Looking like the following for assistants...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Let’s be the first to have a $3million/yr coordinator and drop the bank on Dave Aranda. We have the resources.
I dig what you mean but really the head coach makes all the difference. There is a reason we have been killing it for the past 11 years and it has zero to do with coordinators.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Let’s be the first to have a $3million/yr coordinator and drop the bank on Dave Aranda. We have the resources.
Sorry,, dman, have to disagree here.

If I thought that paying Dave Aranda $3M would automaticslly lead to better performance, I'd be more on board. But beyond what's necessary to be in the hunt for top talent, money doesn't guarantee anything.

At one extreme, we could pay $250K a year and still fill staff positions due to Saban's stature. Don't think we'd want those guys, but we could put butts in seats.

So you do have to pay up for talent, and I have no problem with that.

At the same time, simply paying more money doesn't necessarily mean the recipient will deliver value. Look no further than the loveliest village to see the poster child for that.

I really don't think money is an object. If Saban wants Aranda or anybody else for a staff position, he may or may not get him. But if we miss, it won't be because Saban wanted him, and Byrne couldn't find the cash.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
You mean like the precedent we set when we went out and got Nick Saban for 8 yrs guaranteed at $32million? Why not? It will happen eventually anyway. I know we won’t do it, but next to Venables at Clemson he’s the best out there.
Apples to oranges. That's $1m less/year than a HC with a national championship, so yeah.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'm liking these new hires. CNS knows what he's doing. I get the feeling most will stay more than a year or two. With Huff, we should see improvement in the run game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Flood + Huff is a big time upgrade to our run game. Huff has recruiting chops and Flood is regarded as a player favorite. I do not think the recruiting hit is a pronounced as you'd expect for valuing teaching in the hiring decisions.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Assistant coaching recruiting / hires = the new Jan/Feb recruiting period. Who knew? Maybe the early signing period allows some of this to happen earlier than it might otherwise.

While we have a LOT of movement, seems like a lot more across the country this year than usual for non-HC positions.
All we need now is an AC national signing day including videos of men in their 30's and 40's sitting at a table with three hats in front of them. Who will he choose?????

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Have to admit I can’t stand the “co” label that we seem to want to give to the coordinators. Seems like a coordinator is a singular job needing one person and one vision..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Have to admit I can’t stand the “co” label that we seem to want to give to the coordinators. Seems like a coordinator is a singular job needing one person and one vision..
It's more about the money. They know who the real OC is, but the salary is justified with the "co-OC" label.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
With some of the offensive hires, It seems our ability to not score on the goal line against Clemson has was a sore spot for Coach. What seemed like mass defection to detractors is now looking more like an overhaul and strategy shift! I’m sure Nick wanted to retain some of the coaches, but it’s apparent some needed to leave !

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It's more about the money. They know who the real OC is, but the salary is justified with the "co-OC" label.

Pretty much the same as the “Assistant Head Coach” label. Doesn’t necessarily mean you’re “the guy” behind the head guy. It’s mostly a title to justify more money.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Flood + Huff is a big time upgrade to our run game. Huff has recruiting chops and Flood is regarded as a player favorite. I do not think the recruiting hit is a pronounced as you'd expect for valuing teaching in the hiring decisions.
I just looked at Huff's bio. He is from Denton, MD played college ball at Hampton University, coached at Maryland and spent 4 years at Penn State. It looks like CNS wanted to keep the MD/NJ/DC/PA recruiting region with an ace recruiter since Locksley had great success in signing players from those states. Looks like a really good hire.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

But does Saban really have to justify how much he wants to pay a coach by a title like that? Especially when it's probably a few $100K. We're not talking about millions of dollars.

Plus, based on a lot of reputable reports the "co" coordinators last year were way more involved than a position coach would have been. So I do think the co label allows for there to be more of a grey area in terms of responsibility. I just don't like it..

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
But does Saban really have to justify how much he wants to pay a coach by a title like that? Especially when it's probably a few $100K. We're not talking about millions of dollars.

Plus, based on a lot of reputable reports the "co" coordinators last year were way more involved than a position coach would have been. So I do think the co label allows for there to be more of a grey area in terms of responsibility. I just don't like it..
Say a WR coach knows a thing or 2 about defeating defenses that are built upon speed instead of size. Do you tell the WR coach to stick to his position or let him in on game planning against these types of defenses? Saban allowing input from so many different coaches allows our team to attack a fast defense one week and a large defense the next.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.