players are getting hurt on the bench press it's just an example. Previous coaches (Lane K) have asked coach Saban to tone down the training and practice output at certain times during the season. So there's a precedent that we sometimes overwork our players. Not saying the only answer is rest but I'm sure the S&C staff re-evaluate and make some tweaks each year. Saw that the new RB coach has a lot of different types of drills that really helped Saquon Barkley with his explosiveness and finishing long runs. Will be curious to see how his training methods help Najee..

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Think the biggest thing to be learned from the past few years is the best ability is availability. There comes a point - rather quickly in our S&C program - of diminishing margin of returns for all athletes in terms of adding size in the weight room. If someone can bench press 350 lbs that's plenty strong enough to play any position in college. There's really no added benefit of being able to bench press 500 lbs. Once you get around 350 lbs on the press everything else that happens on the field is about technique and playing fast. I'm not saying Bama players are getting hurt on the bench press it's just an example. Previous coaches (Lane K) have asked coach Saban to tone down the training and practice output at certain times during the season. So there's a precedent that we sometimes overwork our players. Not saying the only answer is rest but I'm sure the S&C staff re-evaluate and make some tweaks each year. Saw that the new RB coach has a lot of different types of drills that really helped Saquon Barkley with his explosiveness and finishing long runs. Will be curious to see how his training methods help Najee..
There really is no right answer to training. I'm sure after every season they evaluate all sorts of stuff to see if what they did worked. To me Alabama is just a tough place to play because we get everybody's A game every week. Apposing teams have this attitude of throwing the kitchen sink at us because we are Darth Vader. Head shots directly to the knees are common against us and everybody just pretends like that's ok because we are Bama. For the most part I feel like the Auburns, the LSU's, the Clemsons play us streight up most of the time (with some occasional exceptions with Auburn's proclivity to cut blocking) But the mid to lower tier teams to me take a big toll on our team with them coming at us like their Mama's dignity has been insulted. I blame the ref's as well because they just ignore it when we are the victim.

Bigger stronger players do get hurt less, but too big and too string means slow. So you want to be balanced for sure, but where does that balance need to be? Add to that that every player is different. Overall I felt like we've had good injury luck during the Saban Era but the last two seasons have been brutal, especially at Linebacker. I'm amazed we made it to the title both seasons and actually won one of them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.