Saints and Rams: officiating - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Saints and Rams: officiating

SIAP, but some were saying no officials would lose their job for this.
    Rumor has it VP of officials is on his way out, and Blandino may be taking his place.
    Also, talk of review for PI calls (or non calls) is on the agenda for the NFL winter meeting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    SIAP, but some were saying no officials would lose their job for this.
    Rumor has it VP of officials is on his way out, and Blandino may be taking his place.
    Also, talk of review for PI calls (or non calls) is on the agenda for the NFL winter meeting.
    Considering Sean Payton is apparently on the competition committee I fully expect it to be strongly considered. I'm not a fan of it, but I do expect it will happen and eventually trickle down to NCAA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Considering Sean Payton is apparently on the competition committee I fully expect it to be strongly considered. I'm not a fan of it, but I do expect it will happen and eventually trickle down to NCAA as well.
    I don't have a problem with it as long as it's only done by coach's challenge, which is obviously limited to a certain number per game.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

I don’t have a problem with challenging certain fouls but not all fouls. Holding is one I feel that shouldn’t be challengable.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

There are some Saints fans that have hired a personal injury lawyer to get the NFL to make them play the game again. Some people need a hobby.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I don’t have a problem with challenging certain fouls but not all fouls. Holding is one I feel that shouldn’t be challengable.
    I think of it this way - if a coach is willing to use one of his limited challenges on a holding call, it's either a big factor in the play or the coach isn't bright.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation First Team

Some of you may enjoy this read. Good site for information on NFL officials.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/0...onship-sunday/

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

NFL fined the Rams player for helmet to helmet hit.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    NFL fined the Rams player for helmet to helmet hit.
    They had already admitted that the no-call was an error by the officials, so this is consistent. Now the NFL is saying that they cannot replay the game from the point of that error because it would delay the SB at a huge cost. The reality - they knew it was an error and had the ability to fix it the night of the game. They chose not to correct the mistake when it would have cost the NFL next to nothing - might have even made the NFL more money. All they had to do was play the next night.

So. this was not about money. The NFL just doesn't care about its fans. It thinks that it can do anything and the fans will stick, and they are probably right.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

That rule about replaying was likely put in place years before TV deals, the show that is the Super Bowl and all that surrounds it. We had to know they wouldn’t do any sort of replaying the game. It would get in the way of “everything else” too much.

I wonder if the players from the Saints filed a class action suit with the NFL over lost NFC Championship winner money and potential Super Bowl bonus money and anything in their specific contracts tied to the same, what would happen. The NFL has admitted guilt already. I’m not sure how they could defend themselves in court. I don’t know if anything like this is even possible but it’s something to muse about.
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They had already admitted that the no-call was an error by the officials, so this is consistent. Now the NFL is saying that they cannot replay the game from the point of that error because it would delay the SB at a huge cost. The reality - they knew it was an error and had the ability to fix it the night of the game. They chose not to correct the mistake when it would have cost the NFL next to nothing - might have even made the NFL more money. All they had to do was play the next night.

So. this was not about money. The NFL just doesn't care about its fans. It thinks that it can do anything and the fans will stick, and they are probably right.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    That rule about replaying was likely put in place years before TV deals, the show that is the Super Bowl and all that surrounds it. We had to know they wouldn’t do any sort of replaying the game. It would get in the way of “everything else” too much.

I wonder if the players from the Saints filed a class action suit with the NFL over lost NFC Championship winner money and potential Super Bowl bonus money and anything in their specific contracts tied to the same, what would happen. The NFL has admitted guilt already. I’m not sure how they could defend themselves in court. I don’t know if anything like this is even possible but it’s something to muse about.
    The seasons ticket holders sued, which is how we found out their reasoning for not playing the game over from that point.

I agree that the players should sue for their bonuses. They should sue for the entire amount of bonuses, to include the bonus for winning the SB because the NFL took away their ability to earn that bonus. The NFL would have to pay given their reasoning offered in the other suit. They have painted themselves into a corner.

Pretty sure the rule Michael Thomas cited as the reason the NFL could have the game replayed from that moment doesn't apply here. Link

Article 2 The authority and measures provided for in this entire Section 2 do not constitute a protestmachinery for NFL clubs to avail themselves of in the event a dispute arises over the result of a game. Theinvestigation called for in this Section 2 will be conducted solely on the Commissioner’s initiative to review an act or occurrence that he deems so extraordinary or unfair that the result of the game in question would be inequitable to one of the participating teams. The Commissioner will not apply his authority in cases of complaints by clubs concerning judgmental errors or routine errors of omission by game officials. Games involving such complaints will continue to stand as completed.
    We all know DPI is a judgement call, so the NFL admitting the call was wrong doesn't really change things here.
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I heard on the radio this morning that someone tried to show an image that showed the ball was tipped at the line. The image for that was inconclusive, but what it did show was a hold by the saints and hands to the face by the saints. Apparently, the call should have been offsetting and replayed the down.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll