Game Thread: Bama Travels to Rocky Top

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Started slow, nice comeback but predictable ending. Everyone will talk about the traveling call but it was our free throw shooting that did us in. We were like 1-10 or something in the second half. Just pathetic effort from the free throw line..
The effort was there. Maybe to much effort at the free throw line. I know sometimes your free throws don't fall. I have had a couple miserable games at the line and I tried my hardest to hard.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Proud of the fight our guys showed to give themselves a chance but we're good enough that moral victories are NOT enough (especially garbage losses too). Having to rely on a freshman point guard down the stretch in games seems to kill us routinely in games I've gotten to watch. Our ability to value/maximize possessions in the final five has not been up to snuff. This is a talented, deep team that has a crippling deficiency in ball handling and offensive leadership in crunch time.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Jobbed and robbed - phantom step as predictable a call as could have been made to take it out of 'Bama's hands. Avery's TO @11.3 left let the zebras plot the perfect ending.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A bogus call isn’t excused because Bama missed too many FTs.

Bama needed to do its job, just like the refs have to do theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
An enterprising engineer could make a fortune developing AI - driven robot game officials. Anything, and I mean anything, is better than the hot garbage on the court now. Of course, I also want our players to learn the Rick Barry FT style, so anything I say should be not be taken seriously....

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I don't know how the SEC can defend that crap officiating....I hate to see a referee decide a game like that.
Not going to be a popular comment, but watch the play without the crimson colored glasses. While I didn’t see a travel either, Petty clearly chicken-winged the defender. He was nearly grabbing his butt when it happened, which using your arm to hook the defender is a blatant offensive foul.

The officiating was one-sided at times in the 1st half, but it was far more evenly called in the 2nd. It’s not the refs fault we missed 10 free throws in the 2nd half. Or that our shot selection was garbage for the last 5 minutes of the game. Or that we couldn’t draw up a decent offensive play out of a timeout to win the game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The rain made my satellite freeze up so I missed the traveling call.

Still, had we made free throws at the same 75% they did, we win the game.

I’m not big on a moral victories, but a close loss to the #1 team in waiting is nothing to sneeze at.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Bright side, the tourney is all about being able to compete with the best, and we certainly picked up more than a couple brownie points there today seeing as how no one else has gotten with sniffing distance of UT since Gonzaga.

The sickening point is my afore-mentioned tent-folding in this thread, up three points and UT building a four-minute long igloo. Serviceable free-throw shooting (not necessarily even good) and brain-induced shot selection with the lead in the last five minutes would've been a win that could've shifted the program. At some point, you either take that step, or shy away from it when the pressure is on...again. Purely nauseating.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
1-3 in tight games decided late (beat KY, losses to GAState, A&M, and UT). If this team and coach can demonstrate the ability to win more of these games (or at least not self-destruct), we'll truly turn the corner. I hope we're close to that. Proud of the players for the fight they showed in this one, though. Would've been easy to fold the tents.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not going to be a popular comment, but watch the play without the crimson colored glasses. While I didn’t see a travel either, Petty clearly chicken-winged the defender. He was nearly grabbing his butt when it happened, which using your arm to hook the defender is a blatant offensive foul.

The officiating was one-sided at times in the 1st half, but it was far more evenly called in the 2nd. It’s not the refs fault we missed 10 free throws in the 2nd half. Or that our shot selection was garbage for the last 5 minutes of the game. Or that we couldn’t draw up a decent offensive play out of a timeout to win the game.

Gonna have to disagree on the officiating, but had Petty been called for a foul you might possibly maybe arguably had a point. He was not called for a foul, however.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yep. We can only blame ourselves for the horrendous 2nd half FT shooting. That is a game we should have won.
Now, I would like to see this effort every game. That has been an issue with CAJ teams. We play really hard one game, fairly hard another, tank another. If we would play with consistent effort, we could be a solid program again. Until we do, we are just going to continue the hair-pulling frustration.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Now, I would like to see this effort every game. That has been an issue with CAJ teams. We play really hard one game, fairly hard another, tank another. If we would play with consistent effort, we could be a solid program again. Until we do, we are just going to continue the hair-pulling frustration.
"We played 35 minutes of a 40 minute game."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Because Tennessee was the home team and also the team with a top 5 ranking about to go to #1 in the country after Michigan lost.

Yes I believe the refs manipulate outcomes in college basketball. It’s easy to do, as we witnessed today. We can talk about Alabama’s deficiencies which are maddening to watch, but we also don’t have to ignore the reality of the horse manure that is collegiate officiating.

Last edited by a moderator:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.