What is Brent Venables waiting for? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: What is Brent Venables waiting for?

I have heard that the stability at Clemson (Asst. Coaches) is due to the family type atmosphere that exists under Dabo.

If you've ever run your own company you'll understand why making less and having far less responsibility can be a worthy trade for some people.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

John Chavis (62) has been defensive coordinator for 28% of the SEC and is making 1.5 million per year.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
    But Dabo is certainly emotionally involved.
    When he's using strong verbiage on the sidelines while getting on a player's case, does he chastise, critique with Godly words?
    Now, that was an excellent speech Dabo gave at the People's House in D. C. However, everyone can hear that. What does he say on
    the sidelines to get their 100% attention?

Seems, many coaches use profane words since they have a LIMITED, minuscule vocabulary.

To be a head coach you do need a somewhat extensive vocabulary to meet with the media. Does Venables have one.? I've really never heard him talk.
    But I know he's had to prior to playoff, championship games when the media meets with the OC's and DC's.

While rereading the previous paragraph, I just thought, does Coach Yaw Yaw have an extensive Cajun vocabulary?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View View Post
    I have heard that the stability at Clemson (Asst. Coaches) is due to the family type atmosphere that exists under Dabo.
    So, do they all go to Church together on Sundays?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    If you've ever run your own company you'll understand why making less and having far less responsibility can be a worthy trade for some people.
    When decisions have to be made, everyone looks at the BOSS for those decisions. Some people are satisfied just to be a part of the winning team with fewer responsibilities and don't
    mind being in a ROLE that makes the BOSS look good. Is Venables one of these types of persons? Because of his success at Oklahoma and at Clemson, you'd think he'd be a great head coach by now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    When decisions have to be made, everyone looks at the BOSS for those decisions. Some people are satisfied just to be a part of the winning team with fewer responsibilities and don't
    mind being in a ROLE that makes the BOSS look good. Is Venables one of these types of persons? Because of his success at Oklahoma and at Clemson, you'd think he'd be a great head coach by now.
    It is about a whole lot more than taking responsibility or making your boss look good. You have to makes huge personal sacrifices to be the CEO.

BamaNation All-American

i look to Monte Kiffin as a perfect example of an incredible coach who just didn't care about being a HC.

he's a legend but was always apparently happy being a DC.

he was a head coach for like 3 years at NC State maybe?

I also was never able to figure out how a pain in the butt like Lane came from a quiet and humble dude like Monte.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    What does he say on
    the sidelines to get their 100% attention?
    He tells them if they don't start playing better, they will not be invited to the next pizza party.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    Any idea what job he's got his eye on? He definitely could have a HC job by now, if he wasn't waiting on a certain one.
    Simple, he’s said numerous times he’s not going anywhere until his son graduates, and even then it’s gotta be something nice. He’s making over 2 mil a year. Hasn’t he turned down a lot of smaller jobs as Oklahoma and Clemson DC?

Dabo has done a great job keeping his staff together, it’s a big reason they’ve won 2 of 3.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I could see BV possibly taking the K State job the next time it opens up—probably in 3-4 years.

Based on what he's said and recent opportunities passed on, I think he'll be the DC as long as they're winning and Dabo is the HC. We just need to beat them next opportunity WITH him as the DC.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    He tells them if they don't start playing better, they will not be invited to the next pizza party.
    Whatever...say what we will, Dabo has obviously crafted a winning culture/system at Clemson. Sure kicked our butts. Now, could he replicate that elsewhere? We might well have a chance to find out in the three to four years or so.