Saints and Rams: officiating

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Do they review these for targeting? That guy hit the receiver above the shoulder and there was helmet to helmet contact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I realize in the course is the game players and coaches make mistakes. I even question the PC; however, the game culminated into that one play at that time of the game. The DB was out of position and the call was sooo blatantly obvious that the Saints could have used a ton of clock and kicked a FG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I thought the refs blew several calls against us against Clemson, but that no call in the Saints-Rams game is probably the most unbelievable no call I've ever seen. The defender wasn't even remotely trying to play the ball, he was beat so he just ran right thru the receiver and expected a flag. Also had helmet to helmet on the play. It was a hard fought game both ways, but that call took a Superbowl away from the Saints. If that is called correctly, it is a first down for the Saints, and they can run most of the clock out before they could either score a TD or kick a field goal for the win. I think the NFL wanted LA in there because they think the California market actually cares about football. Now they are reporting down here that the no call referee actually lives in LA. That wasn't the only missed call in the game, but it was the worst missed call, at the most crucial time in a game, I've ever seen. Pretty much makes me think someone made a lot of money on this game.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I thought the refs blew several calls against us against Clemson, but that no call in the Saints-Rams game is probably the most unbelievable no call I've ever seen. The defender wasn't even remotely trying to play the ball, he was beat so he just ran right thru the receiver and expected a flag. Also had helmet to helmet on the play. It was a hard fought game both ways, but that call took a Superbowl away from the Saints. If that is called correctly, it is a first down for the Saints, and they can run most of the clock out before they could either score a TD or kick a field goal for the win. I think the NFL wanted LA in there because they think the California market actually cares about football. Now they are reporting down here that the no call referee actually lives in LA. That wasn't the only missed call in the game, but it was the worst missed call, at the most crucial time in a game, I've ever seen. Pretty much makes me think someone made a lot of money on this game.
Referees are humans. Humans are corruptible. Ergo....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No comparison in Chiefs/Pats game. . I can see the ref thinking he hit Brady in the face. But the other game was a direct result. The Saints got mugged! And they directly lost the game as a result. They could of taken three knees and kicked a field goal with no time left.

The NFL should assign a game commissioner or czar or whatever that can immediately fix egregious errors that are absolutely game changing! Everyone saw that error, but there was no recourse to fix it!

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There was just a horrible roughing the passer call on the chiefs. Never touched Brady’s head but, you breath in a QB in the NFL and they throw a flag. Ridiculous.
The roughing the passer rule has gotten out of hand in the NFL. I am betting it will not be long before this trickles down to college. The powers that be are patting themselves on the back so it will not change (it may some how get worse). You cannot go high, you cannot go low, and my personal favorite you cannot land on the QB. They are almost eliminating sacks all together.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
From a fan's perspective, what do you feel is the appropriate level of accountability for a miss like that? Do you only hold the deep official who has primary coverage on that call but due to angle can't always tell the timing of the contact with the location of the ball? The back judge and short wing have secondary coverage and both would have a much better angle on the location of the ball in relation to the contact. Are they all treated the same? The referee is focused on the QB and has no idea what happens downfield. He'll hear the fans booing but they boo all the time. Does he face any accountability?

How much of an impact does the timing of the call make when it comes to accountability? What if that happened midway through the third quarter? Is it any less wrong then? What if the Saints actually stop the Rams on the last drive and win the game or win in OT? Does that change how you hold the official(s) accountable?

If you say they should be fired and never work in the NFL again, what about the DE from the Chiefs who was called for offsides late in their game? His mistake impacted that game just as much as this no-call impacted the NFC game. Should he be cut and never signed by another team as well? It's not a perfect analogy but you can draw parallels.

Keep in mind the officials working yesterday were graded in the top 3 of their position this year and had worked a combined 70 playoff games prior to this week. They had already proven they were the best of the best. Does all that go away because of one really bad judgement error?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
From a fan's perspective, what do you feel is the appropriate level of accountability for a miss like that? Do you only hold the deep official who has primary coverage on that call but due to angle can't always tell the timing of the contact with the location of the ball? The back judge and short wing have secondary coverage and both would have a much better angle on the location of the ball in relation to the contact. Are they all treated the same? The referee is focused on the QB and has no idea what happens downfield. He'll hear the fans booing but they boo all the time. Does he face any accountability?

How much of an impact does the timing of the call make when it comes to accountability? What if that happened midway through the third quarter? Is it any less wrong then? What if the Saints actually stop the Rams on the last drive and win the game or win in OT? Does that change how you hold the official(s) accountable?

If you say they should be fired and never work in the NFL again, what about the DE from the Chiefs who was called for offsides late in their game? His mistake impacted that game just as much as this no-call impacted the NFC game. Should he be cut and never signed by another team as well? It's not a perfect analogy but you can draw parallels.

Keep in mind the officials working yesterday were graded in the top 3 of their position this year and had worked a combined 70 playoff games prior to this week. They had already proven they were the best of the best. Does all that go away because of one really bad judgement error?
Officials are human. I have no problem with the mistake. But if I made a mistake like that where I work, I would be fired. Period. Heck, my whole team would be fired. The real world is a tough place. Somehow officials get to live in a land where there are no consequences and excuses are piled atop excuses for their mistakes.

There has to be a system put in place to correct, in real time, officiating mistakes of this kind. The whole world knew it was a bad call. It would take no real change to simply implement a rule in the playoffs that would allow a booth review of any play at the discretion of the booth officials. We can deal with 4 hour playoff games as long as they get it right.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I love that there are saints fans now screaming about a conspiracy. Seriously? Some of these dummies actually think Vegas wanted LA and the Pats to play in the Super Bowl. The poor saints. Was the call wrong? Yes. Does it really matter? No. Should the refs be held accountable for bad calls? Yes. Will they? Nope. Weirdly the commish can overrule the call and make them replay from that point. Newsflash, he won't. Missed calls happen all the time (more than they should). It doesn't matter when it happened or that the game was sort of decided by it. Our national championship game had 2 missed PI calls that cost us points. Should we go back and do that game over? Get over it saints fans, it is done.

I agree with B1G, refs are not like the rest of us normies. We get fired for really bad mistakes. I know I would be. The difference is we get fire if it costs the company money. This will not cost the NFL any money at all.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There was just a horrible roughing the passer call on the chiefs. Never touched Brady’s head but, you breath in a QB in the NFL and they throw a flag. Ridiculous.
There was an even more ridiculous makeup call for the Chiefs/ Pats when there was a 40 yard illegal pick play on the following drive. The refs didn’t have much of an impact on the end result because it was a game of bad call- bad makeup call. The Saints didn’t have that luxury but in the end they did it to themselves by settling for 3 fgs in the red zone.

If the Chiefs are wanting to be honest: Reggie Ragland was the only reason the game was that close and Dee Ford is the reason the result was inevitable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.