What is Brent Venables waiting for? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CoastGhost's Avatar

Re: What is Brent Venables waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    So, do they all go to Church together on Sundays?
    Yeah, Newspring Church to be precise.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

Al.com did an article on this before the game. He says hes,genuinely happy in Clemson and says its low pressure and he has timr to spend with family. Would lose that as a head coach and eoukdnt work for say, Saban (or an sec team), because he would hate the work load

I think hes a good fit for an NFL DC, and would have an even lighter workload (no recruiting) but he seems to enjoy college more, same as Saban.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Was talking more about the coaches.
    Oh, well most of them have been there for years. Didn't realize any of them had offers last year they turned down..

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i look to Monte Kiffin as a perfect example of an incredible coach who just didn't care about being a HC.

he's a legend but was always apparently happy being a DC.

he was a head coach for like 3 years at NC State maybe?

I also was never able to figure out how a pain in the butt like Lane came from a quiet and humble dude like Monte.
    I've actually THOUGHT the same thing many times...Coach Kiffin recruited me when I was in H.S...and he was always so nice and professional...my parents loved him! I did not go to N.C. State but I certainly thought long and hard about it just because of him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    A clempson fan told me that one "didn't count, because it was not a title game".
    But they came into that game Ranked #1. And the #4 team BEAT them.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Some people just don't like change. I found out I was not cut out to be the boss of other employees. I made what I considered to be good money and had a relatively good career. Sometimes you realize where you are is where you want to be.
    I have no idea if CBV is like this, but so far in his career it appears that he is happy with the job he has.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTown View Post
    99% of Clemson fans wouldn't suggest it 'doesn't count'. That game hurt... and frankly is a big reason why we won it this year (was obvious we needed a change at QB).
    . That 99% is waaaaay too high! I believe you believe that. But on the other end, we hear something different!
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by pluckngrit View Post
    Simple, he’s said numerous times he’s not going anywhere until his son graduates, and even then it’s gotta be something nice. He’s making over 2 mil a year. Hasn’t he turned down a lot of smaller jobs as Oklahoma and Clemson DC?

Dabo has done a great job keeping his staff together, it’s a big reason they’ve won 2 of 3.
    Brent has put down roots until his son is graduated.
    I can't really blame him.

FB|BB Moderator

$2M+ a year, in Clemson, SC, where that money goes a loooonnnnggg way, maybe the most secure DC position in college football, the HC stays out of your way, no HC pressure, neither he nor his family live in the HC fishbowl, does what he loves....sign me up for that!
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

And then there's this, from FootballScoop.com:
    Clemson: Defensive coordinator Brent Venables gets a $200k retention bonus today,Darren Rovell tweets.[/COLOR]

There is a report that the Chiefs just fired their DC and BV is being considered as a replacement. He is from Kansas. A lot more down time in the NFL, than College! Not likely to happen , but we will see.
    Venables is on a roll, but wasn’t he the DC when West Virginia hung 70 on them 5-6 years ago?
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Second Team

I give credit to those individuals who know they have a good thing going and have all they need and are happy and don't go mess it up because everyone thinks you're supposed to keep moving up. Sometimes the Peter Principle takes effect too. Not all coordinators make good head coaches, but I could see Venables taking the KSt. job someday after his kids are grown.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebet View Post
    I give credit to those individuals who know they have a good thing going and have all they need and are happy and don't go mess it up because everyone thinks you're supposed to keep moving up. Sometimes the Peter Principle takes effect too. Not all coordinators make good head coaches, but I could see Venables taking the KSt. job someday after his kids are grown.
    I would think that if he keeps producing top defenses he will go to a far better football school than KState.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead