Looking like the following for assistants...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The funniest thing about this is that if you think whoever CNS hires is “meh” or bad you are essentially saying he doesn’t know what a good defensive coach looks like. I think most would agree that CNS knows a thing or two about defense so if a candidate for the DC passes his vetting I’ll be pretty ok with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do the defensive guys (Kool, Greg Brown) that have only last a year say then?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
What do the defensive guys (Kool, Greg Brown) that have only last a year say then?

Saban, like anyone else, is not infallible. I used to have those moments where I was like “How did they hire that idiot?” or “What were they thinking bringing this guy in??” until I was at the point in my career where I was the one doing the hiring. You can do all the vetting, research, checking of references all you want, but you can’t always tell how someone will fit or if they will/can do what they say they will/can. There are so many questions you can’t ask (legally) in an interview. People who haven’t done it don’t realize that. Granted, UA and CNS’ resources for checking that kind of thing is much more than mine, but when dealing people, you just never know. I’ve hit home run hires when I felt kinda unsure about someone and struck out when I was almost sure somebody was a lock to be great. Those are outliers though. I’ve been right more than I’ve been wrong, but like I said - it’s impossible to be infallible when dealing with people.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
What's CNS to do? Rent Dabo's staff?

The staff we're seeing come together looks to be a mixture of stable "Not a Stepping Stone" coaches and some experienced "Up-and-Comers" from where I'm sitting.

I'm Good With It.
I like the Sunseri hire, I’ll say that. The others, like I said, I have mixed feelings. As great as Saban is, he has misfired on some coaching hires in recent years. I sincerely hope that the staff that is coming together works out and maybe provide some badly-needed continuity.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That they were a bad fit?

Evaluation of talent is only part of it. Saban darn sure knows how to evaluate talent, but that's always only going to be part of the equation. No one is prescient, and no one is omnipotent. Saban is just better at these things than any of us will ever be.

It's like any relationship, just because someone seems like a good match doesn't mean you'll hit it off on a date. And just because you hit it off on a date doesn't make you'll have a good relationship. And just because you had a good relationship doesn't mean you'll have a lasting marriage.

Life is complicated, what Saban does better than anyone else is take all these complications and give us relative consistency. Who else could have his staff raided year after year, time after time and keep up his success? He's obviously nailed most his hires, heck that's why he gets raided.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We heard from the insiders that Lupoi was a stretch hire that Saban hoped would work out but it obviously did not. We struggled to get aligned right. Players own that bust if it is occasional but staff becomes the blame when it is a reoccurring problem. At the end of the season when the quality of opposing offenses increased dramatically, the defense just got unmercifully torched for large stretches of the final three games. I don't think Lupoi is solely at fault but he is the head guy for that unit so it starts there. You give up 28, 34, and 44 in back-to-back-to-back games then your job is probably not safe under Saban.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Saban, like anyone else, is not infallible. I used to have those moments where I was like “How did they hire that idiot?” or “What were they thinking bringing this guy in??” until I was at the point in my career where I was the one doing the hiring. You can do all the vetting, research, checking of references all you want, but you can’t always tell how someone will fit or if they will/can do what they say they will/can. There are so many questions you can’t ask (legally) in an interview. People who haven’t done it don’t realize that. Granted, UA and CNS’ resources for checking that kind of thing is much more than mine, but when dealing people, you just never know. I’ve hit home run hires when I felt kinda unsure about someone and struck out when I was almost sure somebody was a lock to be great. Those are outliers though. I’ve been right more than I’ve been wrong, but like I said - it’s impossible to be infallible when dealing with people.
You mean he doesn't put his pants on ONE LEG at a time? I do agree with the POST. Some people talk a good game, but their talking game is better than their PRODUCTION game. I've hired or recommended to the Board teachers in the past who I thought would be GREAT for students and staff cohesion, but .... And a few times I hired or recommended hiring someone because, NO ONE ELSE was available. And I also thought, letting substitute teachers run a class for a semester or year while looking for a better more COMPETENT person.

No human being is PERFECT. Not Coach Bryant or Coach Saban, but they are as good as it gets. Why would anyone in their RIGHT mind hire Gene Stallings? Look at his record at A & M and in the NFL. However, he was just a GREAT man compared to others. The kind of guy you'd want as a father.

So, sometimes, you are STUCK with what's left over (YEP! Leftovers) after all the other hires in the NCAA. I'm sure his black book of Assistants' phone numbers is full and thick, but even he can ONLY do so much.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Of course. That’s my point, though. Some times things just don’t work out.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My thought as well. I’m thinking he will be co-dc with Golding and coach DB’s. What exactly that would mean for Scott?
I'm little confused. Why does this affect Karl scott? Thought Charles Kelly. If it works out the way it should be, we would have the 10th coach on defense. The DC would probably focus more on game planning and help out with all units...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'm little confused. Why does this affect Karl scott? Thought Charles Kelly. If it works out the way it should be, we would have the 10th coach on defense. The DC would probably focus more on game planning and help out with all units...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Could Kelly solely have DC responsibility? Possibly, but normally even the DC has position coaching responsibilities as well. Most of Kelly’s history has been with DB’s.

At this point only Saban knows. As the article states, what Kelly’s role will be is still undefined. However he did recently turn down the DC position at Maryland.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We running out of seats and don't seem done hiring. My guess is that some more guys are going to leave but a professional agreement was reached to not do it until after NSD so they can help finish this signing class.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.