Looking like the following for assistants...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
... IMO, one loss, in an otherwise stellar season, does not make a championship caliber coaching staff all of a sudden a NON-championship caliber coaching staff :smile:
We won the SEC championship, so they were clearly championship caliber. A 28 point beat down definitely leaves a bad taste in your mouth, though.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Assistant coaching recruiting / hires = the new Jan/Feb recruiting period. Who knew? Maybe the early signing period allows some of this to happen earlier than it might otherwise.

While we have a LOT of movement, seems like a lot more across the country this year than usual for non-HC positions.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
He took Pruitt’s defense from FSU and ran it into the ground. His defenses were wildly mediocre at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he is the DC, best case scenario is that he has a turnaround similar to Kevin Steele, Kevin Steele, the same guy whose defense gave up 70 in the Orange Bowl.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Alma mater is Auburn.
Where did Pat Dye graduate from?
Folks put too much emphasis on this with coaches IMO; especially those that aren’t “young” (20s-30s).
If they’re into becoming the best coach they can be, they’ll go where they can do that, alma mater notwithstanding.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Based on my second-hand experience, most of which is links from TideFans, all random idiots are on Twitter. There are some others on Twitter, too. But not a lot, and those poor folks must feel like prunes in a sea of rotting plums.

My solution is this: No Twitter. No Facebook. No Instragram. No Pinterest. No nothing anything like them. Not only do I not have an account on any of them, I never have. Only things close to social media I've ever been a part of are TideFans (time exceedingly well spent), and LinkedIn (my employer made me, and I'm not there more than a minute or two a month).

Also don't listen to talk radio of any kind, let alone sports talk radio, except at the top and bottom of the hour. Some good interviews then. But if they're, "taking calls," I'm on Sirius Classic Rock.

Life is short, and so much more enjoyable when not hearing the random musings of Charles From Reeltown and his buddies.
26 is getting very repetitive. Deep Tracks requires a channel change (as does classic vinyl).
26 just plays the same (great) songs by the same artists over and over and over and over... I finally cancelled my subscription, I’ll just play my cd’s.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
JP was only in Tallahassee a season, though. Not like he was there six years and built the defense into a monster to have Kelly immediately destroy it.

True. Pruitt took a good defense and made it better. FSU’s defense just declined each year after when Kelly was in charge. On the positive side he is supposed to be a good recruiter.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Folks put too much emphasis on this with coaches IMO; especially those that aren’t “young” (20s-30s).
If they’re into becoming the best coach they can be, they’ll go where they can do that, alma mater notwithstanding.

I don’t think it’s the 20’s and 30’s crowd putting so much emphasis on Alma matter I see a lot of posters in their 50’s and 60’s who still believe Dabo is coming to Bama because “moma called”. Most of the 20-30 year old fans don’t feel too concerned about where someone graduated mostly because the two most successful coaches in their lives didn’t play a down at Alabama. I think you see mostly folks alive at some point off CPB’s reign feel strongly about Alma matter hires.

Last edited:

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Pat Dye graduated from the University of Georgia (Do I win a prize?)

ROLL TIDE!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
True. Pruitt took a good defense and made it better. FSU’s defense just declined each year after when Kelly was in charge. On the positive side he is supposed to be a good recruiter.
I wanted to look the stats up to see what was going on. In 2011 FSU was 6th in total defense, in 2012 they were 4th, in 2013 when Pruitt arrived they finished 4th. We know Pruitt is good, but credit has to be given to Mark Stoops.

In 2009, before Mark Stoops arrived, Florida St. was 108th in total defense! 108! His first year he got them to 43, then 6th. The thing to pay attention to though is that by the time Charles Kelly arrives, he's now a couple years removed from what Mark Stoops did for that defense, and he didn't hit the ground running (didn't they lose some key guys though?). First year on the job, they tumble to 64th. He did right the ship though, they were 18th, 20th, and 20th. Solid if not spectacular and does demonstrate that he knew how to run a college defense.

This year (without him of course), Florida St. fell to 70th... he's no Mark Stoops, but he seems plenty competent.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) Everything that Jimbo buillt at FSU crumbled because of a painful divorce and FSU not playing ball with him like they should. More or less he was far less motivated to coach there from 2015-17. You can blame assistant coaches all you want but when the leader isn’t focused the entire team is in disarray.

2) Pruitt wasn’t great at FSU and UGA, but he showed he was very competent in how to defend the modern offenses. Both jobs are very good for real experience. So he earned every dollar of that 1.3 million dollar check. CNS was also far more familiar with him and his coaching style. It’s why I don’t see Alabama bidding with that kinda money for anyone less than venerables, Chavis, or Arranda’s caliber of defensive coaching.

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...My solution is this: No Twitter. No Facebook. No Instragram. No Pinterest. No nothing anything like them. Not only do I not have an account on any of them, I never have. Only things close to social media I've ever been a part of are TideFans (time exceedingly well spent), and LinkedIn (my employer made me, and I'm not there more than a minute or two a month)...
How do you keep those darn kids off your lawn, though?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The funniest thing about this is that if you think whoever CNS hires is “meh” or bad you are essentially saying he doesn’t know what a good defensive coach looks like. I think most would agree that CNS knows a thing or two about defense so if a candidate for the DC passes his vetting I’ll be pretty ok with it.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
1) Everything that Jimbo buillt at FSU crumbled because of a painful divorce and FSU not playing ball with him like they should. More or less he was far less motivated to coach there from 2015-17. You can blame assistant coaches all you want but when the leader isn’t focused the entire team is in disarray.

2) Pruitt wasn’t great at FSU and UGA, but he showed he was very competent in how to defend the modern offenses. Both jobs are very good for real experience. So he earned every dollar of that 1.3 million dollar check. CNS was also far more familiar with him and his coaching style. It’s why I don’t see Alabama bidding with that kinda money for anyone less than venerables, Chavis, or Arranda’s caliber of defensive coaching.
Priutt led FSU to the #2 ranked defense in 2013 that shut down AU in the 2nd half to win the BCSNCG and improving UGA's defense from 45th to 7th in 2 seasons is pretty darn good. Priutt was a super star DC from the moment he became one.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I don’t think it’s the 20’s and 30’s crowd putting so much emphasis on Alma matter I see a lot of posters in their 50’s and 60’s who still believe Dabo is coming to Bama because “moma called”. Most of the 20-30 year old fans don’t feel too concerned about where someone graduated mostly because the two most successful coaches in their lives didn’t play a down at Alabama. I think you see mostly folks alive at some point off CPB’s reign feel strongly about Alma matter hires.
I meant 20-30 year old coaches, not fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Priutt led FSU to the #2 ranked defense in 2013 that shut down AU in the 2nd half to win the BCSNCG and improving UGA's defense from 45th to 7th in 2 seasons is pretty darn good. Priutt was a super star DC from the moment he became one.
He’s definitely been a superstar as a DC when he’s had the chance. He walked into a hot mess at UGA during Richt’s final year, and seemed to be the only coach really engaged in trying to hold things together.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.