Defensive and Offensive line next year

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
Ultimately, I think Bama lost the NC due to be line play on both the Offensive and Defensive sides. Bama just didn't seem to have quality depth on the either side. So my question is simply this: Will Bama line play be better on offense, defense, or both?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Ultimately, I think Bama lost the NC due to be line play on both the Offensive and Defensive sides. Bama just didn't seem to have quality depth on the either side. So my question is simply this: Will Bama line play be better on offense, defense, or both?
Yes. Sometimes you need a catastrophe to get back to reality. We are there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we'll hold our own, with whom we have coming up. On the DL, we were without three starters, two of whom were lost just before the season. On the OL, we lost our starting and best LG just before the playoffs. It should be remembered that our OL was runner up to the OU OL for the OL trophy and our decimated DL put a lot of pressure on KM...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I won't argue against you much, but the more that comes out during this coaching search, the injuries we sustained, and the number two seed having an easier path than we did to the Championship three likelihood of winning that game was very slim indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Injuries to key players! We will have one of the best OL in the country next year. Also, lots of talent on the DL next year.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
A lot of people are thinking that the young center is going to be really good. I think a lot depends on that being true. We certainly have tackles even with Jonah, and though I have heard both sides on the kid from IMG, he will certainly have a shot at it. I guess that Brown's situation is the key, but I can imagine that by the time we play aTm we should be fine.

We have people coming back on defense but how many solid playmakers? Half of them missed this year. Can Kehoe bulk up enough to make a big impact? The d-line is a pile of questions.

Rtr

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Man o man. It’s amazing how people lose total perspective. 14-1. SEC West Champions. Orange Bowl Champions and three straight championship games. Been in all 5 playoffs. Five national championships in 10 years. Yup, it’s a disaster. Saban sucks. Catastrophic indeed.

BLUE FONT ALL OF THAT!!! [emoji12]

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Alfano is the real deal. Once Scott gets ahold of him...BEAST. Christian Barmore will be the “Q” of 2019. If Lewis can stay healthy you won’t recognize the defense. The back end will be lethal. If we can get more consistent production from the LB and STAY HEALTHY the defense will be leaps and bounds better.

The talent is there in bunches on the OL. We have legitimately 3 guys that would be starting LT on almost any team in America. The key, and it is almost always been the case, is finding out the UNIT that meshes the best. Like Earle said, last year we found it, and then injury and suspension wrecked it. It MATTERED!!!

Wills, Leatherwood, Womack are Locks IMO. Center seems set and Brown is the ? Is he out two games, 4, more? His spot may be gone when he becomes eligible. Neal seems to be day 1 ready but there is usually a learning curve. Given the level of recruitment though the depth chart is definitely going to be much stronger.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
A lot of hyperbole, overreaction, and just plain wide spread panic have gone on since the Clemson game. To hear people say it, our OL and DL and the whole defense sucked all year, but a week before that game, our defense (and horrible defensive coaches, for that matter) put together a first half performance for the ages against the best offense in the country. They slacked off in the 2nd half, but losing Christian Miller and their intensity played into as much as anything. I really believe our team played OU like it was the NC game. I truly do. Murray winning the stupid Hypesman channeled our their focus on unto proving Tua had "his" trophy robbed away. Our problem this year was about an attitude, mentality, and key injuries more than anything. It was the perfect storm.

Our biggest problem with personnel was lack of depth, but the question is why? That's why I think we are seeing so much staff turnover. I have heard from a former player still close to the current players say that Wynn and Barmore were studs in practice, but never saw the field. My question is why is that? Saving or redshirting players is basically a thing of the past in our program. Q is proof of that. Besides people who follow recruiting or follow the program really closely had never heard his name until this year. Now he's gone as a RS Soph 1 year starter. Jobe actually looked good in relief of Savion in the NCG, but he would have seen the field if not for Savion's "injury". I feel like these young guys should have some kind of limited role early and often and should developed in games through the season. An early enrollee has been on campus by game 15 in the season as long as players in the past were by nearly the end of their Soph year. If we are only going to have a lot of players 3 years, I think their clock needs to start earlier than players past.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
A lot of hyperbole, overreaction, and just plain wide spread panic have gone on since the Clemson game. To hear people say it, our OL and DL and the whole defense sucked all year, but a week before that game, our defense (and horrible defensive coaches, for that matter) put together a first half performance for the ages against the best offense in the country. They slacked off in the 2nd half, but losing Christian Miller and their intensity played into as much as anything. I really believe our team played OU like it was the NC game. I truly do. Murray winning the stupid Hypesman channeled our their focus on unto proving Tua had "his" trophy robbed away. Our problem this year was about an attitude, mentality, and key injuries more than anything. It was the perfect storm.

Our biggest problem with personnel was lack of depth, but the question is why? That's why I think we are seeing so much staff turnover. I have heard from a former player still close to the current players say that Wynn and Barmore were studs in practice, but never saw the field. My question is why is that? Saving or redshirting players is basically a thing of the past in our program. Q is proof of that. Besides people who follow recruiting or follow the program really closely had never heard his name until this year. Now he's gone as a RS Soph 1 year starter. Jobe actually looked good in relief of Savion in the NCG, but he would have seen the field if not for Savion's "injury". I feel like these young guys should have some kind of limited role early and often and should developed in games through the season. An early enrollee has been on campus by game 15 in the season as long as players in the past were by nearly the end of their Soph year. If we are only going to have a lot of players 3 years, I think their clock needs to start earlier than players past.
There is a flip side to that thought process. What if Saban put a guy on the field who got beat for the winning touchdown because he didn't consistently handle his responsibilities? Fans would say, "Why was that guy in the game if he wasn't ready?" Saban plays guys when he thinks they are ready because he knows that a game can turn on a single play. Now, when we are up by four touchdowns in the second half, it would seem to make sense to get some of these young guys some playing time. Personally, I think Saban plays them when he sees they are properly committed to doing things correctly. He doesn't just play guys because they are talented. He plays guys who are both talented and committed, which is why many consider him to be the greatest coach in history because when talented guys work hard and pay attention to detail, they are tough to beat.

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
Man o man. It’s amazing how people lose total perspective. 14-1. SEC West Champions. Orange Bowl Champions and three straight championship games. Been in all 5 playoffs. Five national championships in 10 years. Yup, it’s a disaster. Saban sucks. Catastrophic indeed.
BLUE FONT ALL OF THAT!!! [emoji12]

In now way did I even suggest a "castraphophy". As many of the other people responded, they talked about the depth chart and what our line would look like. For those posters, I respect and appreciate their response. For anyone who took it any other way, I will only say if they view themselves as a hammer, obviously every post looks like a nail. Lighten up and Roll Tide.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I have heard that our OC and DC were more concerned with their new jobs than they were with winning a NC. Whether it's true or not, who knows and at this point it really doesn't matter. We had a good year but didn't finish like I had hoped we would.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I won't argue against you much, but the more that comes out during this coaching search, the injuries we sustained, and the number two seed having an easier path than we did to the Championship three likelihood of winning that game was very slim indeed.

maybe we should of lost the Auburn game and played Clemson in the first round

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
maybe we should of lost the Auburn game and played Clemson in the first round
There is some logic to that. I mentioned that to a buddy of mine that we might have been better off to not have played in the SECCG. However I think we had already sewed up the West title before the AU game so losing that would not have made a difference, we still would have gone to Atlanta.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm not worried about our OL as I think we have plenty of talent and depth along with a good amount of experience although that is assuming Brown will be back. The DL is a concern. It seems like to me we haven't recruited as well there over the past few years which is a mystery to me as many players we have put in the NFL along the DL. The top recruits should have been falling all over themselves to sign with us. I think Ray has the potential to be a star. We all know what Raekwon can do but will he? This past season was a disappointment for me because I expected him to be a dominate player and very high draft pick. Lewis and Jennings coming back will help although I consider them to be more of a hybrid DE/OL/Jack player then a true lineman. I think we will have to break some tendencies and play the younger guys, or at least I hope we do that, to do a better job of developing depth. If we don't then we're going to be in the same boat next year at this time.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I'm not worried about our OL as I think we have plenty of talent and depth along with a good amount of experience although that is assuming Brown will be back. The DL is a concern. It seems like to me we haven't recruited as well there over the past few years which is a mystery to me as many players we have put in the NFL along the DL. The top recruits should have been falling all over themselves to sign with us. I think Ray has the potential to be a star. We all know what Raekwon can do but will he? This past season was a disappointment for me because I expected him to be a dominate player and very high draft pick. Lewis and Jennings coming back will help although I consider them to be more of a hybrid DE/OL/Jack player then a true lineman. I think we will have to break some tendencies and play the younger guys, or at least I hope we do that, to do a better job of developing depth. If we don't then we're going to be in the same boat next year at this time.
Not to argue or disagree about the DL this year, but I have to wonder how much our diminished LB play may have contributed.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Linebacker play is the key. Mack Wilson seemed lost at times and overpowered at others. I hope the new kids play better. Maybe a change at the ILB coach position will see improvement also?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Linebacker play is the key. Mack Wilson seemed lost at times and overpowered at others. I hope the new kids play better. Maybe a change at the ILB coach position will see improvement also?
Sal is going to make a big difference for us.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
The DL was OUTSTANDING given the fact that there was almost ZERO rotation of bodies. That’s what made last year so effective. I’m not sure why there wasn’t any more of that but my suspicion is what other have been mentioning...LB play. They were thin too but I’m thinking the trust factor from Coach just wasn’t there at LB to think they could help on run support. Usually the LB feast in Saban’s scheme because usually the DL are so talented they eat up blockers and free the LB to shoot the gap and make plays. This year Mack’s GPS rerouted him to the wrong gap or needed new batteries altogether. Injuries can’t be ignored either. While not as ridiculous as the previous season we lost FIVE FREAKING starters. That’s almost half the lineup on defense. If we can get and stay healthy again I have great confidence that this new staff will definitely get the fundamentals squared away and we will see much more consistent play on both side of the LINE.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.