What is Brent Venables waiting for?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Al.com did an article on this before the game. He says hes,genuinely happy in Clemson and says its low pressure and he has timr to spend with family. Would lose that as a head coach and eoukdnt work for say, Saban (or an sec team), because he would hate the work load

I think hes a good fit for an NFL DC, and would have an even lighter workload (no recruiting) but he seems to enjoy college more, same as Saban.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
i look to Monte Kiffin as a perfect example of an incredible coach who just didn't care about being a HC.

he's a legend but was always apparently happy being a DC.

he was a head coach for like 3 years at NC State maybe?

I also was never able to figure out how a pain in the butt like Lane came from a quiet and humble dude like Monte.
I've actually THOUGHT the same thing many times...Coach Kiffin recruited me when I was in H.S...and he was always so nice and professional...my parents loved him! I did not go to N.C. State but I certainly thought long and hard about it just because of him.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Some people just don't like change. I found out I was not cut out to be the boss of other employees. I made what I considered to be good money and had a relatively good career. Sometimes you realize where you are is where you want to be.
I have no idea if CBV is like this, but so far in his career it appears that he is happy with the job he has.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
99% of Clemson fans wouldn't suggest it 'doesn't count'. That game hurt... and frankly is a big reason why we won it this year (was obvious we needed a change at QB).
. That 99% is waaaaay too high! I believe you believe that. But on the other end, we hear something different!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Simple, he’s said numerous times he’s not going anywhere until his son graduates, and even then it’s gotta be something nice. He’s making over 2 mil a year. Hasn’t he turned down a lot of smaller jobs as Oklahoma and Clemson DC?

Dabo has done a great job keeping his staff together, it’s a big reason they’ve won 2 of 3.
Brent has put down roots until his son is graduated.
I can't really blame him.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
$2M+ a year, in Clemson, SC, where that money goes a loooonnnnggg way, maybe the most secure DC position in college football, the HC stays out of your way, no HC pressure, neither he nor his family live in the HC fishbowl, does what he loves....sign me up for that!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
There is a report that the Chiefs just fired their DC and BV is being considered as a replacement. He is from Kansas. A lot more down time in the NFL, than College! Not likely to happen , but we will see.
Venables is on a roll, but wasn’t he the DC when West Virginia hung 70 on them 5-6 years ago?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
I give credit to those individuals who know they have a good thing going and have all they need and are happy and don't go mess it up because everyone thinks you're supposed to keep moving up. Sometimes the Peter Principle takes effect too. Not all coordinators make good head coaches, but I could see Venables taking the KSt. job someday after his kids are grown.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I give credit to those individuals who know they have a good thing going and have all they need and are happy and don't go mess it up because everyone thinks you're supposed to keep moving up. Sometimes the Peter Principle takes effect too. Not all coordinators make good head coaches, but I could see Venables taking the KSt. job someday after his kids are grown.
I would think that if he keeps producing top defenses he will go to a far better football school than KState.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would think that if he keeps producing top defenses he will go to a far better football school than KState.
I think that the point is that he is from Kansas, and that is the best HC job in the state.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There is a report that the Chiefs just fired their DC and BV is being considered as a replacement. He is from Kansas. A lot more down time in the NFL, than College! Not likely to happen , but we will see.
Venables is on a roll, but wasn’t he the DC when West Virginia hung 70 on them 5-6 years ago?
KC needed to fire their DC. They were looking like Oklahoma out there all year. Great offense, terrible defense.

I just read that Rex Ryan is also a candidate. It is the NFL, so it will probably be Ryan. All the NFL ever does is use failed recycled coaches.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
KC needed to fire their DC. They were looking like Oklahoma out there all year. Great offense, terrible defense.

I just read that Rex Ryan is also a candidate. It is the NFL, so it will probably be Ryan. All the NFL ever does is use failed recycled coaches.
Rex is a great DC - that is where he needs to focus. Reid has a great offensive mind, but he needs a better DC. I think that those two, together, could do very well.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Rex is a great DC - that is where he needs to focus. Reid has a great offensive mind, but he needs a better DC. I think that those two, together, could do very well.
Reid’s teams always have good offenses. I cannot remember any Andy Reid team having a great defense. Now Reid has arguably the best young QB in the NFL, but KC’s defense was so bad they lost games when they scored a ton of points. As far as Ryan is concerned, he has been out of football and in the studio for a couple of years, and he could be rusty. This is a very important hire for Reid. He most likely will go with the safer hire and hire an NFL guy and not a college guy. My money would be on Ryan and not Venables.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get that...but if he is really good he will go to a top 5/10 program. CNS is from WV but you haven't seen him coveting any jobs there...even when he was at MSU.
Venables seems to have different goals in his life than Saban (or most other coaches).

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Reid’s teams always have good offenses. I cannot remember any Andy Reid team having a great defense. Now Reid has arguably the best young QB in the NFL, but KC’s defense was so bad they lost games when they scored a ton of points. As far as Ryan is concerned, he has been out of football and in the studio for a couple of years, and he could be rusty. This is a very important hire for Reid. He most likely will go with the safer hire and hire an NFL guy and not a college guy. My money would be on Ryan and not Venables.
The early 2000s Eagles teams had GREAT defenses. Better than the offense most years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.