Game Thread: Bama Travels to Rocky Top

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Technically, he walked. Technically.

And, unless we can’t see Lewis clearing out with his shoulder, that’s as bad a charging call as you’ll ever see.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I've seen players walk all the time as they move their feet a split second after receiving a pass. It looked like Petty had possession of the ball just prior to splitting his feet; so, technically a walk. Maybe if he had not made the dribble move immediately, the refs would have allowed the foot movement. (Felt like I was reviewing a catch/not-catch in a football game as to when Petty actually caught the ball.) He was catching, arranging his feet, and starting the dribble all at the same time. Maybe got bumped after and definitely hooked the UT defender after but that didn't come into play with the walk being called.

There was a funky call in the first half on Jones for walking when he left the floor to snatch a loose ball and game down with the dribble. The key to this was when he took possession. Looked like it was actually after he jumped so it should not be a walk but it was so close, I'm still not sure after watching the replay.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've seen players walk all the time as they move their feet a split second after receiving a pass. It looked like Petty had possession of the ball just prior to splitting his feet; so, technically a walk. I believe that if he had not made the dribble move immediately, the refs would have allowed the foot movement. (Felt like I was reviewing a catch/not-catch in a football game as to when Petty actually caught the ball.)

There was a funky call in the first half on Jones for walking when he left the floor to snatch a loose ball and game down with the dribble. The key to this was when he took possession. Looked like it was actually after he jumped so it should not be a walk but it was so close, I'm still not sure after watching the replay.
Told my brother and brother in law as we watched it that traveling is getting to the level of charge/block calling.

Guy takes a few steps in the lane on a fast break for a dunk? No call.

Guy is in traffic and shuffles? Call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Told my brother and brother in law as we watched it that traveling is getting to the level of charge/block calling.

Guy takes a few steps in the lane on a fast break for a dunk? No call.

Guy is in traffic and shuffles? Call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep you can take 4 steps on a break away towards a dunk, but shuffle your feet the instant you catch an inbounds pass, game over.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Please don't include "Travels" in the title of the next road game thread!

Jones's outside and free throw shooting has been disappointing so far this season. The TV announcer mentioned something about his wrist not being completely healed yet and that it affects his shooting follow through. Whatever the case, I really hope he works this out.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
With us beating Kentucky and taking it to Tennessee up there, there should no acceptance of us giving another performance like A&M or Ga St going forward.

In the last 9:25, we scored 7 points. During crunch-time, shots should've been attempted by Petty, Hall or Lewis. Instead Reese, Ingram, Norris and Jones (just no, Herb) are jacking up 3s. No problem with that when they have the hot hand but yesterday wasn't it. Petty was hot, Hall is always good around the basket, and Lewis is pretty clutch no matter what he's done in earlier in game.

If we play hard and defend, we can win 10 of last 14 games. I really believe that.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think the official thought he was making a makeup call for the charge on the other end. It was clearly a charge any way you look at it. Look at the video. He calls the travel almost the second Petty touches the ball. No ones reaction time is that fast. Literally split seconds.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Petty showed a ton of improvement. I have seen his willingness to put the ball on the floor and it is opening up his game. I think if he keeps this up he will be ready for the league next year.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Vols got voted #1. I managed to upset a lot of the crazies there when I suggested on Twitter that Tennessee is not the best basketball team in the country. Not sure how they even found my tweet. Very thin skinned folks.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think the official thought he was making a makeup call for the charge on the other end. It was clearly a charge any way you look at it. Look at the video. He calls the travel almost the second Petty touches the ball. No ones reaction time is that fast. Literally split seconds.
That is exactly what it was. It was obvious the moment it happened. Three days later and I'm still not over it. Hopefully the team isn't like me and is ready to go tonight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.