Clyde May's "Alabama Style" Whiskey

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
There are two varieties that I’ve tried. One is substantially more expensive. The less expensive version (I think around $25-$30) to me had a pretty strong apple cider taste. I really did not care for it and never finished the bottle. The more expensive version (~$70), I remember being much better, but not worth the cost.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I bought a bottle as a birthday present for a friend a few years ago on the recommendation of someone in the liquor store familiar with more expensive whiskeys (but not crazy expensive). I believe it was around $40 or $50. From what I remember it had some nice, very subtle flavors of vanilla & cherry (from aging, not addition) and was pretty smooth. We both liked it a lot. There are several varieties. I believe the one pictured here is the one I bought.

Cheers!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Have consumed several bottles over the years. Distinctive thing for me was caramel, which others may see as vanilla. I think we're talking about the same thing.

Money well spent. A good sipping whiskey, with more flavor than Maker's Mark, though not necessarily as smooth. But not the bite of Jack Daniels.

An excellent addition to the rotation.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Not sure about the whiskey, but I know Conecuh makes some mighty fine smoke sausage.
Yo, I was about to say the SAME thing. I grew up like 1.5 hour away from Conecuh and we used to have their sausage for breakfast quite often. Tastes like home to me. Just recently found out that they actually sell it pretty widely but the only place you can get it near here is on the Navy base. Sucks, but I'm glad they do well.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yo, I was about to say the SAME thing. I grew up like 1.5 hour away from Conecuh and we used to have their sausage for breakfast quite often. Tastes like home to me. Just recently found out that they actually sell it pretty widely but the only place you can get it near here is on the Navy base. Sucks, but I'm glad they do well.
I get my uncle to get me a few cases each time we go back home to see my folks in MS/AL. They don't sell it in Louisiana and I'd rather not pay shipping.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
OKay. I bought the bottle. It is nice (nice change-up), but not my favorite.
I like that that it comes from Alabama (I love Alabama Sunshine hot sauce and Buffalo Rock ginger ale), but being a north Alabama man myself, I'm not sure I will be buying another bottle.
Thanks to all who shared an opinion.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
OKay. I bought the bottle. It is nice (nice change-up), but not my favorite.
I like that that it comes from Alabama (I love Alabama Sunshine hot sauce and Buffalo Rock ginger ale), but being a north Alabama man myself, I'm not sure I will be buying another bottle.
Thanks to all who shared an opinion.
Just curious....what is your favorite?

For me, it's Jefferson's Reserve. I've heard Jefferson's Ocean is worth the money, but never had any.

Self-observation: I'll spend $100 or more on a bottle of wine or scotch. But choke on a $100 bottle of bourbon. Admittedly, there's no logic there. Just the workings of my increasingly feeble mind.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just curious....what is your favorite?

For me, it's Jefferson's Reserve. I've heard Jefferson's Ocean is worth the money, but never had any.

Self-observation: I'll spend $100 or more on a bottle of wine or scotch. But choke on a $100 bottle of bourbon. Admittedly, there's no logic there. Just the workings of my increasingly feeble mind.
Interestingly, there is a distillery here in the Commonwealth, in Spotsylvania County, just south of Fredericksburg. Bowman Brothers. Highly recommended. Normally, I'm a purist, which means bourbon comes from Kan-Tuck-Ee ("We face north and then, real sudden-like, we turn left," as Natty Bumppo said), but Bowman Brothers is worth a try.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.