What is Brent Venables waiting for?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i look to Monte Kiffin as a perfect example of an incredible coach who just didn't care about being a HC.

he's a legend but was always apparently happy being a DC.

he was a head coach for like 3 years at NC State maybe?

I also was never able to figure out how a pain in the butt like Lane came from a quiet and humble dude like Monte.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Any idea what job he's got his eye on? He definitely could have a HC job by now, if he wasn't waiting on a certain one.
Simple, he’s said numerous times he’s not going anywhere until his son graduates, and even then it’s gotta be something nice. He’s making over 2 mil a year. Hasn’t he turned down a lot of smaller jobs as Oklahoma and Clemson DC?

Dabo has done a great job keeping his staff together, it’s a big reason they’ve won 2 of 3.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
Based on what he's said and recent opportunities passed on, I think he'll be the DC as long as they're winning and Dabo is the HC. We just need to beat them next opportunity WITH him as the DC.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
He tells them if they don't start playing better, they will not be invited to the next pizza party.
Whatever...say what we will, Dabo has obviously crafted a winning culture/system at Clemson. Sure kicked our butts. Now, could he replicate that elsewhere? We might well have a chance to find out in the three to four years or so.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Whatever...say what we will, Dabo has obviously crafted a winning culture/system at Clemson. Sure kicked our butts. Now, could he replicate that elsewhere? We might well have a chance to find out in the three to four years or so.
Why do people keep saying this? Dabo is not leaving clempson.

As far as Venables goes, maybe he is waiting for someone to hold a stereo over their heads and play Peter Gabriel?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Everyone does. He's called the "get back" coach. Usually the S&C guy...can't afford the penalties. :)
Although I agree, I will say Kirby was so out of control on our sideline, we had a guy in charge of wrangling him in with a rope tied to his belt!  It seems like that might be something coaches can overcome when needed.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If you've ever run your own company you'll understand why making less and having far less responsibility can be a worthy trade for some people.
I get what you're saying but it's a lot easier decision for someone like Venables when his "making less" is still over $2M per year. I'm not begrudging him for what he makes but it's a far more difficult decision when you're talking about the average person deciding between more money / responsibility..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I love how after they beat us this year all this talk in the media and elsewhere started about how much better and fun the culture is at Clemson compared to Alabama. Where was all that talk in 2018 when we beat them down 24-6 and held them to under 200 yards?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I love how after they beat us this year all this talk in the media and elsewhere started about how much better and fun the culture is at Clemson compared to Alabama. Where was all that talk in 2018 when we beat them down 24-6 and held them to under 200 yards?
To be fair, they all stayed, and maybe that is why they stayed. They clearly have a different culture over there. I am glad that it is working out for them. But I'd rather have Saban than Dabo and his culture.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A clempson fan told me that one "didn't count, because it was not a title game".

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
They are lucky to have Brent. As a business owner, I can tell you how much of a luxury it is for Dabo to have a DC of his caliber that is happy making good money not being the head man. It is a bigtime luxury. That said, Saban has built a program that does not rely on any one coach so much on either side of the ball. As long as we have a very good veteran defensive coach at the DC position we can have a dominant D because of the talent infusion every year. That is not to say I would not LOVE to have a Venables or Foster or Chavis but we really are just fine having a superb CEO that cut his teeth on the D side of the ball.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
A clempson fan told me that one "didn't count, because it was not a title game".
99% of Clemson fans wouldn't suggest it 'doesn't count'. That game hurt... and frankly is a big reason why we won it this year (was obvious we needed a change at QB).

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
99% of Clemson fans wouldn't suggest it 'doesn't count'. That game hurt... and frankly is a big reason why we won it this year (was obvious we needed a change at QB).
Based on that logic and Historic Saban revenge games... Clemson might want to just reject any invitation next year to the playoffs

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, that seems to me to be more a media driven point, saying that Clemson won 2 of 3 championship games as if the CFP game last year somehow didn't happen. They will say that the two teams met 4 years in a row, but only talk W/L in the championship games.

Silly media doing silly things.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
To be fair, they all stayed, and maybe that is why they stayed. They clearly have a different culture over there. I am glad that it is working out for them. But I'd rather have Saban than Dabo and his culture.
If the "they' you're referring to is the defensive line they stayed because they were not all first round draft picks like everyone played them up to be. They're great college players and a few of them will be first rounders this year but they didn't have 4 first round defensive lineman come back which was the narrative all year long. Ferrell is the only one who might have been first round from the group that came back. All that to say we've had players come back also. D Harris could've left. Jalen could've left. We had several this year come back who could have left. I just think it's lazy journalism when the media play up the fun and laid back culture of Clemson when they win but no mention of how it might be a negative when they lose. Really doesn't matter that much but it's the off season so we start going down these rabbit holes..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If the "they' you're referring to is the defensive line they stayed because they were not all first round draft picks like everyone played them up to be. They're great college players and a few of them will be first rounders this year but they didn't have 4 first round defensive lineman come back which was the narrative all year long. Ferrell is the only one who might have been first round from the group that came back. All that to say we've had players come back also. D Harris could've left. Jalen could've left. We had several this year come back who could have left. I just think it's lazy journalism when the media play up the fun and laid back culture of Clemson when they win but no mention of how it might be a negative when they lose. Really doesn't matter that much but it's the off season so we start going down these rabbit holes..
They don't have 4 first rounders this year either. My guess is 2 will go first round.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.