Looking like the following for assistants...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Say a WR coach knows a thing or 2 about defeating defenses that are built upon speed instead of size. Do you tell the WR coach to stick to his position or let him in on game planning against these types of defenses? Saban allowing input from so many different coaches allows our team to attack a fast defense one week and a large defense the next.
That’s perfectly fine. But that coach can give his input without a co label wouldn’t you agree? I mean there’s always been input from all coaches on staff but the co label is a relatively new thing ..

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
With some of the offensive hires, It seems our ability to not score on the goal line against Clemson has was a sore spot for Coach. What seemed like mass defection to detractors is now looking more like an overhaul and strategy shift! I’m sure Nick wanted to retain some of the coaches, but it’s apparent some needed to leave !
Yep. I think the power run game will be worked on a bit.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I
That’s perfectly fine. But that coach can give his input without a co label wouldn’t you agree? I mean there’s always been input from all coaches on staff but the co label is a relatively new thing ..
Kiffin and Sarkisian were Co Offensive Coordinators dating back to 2005 at USC, and Brett Venables and Mike Stoops were Co Defensive Coordinators back as far as 1999.
Kevin Steele and Kirby were basically Co Defensive Coordinators in 2008, except Steele was officially titled Defensive Head Coach and Kirby was Defensive Coordinator.
This is definitely not a new thing, and there’s really no reason to be against it.

Clemson’s Co Offensive Coordinators sure didn’t struggle kicking our butt this year...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I

Kiffin and Sarkisian were Co Offensive Coordinators dating back to 2005 at USC, and Brett Venables and Mike Stoops were Co Defensive Coordinators back as far as 1999.
Kevin Steele and Kirby were basically Co Defensive Coordinators in 2008, except Steele was officially titled Defensive Head Coach and Kirby was Defensive Coordinator.
This is definitely not a new thing, and there’s really no reason to be against it.

Clemson’s Co Offensive Coordinators sure didn’t struggle kicking our butt this year...
I was really referring to Alabama and under Saban. It is a relatively new thing in that regard..

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So as we stand....Locksley, Gattis, Keys, Lupoi, and Enos are gone. We've added Sarkisian, Kelly, Sunseri, and Huff. So depending or what happens with Pannuzio and Jones, we could either have a full staff or have one or two more hires to make, correct? Regardless, it is going to be interesting to see how CNS shuffles the pieces around.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Someone mentioned VPI's receivers coach today on local radio in Mobile? If he were to come on board would that be an entirely new offensive staff except for TE's? Crazy, after a year where we blew the offensive records out of the water.

Rtr

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So as we stand....Locksley, Gattis, Keys, Lupoi, and Enos are gone. We've added Sarkisian, Kelly, Sunseri, and Huff. So depending or what happens with Pannuzio and Jones, we could either have a full staff or have one or two more hires to make, correct? Regardless, it is going to be interesting to see how CNS shuffles the pieces around.
This is from Jess - Page 1 post 1 -

Sal Sunseri, Kyle Flood and Freddie Roach (not so fast my friend) all appear to be joining the staff. Assuming Butch Jones is getting an on-field job, that would make him the new WR coach, and Steve Sarkisian would be the QB/OC coach.

Kyle Flood would coach OL. Not sure how Roach and Sunseri would divide their duties. Unless Craig Kuligowski moves on, Alabama will flip one of its assistant slots from offense to defense.

EDIT: The Roach hiring has yet to go through, and I'm going to pull that back for right now until I can re-confirm with the person that I talked to about it. I'm openly wondering right now whether Lake has to give a final yes/no first.

EDIT #2: Being reported out of Tennessee that Charles Kelly has an offer to join the staff.

EDIT #3: With Kelly taking the third spot, it's hard to see a spot for Roach/Lake opening up.

EDIT#4: With Charles Huff set to join the staff as RB coach, and with Butch Jones apparently having turned down Maryland to stay at UA in some capacity, it would appear Joe Pannunzio will move to an off-field role. Also, this move makes the possibility of Lance Taylor joining the staff somewhat slim. There is a maximum of one more hire to make, depending on how Alabama assigns its new defensive assistants. Alabama could move Pannunzio to tight ends and have Jeff Banks concentrate on special teams, or it could split the DL, LB and/or DB coaching into multiple positions.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
This is from Jess - Page 1 post 1 -

Sal Sunseri, Kyle Flood and Freddie Roach (not so fast my friend) all appear to be joining the staff. Assuming Butch Jones is getting an on-field job, that would make him the new WR coach, and Steve Sarkisian would be the QB/OC coach.

Kyle Flood would coach OL. Not sure how Roach and Sunseri would divide their duties. Unless Craig Kuligowski moves on, Alabama will flip one of its assistant slots from offense to defense.

EDIT: The Roach hiring has yet to go through, and I'm going to pull that back for right now until I can re-confirm with the person that I talked to about it. I'm openly wondering right now whether Lake has to give a final yes/no first.

EDIT #2: Being reported out of Tennessee that Charles Kelly has an offer to join the staff.

EDIT #3: With Kelly taking the third spot, it's hard to see a spot for Roach/Lake opening up.

EDIT#4: With Charles Huff set to join the staff as RB coach, and with Butch Jones apparently having turned down Maryland to stay at UA in some capacity, it would appear Joe Pannunzio will move to an off-field role. Also, this move makes the possibility of Lance Taylor joining the staff somewhat slim. There is a maximum of one more hire to make, depending on how Alabama assigns its new defensive assistants. Alabama could move Pannunzio to tight ends and have Jeff Banks concentrate on special teams, or it could split the DL, LB and/or DB coaching into multiple positions.
I wonder how long it will take ( if he hasn't already turned the position down) for Lake to decide yes or no?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I know we all like to give Butch Jones a hard time, but I actually expect him to do very well as a position coach on O for us, especially given the the talent pool he will have to work with. With the buyout money still coming in from UT, I’m guessing the decision to stay probably had more to do with the opportunity to win a championship and career rehab than being higher up on the organization chart.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I know we all like to give Butch Jones a hard time, but I actually expect him to do very well as a position coach on O for us, especially given the the talent pool he will have to work with. With the buyout money still coming in from UT, I’m guessing the decision to stay probably had more to do with the opportunity to win a championship and career rehab than being higher up on the organization chart.
That has to gall them to no end to be paying Butch to work for Bama

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I

We did our part helping make Clemson look great.
We missed some great opportunities on the field.
Some of the problem was a couple of coaches had checked out,
and some of it was players missing assignments.
Then there was Tua... Brent Venables studied his tendencies and Brent called a heck of a game.
Brent had the answer and had taught their Defense what Tua was likely to do in most cases.
Clemson beat us at our own game.
They were more physical.
(They held on most plays and it wasn't called)
Clemson beat us with a really good Defense.
We didn't make changes during the game.
We Passed when we should have ran the ball.
We ran the ball when we had open receivers...
Very unlike us.
We looked like we had read and believed all of the press.
We were not invincible,
Clemson used our weakness against us.

After watching the game a couple of times,
I understand why we had to replace
a bunch of assistant coaches.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Am I the only one who isn't excited at all about this coaching staff this year? I guess it doesn't matter whether I am or not, since I was excited with last year's and they were disappointing (if you can call a one loss team disappointing). I think my issues are 1) Sarkisian, who worries me, and 2) Butch Jones, who is just Butch Jones. Not mention the lack of a splash hire at DC. Not trying to be an Eeyore. I know Saban knows best and will put together the best staff possible and we would be fine even with lesser coaches, probably.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Am I the only one who isn't excited at all about this coaching staff this year? I guess it doesn't matter whether I am or not, since I was excited with last year's and they were disappointing (if you can call a one loss team disappointing). I think my issues are 1) Sarkisian, who worries me, and 2) Butch Jones, who is just Butch Jones. Not mention the lack of a splash hire at DC. Not trying to be an Eeyore. I know Saban knows best and will put together the best staff possible and we would be fine even with lesser coaches, probably.
It’s probably the best overall coaching staff since 2011. A lot of experience and strong recruiting.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.